Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clutch cable wear

liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Clutch cable wear

Post by liverpool_f_ on Wed 28 May 2014, 8:15 pm

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and indeed cb500s so I could do with a little help. I have heard people having problems with their clutch cables wearing where they rub against the frame underneath the dials when you turn the bars. My bike is fairly high miles and the clutch cable sheath is pretty worn in the same place. I have come across many posts about longer cables and cables from other bikes that fit etc. and I was wondering if it was a problem at all to simply route the cable below the frame under the steering bearing rather than round the front of it. That is what I have done and it seems fine but I was wondering if there is a reason no one else has done that. Anyone know of a reason why it isn't a good idea? Seems to me like they would have done it out of the factory if it was a good idea though.

Any thoughts?
badseeds

Awesome!

Re: Clutch cable wear

Post by badseeds on Thu 29 May 2014, 12:10 am

You could re-route it. Or just ignore it. I replaced a perfectly good (operationally) clutch cable on my bike at 97,000 miles that had worn through the outer cable and was rusty inside. I only replaced it cos I had the tank off one day and just raided my spares cache.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 29 May 2014, 12:56 pm

You can equally get some kind of appropriately sized plastic sleeve and place that over the cable.

If you were really cheap you could get short length of hosepipe, cut it down one side and place it over the cable using plenty of gaffa tape to secure it...
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 30 May 2014, 8:20 am

Replacing the clutch cable is always nice if it's getting old, and it's a cheap and easy fix. I just gaffer tape the ends of the cables together and pull the old one out, which in doing so pulls the new one into place. No need to take the tank off. For something that costs less than the fuel to take me to and from work, I don't see the need to try to make it last for ages. Operation of the clutch is so much nicer when it's a new one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 26 Jul 2017, 7:38 am