Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What is the max carring weight on cb500?

dave tomo

What is the max carring weight on cb500?

Post by dave tomo on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 9:43 pm

Travelling to Norway bike feels a bit heavy loaded up (over done it with the pork pies) no serious, this is first trip to Europe on 1997 CB500, need to know maximum carry weight for bike can anyone help??

Cheers

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: What is the max carring weight on cb500?

Post by sullivj on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 10:04 pm

I've had top box, two hard side cases on and me,and it's not bottomed out. And I'm big boned!

Not sure on the official figure, but I would be suprised if you could overload it without trying really hard. If the front wheel's still on the ground, you should be ok. Just corner a bit easier.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 1:06 am

Max payload including rider(s) is 184kg.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 5:44 am

Have a look at TownieVsTheWorld. Picture on front page tells a story Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 1:20 pm

jchesshyre wrote:Max payload including rider(s) is 184kg.

So if you allow 100kg for a large-ish rider, that leaves you 84kg to play with.

Which is, quite frankly, more than enough (assuming you are not taking a pillion).

If you are loading the bike up then you should make sure that you set the shocks to max. preload and add some pressure to the rear tyre (exactly as you would do for a pillion).

The bike will ride differently with more loading/luggage but, in my experience, this isn't too bad, especially if you are used to it.

If you have never done this kind of thing before then strap on all your luggage and add some suitable ballast, ideally heavier than you would want to carry during the 'real trip' and go for a ride, preferably one that encompasses various different types of roads, speeds and conditions. Hopefully you should be pleasantly surprised with how the CB performs.

One note of caution: however you load up the bike, you will end up altering the centre of gravity (probably by making it higher), this will probably pass pretty much unnoticed once the bike is moving above a walking pace. When moving slowly or when stationary you might need to exercise a little caution especially on poor surfaces like gravel when putting your foot down etc.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

I've had myself (15st) and best mate (14st) pillion fully loaded with luggage touring the Isle of Wight, it handled it well; just make sure your tyre pressures are setup correctly as already mentioned.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

teamster1975 wrote:I've had myself (15st) and best mate (14st) pillion fully loaded with luggage touring the Isle of Wight, it handled it well; just make sure your tyre pressures are setup correctly as already mentioned.

As a matter of interest:

29 st = 406 lbs = 184.3 kg

So, assuming you had *any* luggage, the bike was overladen, but only by the weight of your luggage.

I suspect that Mr. Honda may be slightly conservative in his maximum loading figure, hence why anyone hasn't had a problem yet.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 17 Jun 2014, 4:23 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:
As a matter of interest:

29 st = 406 lbs = 184.3 kg

So, assuming you had *any* luggage, the bike was overladen, but only by the weight of your luggage.

I suspect that Mr. Honda may be slightly conservative in his maximum loading figure, hence why anyone hasn't had a problem yet.

To be fair it handled perfectly fine, I did the obligatory adjustments to rear shocks and tyre pressures! Luggage was tents, sleeping bags etc and panniers with 8 beers per side Wink
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

teamster1975 wrote:
To be fair it handled perfectly fine, I did the obligatory adjustments to rear shocks and tyre pressures! Luggage was tents, sleeping bags etc and panniers with 8 beers per side Wink

Which just shows the CB500 is 'up for it' when it comes to touring/holidays/luggage etc.
dave tomo

Re Max carring weight

Post by dave tomo on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice, been a great help!.
Cheers
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 10:25 pm

I could be wrong, but I am guessing if you had an accident and the bike was carrying more than the stated weight you could be in very serious trouble?

I wasn't at all impressed when I noticed the weight limit as it is VERY low.
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:20 pm

I got the 184kg figure from the Haynes manual.

Just checked the owner's manual, and it states

'Cargo weight alone should not exceed 19 kg (42 lbs).'

That seems pretty low to me!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 6:27 am

06:26:18
alanesq wrote:I could be wrong, but I am guessing if you had an accident and the bike was carrying more than the stated weight you could be in very serious trouble?

I wasn't at all impressed when I noticed the weight limit as it is VERY low.

I work for an Insurance company. We've never weighed a crashed bike or it's rider.
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:18 pm

I would have thought a crash investigator would check this sort of thing?

Motor caravans for example are sometimes spot checked to make sure they are not over weight.  Some are so badly designed that even just carrying a full tank of drinking water will take them over.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

jchesshyre wrote:I got the 184kg figure from the Haynes manual.

Just checked the owner's manual, and it states

'Cargo weight alone should not exceed 19 kg (42 lbs).'

That seems pretty low to me!

That is 19kg *with* a pillion (I suspect).

If you think about it, pretty much the heaviest thing you are *ever* going to carry on a motorcycle is another person...

19 kg cargo weight (based on our previous figure of 184 kg) is (for arguments sake) one rider and a passenger, one weighing 85 kg and one weighing 80 kg, so:

184 - 80 - 85 = 19 kg.

That would be my cynical take on it...

As long as your luggage is secured well, low down on the bike inside the wheelbase (ie. as little weight as possible in the top box) then you shouldn't have any problems.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

That's a good point ET. The Krauser K5 max carrying weight litrally doubles when being used as a side box.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:11 am