Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Helmets

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Helmets

Post by ashcroc on Fri 16 May 2014, 12:25 am

With the days getting longer I'm thinking it's about time I got a new lid.

Can anyone recommend a quiet flip-front or full face with pinlock & recesses for intercom speakers for around £200?  I'm currently leaning towards a Caberg Duke from interweb reviews but would appreciate real world experience & options. For all I know it won't fit my head shape.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Re: Helmets

Post by jimbobs63 on Fri 16 May 2014, 10:46 am

Hi,

I noticed this week that a colleague has a Caberg helmet - turns out to be the Ego which is a bit cheaper than the Duke, but has most if not all the same features. 

He's very happy with it, especially for the air flow/ventilation it gives in summer, and of course it has the sun visor. He, like me, has prescription glasses and he doesn't then have to change to sunglasses when the sun comes out - he just flips the sun visor down.

As far as fit is concerned, we both have similar-shaped heads - quite oval - and he says it is a good fit for him.

Jim
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 16 May 2014, 7:54 pm

Never seen a lid with a sunroof before. Defo one to ponder on & being a full face it's lighter than the Duke too.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Sat 17 May 2014, 9:04 am

Yeah, looks a bit odd having that plate at the top!

I think the only thing lacking is the bluetooth capability of some of the more expensive models - if that is important to you....

Jim
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Sat 17 May 2014, 10:03 am

Bluetooth is important (though not the bespoke systems some manufacturers have) as I use a SENA SMH5-FM set so I can hear the satnav on my phone & listen to music. 

Having said that they have pretty slim speakers when not using the speaker pads (which I've read somewhere improves the sound quality) so most lids will work ok with them.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Sat 17 May 2014, 10:05 pm

Got a Duke + prescription glasses. Duke is nice, but noisy. Or perhaps it's just age; flipping the front up to put on the lid - while wearing glasses  - many times has somehow made the fit loose. ATM I'm compensating by wearing earplugs. Sun visor is definitely nice to have. 
Not impressed with ventilation. not impressed with the chin bar lock. Reasonable weight, but not anywhere near as comfortable for town work as my Römer pilot-helmet. For motorway use it's noisy.
There's a custom-built BT-set available for it.

Value-for-money? Yes. Top notch quality? No. Sort of like IKEA furniture - it works and you get your money's worth, but it's never really impressive.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 6:59 pm