Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Under seat exhaust

JoshSingleton
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Under seat exhaust

Post by JoshSingleton on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

I'm looking if anyone has had an under seat exhaust made for their cb. I'm looking at getting one made but don't have a clue how to route it through to the back discretely.
If there is already a thread on this, please post the link or pictures.
Thanks 
Josh
lucky13
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Re: Under seat exhaust

Post by lucky13 on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 5:34 pm

It's possible, someone has done one on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SECWQZ1wQQ

Looks like a fairly standard can (there are 2 different ones in the pics) with a custom link pipe onto the original down pipes.  But it also looks like you may need to mod or change the tail unit to create the space for the can...
JoshSingleton
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by JoshSingleton on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 8:47 pm

Yeh I've had a look but there's no real signs of how it's routed to there
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:43 am

That video is of the 'Fast Bikes' project 1k thingy - how to spend a lot more than 1k on a CB500 and not actually *get* much more... anyway, they removed the airbox (because they were using the pod filters) which will have gained them the space to route the exhaust under the seat.

If *you* wanted to do it then you might have to something different (assuming you don't want to loose the airbox) involving routing the exhaust up the side of the bike and back under.
JoshSingleton
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by JoshSingleton on Tue 03 Jun 2014, 5:53 pm

Would the pod filters affect the performance? Better airflow? Worse? Would anyone recommend them?  And if not I'll have to have a proper look to see where else I could route it.
toffeeroffles
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by toffeeroffles on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 2:25 am

Thats my ride Smile

I junked the pods as the tune was pretty awful. I definitely would not recommend them unless you are very good friends with a tuner/dyno guy. They needed 275 jets (up from 220 stock)and a few hours tinkering with drilling the slides and chopping springs. Back to stock airbox and K&N, its much smoother. The pod tune dyno graph is actually quite a laugh, for a time power actually drops off as engine speed increase. Now its hardly noticeable when riding but you can see it on the dyno graph where it flattens out a little.

The routing the guys at JHS Racing done gives a flat spot at around 5.5k rpm, which was highlighted massively with the pods and huge jets. Peak BHP was around 51.9BHP now running at 49.9BHP but much more usable.

It runs the standard front pipes with 2 links. One funky S shape, then another up through the swing arm hole and up under seat. Its the S bend that interrupts pressure pulses and makes the flat spot. It does the job though Smile

The routing of the second pipe requires the removal of the coolant expansion tank (I replaced this with a small HRC catch tank) and some serious chopping of the battery box/under seat storage box.

When I bought the bike it had no rear sub frame under the seat unit and I had one fabbed up to mount the lights etc upon. The frame was completely chopped off just behind the shock mounts.

The tail unit is a CBR600 03/04 I believe, a fibreglass race tail. There are some other pics in the user galleries of a black CB with the road bike tail fitted, same model.

I also had a seat made up at Viking Seats near Brandshatch, much better then 10mm of race seat foam.

The original endcan was from an R6 and was apparently mentally loud. The guys at FastBikes sent the previous owner CBR600 BOS endcan which it currently runs. Its quite large and does a very good job of keeping the bike at a respectable db level. It has a baffle in the end but after having a good look at, doesnt do much. Just moderates the sound a tad. It is CE stamped for road use and passed the MOT fine.

It does the job and look ace that forsure but I do think some more thought could have gone into its design. To take the swingarm out for service I had to dissemble the exhaust. Its all stainless apart from a few welds and has held up well to the weather it has seen. But does start to leak at some joins after 5k miles or so and need pulling apart, sealing with exhaust silicone and reclamping.

It was done on the cheap but they did get alot of rather costly work done at "mates rates".

The very best option would be to contact the place the racers use.Simmi. Their front pipe is designed for a left exit and routes towards the hole in the swingarm, which would be perfect. They also have a slightly larger bore and give more power (upto the 52BHP regulation limit). Its quite pricey though Sad

I have had a post on my bike half written for a few months now. I should finish it off it would seem Smile

The BOS can sounds really good, loud enough with out setting off car alarms every 5mins. I am very tempted to hear what it would be like with the baffle out but have not bought myself to breaking the weld on the bolt yet.

JoshSingleton
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by JoshSingleton on Fri 13 Jun 2014, 7:23 am

Thanks for that mate, it's really help me out Smile and probably the guys that will be making my exhaust! I guessed the storage box would have basically needed to be chopped out but didn't have a clue after that. Hopefully I'll be getting it done in the next few months so I'll get some pictures or a video up when it's don't Smile
Speedy Von Stig

Post by Speedy Von Stig on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

I swear I saw that CB at Sittingbourne Service Station once! Tofferoffles, do you live local to Sheppey? I ride that exact same stretch that you're on nearly every day.
toffeeroffles
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by toffeeroffles on Mon 16 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

You saw correct Smile Close, I have family on the island.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:20 pm

Pics and details on those mirrors, please. I think I like 'em!
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 22 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm

@toffeeroffles wrote:Thats my ride Smile . . . . .
excellent write up pal, good work.  Very Happy
toffeeroffles
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by toffeeroffles on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 1:40 am

Thanks Smile

The mirrors are bicycle mirrors (lol, Zefal Spy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zefal-Spy-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Mirror-Black-/171428123474?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item27e9e99352

Cheaper than what I paid. They do the job quite well though no where near as good as proper mirrors. They suit me for dual carriage ways, as well as shoulder checks more than anything else.

I had to do quite a bit of searching when I was looking after seeing a youtube vid of some guy with these on his supermoto.

The lenses are plastic and can be prone to scratching if you are not careful but they are well made.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 23 Aug 2014, 7:15 am

Thanks for your prompt reply, toffeeroffles. Your comments have made me rethink.
Hmmmm.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm