Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Clamps holding the handlebars on

nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Clamps holding the handlebars on

Post by nigelb on Wed 14 May 2014, 5:45 pm

Hi

Bike has just passed an mot (once they'd replaced the front wheel bearings, which were badly shot!) but the guy pointed out an issue with the handlebars.

The left hand side is more bent than the right, and looking carefully it seems that the shaft of the clamp that holds the handlebars on is also bent on that side.

End result is the handlebar will (just) touch the petrol tank!

Looking at Lings  I'm talking about part 12 "holder, handle under".

So, it seems that I should replace the (pair of) 12's, plus the handlebars.

This suddenly starts to sound rather expensive!

I am also wary what I'm letting myself in for.

Flip side is the throttle area has obviously been botched at some stage, so you can't fit a bar end weight as it stands, would be nice to fix that.

I'm not that mechanically gifted (done an oil/filter change, also replaced the rear shocks ok), anyone got any advice?
What I was hoping to get away with was just the part 12 (and 11) above, but they're not cheap and if I then do the handlebar too we're talking a lot of money (for an old bike I got cheap).

Cheers

Nige
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Re: Clamps holding the handlebars on

Post by ANDYC on Wed 14 May 2014, 6:24 pm

I have a complete set of yokes including the clamps for £30 + postage, see my ad in the parts for sale section.
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 15 May 2014, 6:49 am

I assume you have a cb500s as the naked cb500 head stock doesn't have removable bar clamps.

There are a few bars on ebay at the moment though I'd be tempted to take it as an excuse to upgrade to a pair of renthals.
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Thu 15 May 2014, 7:53 am

Yup, CB500S, W reg (sorry I should have said).

Having a look round the renthals seem to be straighter?
To be honest if anything I'm actually looking for ones that come further back, reduce how much I have to reach forward (have neck and shoulder problems).  More looking to be sitting back in an "easy rider" position rather than wrapping myself round the tank to reach the handlebars.

Sounds like people on here have done handlebar swaps, apart from making sure the cable reaches work out (and possibly drilling a small hole to engage the throttle) is it a hard job, does stuff tend to be seized in place?

Cheers

Nige
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Thu 15 May 2014, 10:27 am

It's a relatively easy job. Getting the little hole in the right place for the throttle being the trickiest bit. Renthal bars come in three different heights, I'd think that the "high" ones would give you the riding position you're looking for, but best to try and see some in the flesh before you buy as IIRC they're the best part of £40 a set. I have a pair on my bicycle, of all things, and I like them a lot. Swapping all the bits over is straightforward, just approach the job methodically and you'll be fine. It's worth removing the levers etc. before you take the plunge on buying new bars that are radically different to your old ones, just to see how much slack you've got in the various cables. Extending them is likely to be more trouble than it's worth! Once you've got the bars and levers in the right place, offer up the throttle housing and tighten it lightly to use the locating tang to mark the bars where you need to drill the hole.  

You should be able to get a new clamp/mount from a breaker without spending too much money; although you may need to buy a pair.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on. Glen.
rwhitton
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by rwhitton on Thu 15 May 2014, 1:20 pm

I've got renthal 'flat' bars on my S model. Be aware the bring the master cylinder banjo very close to fork cap. I've put an extra washer between clamps and yokes but still have to position brake lever more or less horizontal to give clearance when mount flexes. Remember to get correct size bar end plugs also. They are smaller on alloy bars. Just make sure things are actually bent, its possible they can just be misaligned after a drop. Slacken yokes and clamps off and try twisting back into line. Obviously don't let forks slide up through yokes Smile
mikeh
Godly
Godly

Post by mikeh on Thu 15 May 2014, 1:59 pm

I fitted Renthal Superbike Low handlebars on my CB500S when I first got it. They were higher and wider than the originals, most of the cables were pulled to their limit and they meant the arms of the mirrors hit the fairing on full lock. That said, they felt so much more comfortable than the standard bars and gave a much more upright riding position.

Since getting my bike back after having it stolen, I noticed they'd bent the Renthals so I have ordered a set of ultra low bars to replace them with. I ordered mine from Demon Tweeks on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141167225167?var=440240867396&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm