Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front fork bang

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Front fork bang

Post by muttley1 on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:38 pm

Hi,
just bled the front brake through and bounced the front forks to check all good. Fair old clanking noise from what sounds like the bottom of the forks. I thought wheel bearing or headraces but these feel fine and bike recently mot'd so not them.

Prev owner has fitted hagon springs so maybe the internals aren't as they should be?

Anyone else had this, noise is loud, not a click.

muttley1
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: Front fork bang

Post by geewhizz on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 11:43 pm

That's interesting, I've an issue that may not be the same but I replaced the steering bearing recently to rectified the notchy steering. However there was also a a sort of clicking under heavy breaking which hasn't gone away. The wheel bearing seems fine, but will replace them anyway, however, I've began to suspect something in the forks as there seems to be a little internal play when i pull them back and forth. I dismantled the forks last year and was pretty sure I put them back together properly. As I say my symptoms aren't quite the same but I'd be interested to hear from people who know better.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:14 pm

@geewhizz wrote:.....However there was also a a sort of clicking under heavy breaking which hasn't gone away........

I had this, too. My wheel bearings and head races are fine. I recently rebuilt my forks with new seals and bushes but the noise was still there. I began to think it sounded as if it was coming from the caliper, so I took it apart and found I was missing part no. 6 on here. So I bought a new 'un.

It actually turned out to be that the caliper sliding pins were a bit dry of lube, so I smothered them in Silkolene Pro RG2 (some may prefer a higher melting-point grease) and the noise has since disappeared.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:10 pm

thanks badseeds, will have a look, hopefully it will be something similarly straightforward.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

@muttley1 wrote:Hi,
just bled the front brake through and bounced the front forks to check all good. Fair old clanking noise from what sounds like the bottom of the forks. I thought wheel bearing or headraces but these feel fine and bike recently mot'd so not them.

Prev owner has fitted hagon springs so maybe the internals aren't as they should be?

Anyone else had this, noise is loud, not a click.

muttley1

I wonder whether they forgot to refit the cup to the bottom of the damper, Must admit I've rebuilt the leg and found it left over in the past!
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Thu 05 Jun 2014, 2:40 pm

This forum should be called CbPedia!!!
Always amazed by suggested options for solving a certain problem...even though many are not the solution, they are perfectly valid from theoretic point.
You guys rock!

Speaking of which!
BEST ROCK N ROLL IN YEARS

Already heard them twice, live, and they are such a magnificent band!
They are like Zeppelin, Hendrix, Sabath, shaken, not stirred!

Smile
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm

I think I've sorted my problem, the wheel bearings were worn out. Also tightened up the steering bearing after a couple of hundred miles running in the new race/bearings and all seemed reassuringly back to normal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm