Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Need a new clutch.

hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Need a new clutch.

Post by hobbes748 on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:36 am

Good morning guys

It looks like my clutch is goosed and needs replacing (it won't go into neutral when the engine heats up unless the bike is still moving) and from what I've read on t'internet it's most likely bad oil, a notched basket or warped clutch plates. The first two options where eliminated when it went in for it's last service, so the next step it to replace the clutch.

So what brand is the best one to go for? I'll be buying new steels and springs as well.

Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Need a new clutch.

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 12:28 am

In the past I've had no problem with whichever cheapo/generic brand wemoto.com (or whoever) are knocking out, that was, admittedly on other bikes.

Not wanting to sound obvious, but have you have checked the adjustment/condition of the cable?  I suspect that having the cable too loose could have this kind of effect.

Also, slightly less obvious, even if you do change the clutch plates if you have a notched basket you will (at best) have to do a bit of fileing to (carefully) smooth them out.
hobbes748
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by hobbes748 on Fri 06 Jun 2014, 9:49 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:In the past I've had no problem with whichever cheapo/generic brand wemoto.com (or whoever) are knocking out, that was, admittedly on other bikes.

Not wanting to sound obvious, but have you have checked the adjustment/condition of the cable?  I suspect that having the cable too loose could have this kind of effect.

Also, slightly less obvious, even if you do change the clutch plates if you have a notched basket you will (at best) have to do a bit of fileing to (carefully) smooth them out.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've checked the cable and when it went into Honda for its last service they removed the clutch & basket and smoothed the edges back down. They were fairly confident that would be the problem rectified - but noooooooooooo.... it still does it.  Evil or Very Mad 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 3:37 pm