Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Switched to reserve, but no fuel :(

Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Switched to reserve, but no fuel :(

Post by Szabi on Wed 14 May 2014, 12:41 pm

Just wondering whether anybody else has experienced this-

Recently I wanted to test my fuel range, so was busy building up the milage day by day, until yesterday I ran out on the road. Pulled over, switched to reserve, but nothing... the bike didn't start. Opened the tank to have a look and I did not see any fuel inside, however I did not have a torch with me, so not 100%.

Luckly I had a small aluminium bottle full of petrol with me (just in case Smile), so there was no problem getting home, but I was surprised that my reserve doesn't work.

This must also be a new issue, as I do remember that a few months ago I ran out of petrol, switched to reserve and the bike started up with no issues.

Anybody had similar problem? I guess I'm gonna have to strip the fuel tank down!?

Thanks
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Re: Switched to reserve, but no fuel :(

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 14 May 2014, 12:55 pm

Hi Szabi,

It may seem obvious, but are you sure you had the fuel tap in the correct position for main tank rather than reserve? This almost caught me out....! The lever in the down position is main, and in the up position is reserve, with off horizxontally in between.  If you got it wrong then you'd draw petrol from both the main and reserve levels of the tank before you run out of petrol.  However, given that you have run out on main before, I would guess that this wouldn't be the reason this time.

The second idea I had was that the tube from the tap going up into the tank may be missing, disconnected or damaged, again meaning that you draw petrol from both main and reserve levels of the tank until it all runs out, iirrespective of the tap position.

Jim
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Wed 14 May 2014, 1:00 pm

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply.

I double-triple checked when I ran out of fuel and the fuel tap was set up correctly:
down-on
horizontal-reserve
up-reserve

So it was originally down, and I later turned it up, but nothing.

I have just realised after reading your second suggestion, that recently I repainted the whole bike- including the fuel tank. I have removed the tank and I possible reconnected the hoses incorrectly!!??  Neutral .... OK, I better have a look today Smile

Thanks again. Will let you know of the outcome. I think there is a very good chance that I messed up the hoses a bit when reconnecting them.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 14 May 2014, 1:35 pm

There are four hoses attached to the petrol tank, I think:

2 from the back - these are breathers/overflows
2 from the bottom/fuel tap - the vacuum pipe and the fuel pipe

If you trapped the vacuum pipe or fuel pipe the bike wouldn't work at all.

The reserve system works like this:

There is a 'high level' and 'low level' intake in the tank - when you move the tap you are selecting between the intakes. There is also a mesh screen/filter that sits over the intakes.

It is possible that the reserve intake has become blocked by debris, rust or other stuff, but that would assume that the mesh filter is knackered (which it could be).
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Wed 14 May 2014, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm... the previous owner also painted the tank, the problem is that he painted the inside of the 'filling wall'!?- or whatever it's called Smile

This:

So every time I went to refill, there was always a tiny drops of paint falling into the tank. I have tried to remove it with little success.

So I guess that means that the tank needs cleaning from the inside!? Would that be enough if I empty the tank, remove the whole tap-intake system and give it a good clean?

I'm supposed to go on holiday for 2 weeks leaving on Saturday Sad

Now I'm a bit scared that eventually the main intake will also get blocked...
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Wed 14 May 2014, 10:34 pm

Took the tank apart today and this is what it looked like:

The red stuff is the paint what I cleaned. There was also loads of dirt in the tank, which again I cleaned, however I did not see any screen filter and not sure how the reserve works now..

Is this the way how this meant to look like?
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Thu 15 May 2014, 10:20 am

Yeah, that does look like the fuel tap without the screen filter - which is item 2 in the drawing below:

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb500-1994kph-fuel-tank_bigecy5r41f__1300_b830.gif

Without that filter I guess it would be quite likely for crud to get stuck in the reserve inlet as eternally troubled explained.  I think the reserve inlet to the tap is to the side of that pipe, with both sitting inside the screen filter.

Hang on though, looking at the first two photos again, is that the screen filter left inside the tank when you took the tap out?

Jim
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 15 May 2014, 10:27 am

Yep that's the filter stuck in the boss, it happened on mine a couple of times.
Be careful getting it out as it's very easy to split it as they go brittle with age, also look out for the o-ring which sits at the base of it. In fact I can see that in your top photo, it looks a bit knackered; I'd replace that or you'll be losing fuel!
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Thu 15 May 2014, 1:33 pm

But where is my reserve intake??

Would it be this:

???
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Thu 15 May 2014, 1:45 pm

Yes Szabi,

I think that must be it, unless someone can correct me....!

Jim
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Fri 16 May 2014, 6:37 am

Thanks for your info Jim.

Now I'm off for some cb500 holiday Smile Will look into it again once I'm back.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 19 May 2014, 5:05 pm

Yes, that hole is the reserve intake.

Sorry my diagram was a bit 'conceptual' - I didn't actually draw what it looks like, I was just trying
to explain how it worked.

Hope the trip went OK.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:33 pm