Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Headstock bearing replacement

georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Headstock bearing replacement

Post by georgecb500 on Mon 09 Jun 2014, 9:11 pm

Ok, so I spent a bit of time this wkend stripping the front of the bike down ready for swapping the fork seals sometime soon.  I noticed that the steering had a definite "notchiness" (that might be a word I've just invented  confused ) when passing through the centre position.

I was a bit surprised as its only got 16k miles on it and thought something like this would fail at higher milages?  Is that the usually the case?

I can't really explain why they would have gone so early.  It has been crashed once, but I've never managed a wheelie on it so doubt its down to abuse.  Is it just one of those things?

Anyway, I've had a bit of a read of the Haynes and searched the forum for previous topics.  Its seems Mr Haynes is a bit sneaky regarding how easy it is to get the bottom outer race out of the head stock.  So, I'm kind of in two minds about it (as usual!).  It makes sense to do it now whilst I'll be dealing with the leaky fork seals.  But I'd like to get peoples opinions/hints/tips/lessons learned the hard way on how best to tackle it at home.

Any "designs" for race removal tools would be much appreciated.

Also does everyone go for genuine honda replacement bearings or are there better (& cheaper) equivalents from SKF etc?

As always thanks for any help in advance.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: Headstock bearing replacement

Post by geewhizz on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:36 am

I did this recently and posted about it here http://www.cb500club.net/t2461-advice-fitting-new-steering-head-bearing. 

There's a tool for the job that sounds worthy of trying that the-wasp suggested. 

It was a pig of a job without it.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

Yes it can be a pain to do. I think the key idea that I have heard from a number of people is a bent drift, in other words a bent bit of metal you can use to hammer the bottom race out with.

I *thought* that I needed to replace my head bearings but they were only loose and in need of grease, while I was there I took it all apart and realised that I didn't have anything that would help get the bottom bearing shell out of the frame tube - I reckon that you would need to 'make' the appropriate tool out of a bit of steel bar.

I suspect it would need a suitable 'end' grinding into it which could be done with a file or a grinding wheel and a bend applying, which would probably need a hammer and a vice.
georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Post by georgecb500 on Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:19 pm

Yeah, perhaps its worth a bit more investigation whilst I'm doing the forks.  Hopefully I can get away with regreasing them and tightening the bearing up a little.

Busy this weekend tho, so it will have to wait for now.
georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Post by georgecb500 on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:52 pm

@Eternally

when you say the bearings were loose in your case .... was that loose in the sense that you could tell there was some play in the forks when you had the front wheel off the floor?

I've had another look at this today and can't detect any play or loose feeling with the front end.  The only untoward thing is the fact the steering feels like it has a massive dent in the bearing at centre position!

Hopefully I can get some bits priced up and ordered this week.  No time to see to it this weekend tho, not with "Le Tour" approaching!
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:03 am

When i replaced the head bearing on my cb500, I came to the conclusion that the design of this bearing is just some kind of sick joke :-(

On mine at least there was a slight gap above the bottom one where I was able to split a very large washer and push into this gap enough to then knock it out (by hitting against the washer).
The top one I just had to cut out.

Last edited by alanesq on Fri 04 Jul 2014, 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Thu 03 Jul 2014, 12:54 pm

I changed my head bearings about a month ago and I actually used an air drummer to grind the race in half, there was no lip at all to get a purchase on with a drift.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Jul 2014, 12:40 pm

@georgecb500 wrote:@Eternally

when you say the bearings were loose in your case .... was that loose in the sense that you could tell there was some play in the forks when you had the front wheel off the floor?

I've had another look at this today and can't detect any play or loose feeling with the front end.  The only untoward thing is the fact the steering feels like it has a massive dent in the bearing at centre position!

Hopefully I can get some bits priced up and ordered this week.  No time to see to it this weekend tho, not with "Le Tour" approaching!

Yes, you could feel a 'clunk' when you pressed on the brakes and when you waggled the forks backwards and forwards - it was rectified by correctly tightening the adjuster.

Your bearings sound like they are worn and need replacing - you can somtimes get more life out of them by re-greasing (which might mask the notchiness for a bit) but won't be a permanent solution. Given how much of the front you have to remove to get at the bearings you should probably just replace them if you can.
georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Post by georgecb500 on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 10:16 pm

@eternally

thanks for the reply, good to get a description for comparison.  I can't detect any untoward play in the forks or any clunking on braking. 

I've decided to replace the bearings, but might wait until I take it off the road this winter, don't think it needs doing urgently.  Plus it's now got new fork seals so think I ought to get out on it a bit more!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm