Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New Rear Pads Fitted - Rubbing

jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

New Rear Pads Fitted - Rubbing

Post by jimbobs63 on Mon 12 May 2014 - 12:43

Hi,

Having replaced the rear sprockets and then the rear brake pads, I now find that the pads are rubbing against the disc.  It's only slight as I can still turn the back wheel when on the stand, and it's not generating much heat in the disc after a ride, so....

Is this normal with new pads, and should it go away?

Thanks,
Jim
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: New Rear Pads Fitted - Rubbing

Post by Beresford on Mon 12 May 2014 - 14:11

I found the same thing when I did a rear pad change last week. I think part of it is due to the "air spring" effect of a well greased slider pin when it is inserted into the blind hole in the caliper carrier. After a while the air can escape past the grease and the caliper becomes more centered on the disc.

Also I found that the rubber boot over the slider pin has a springy effect on the caliper causing it to move slightly and the pad to rub. The brake works fine so I didn't worry about it. I should say that with me my bike seems to eat rear pads ( <3000m ) though there is no sign of uneven wear as both the old pads were worn down equally.
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Mon 12 May 2014 - 14:30

i notcied it on my front ones but i put it down to just needing to be broken in. as long as the disc isnt getting really hot they should be fine. my front disc got hot the first time i changed them and turned out to be a jammed float pin!
ANDYC
the 900
the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC on Mon 12 May 2014 - 16:30

You may find that the new pad is just catching on the outer lip on the disc.
It takes a bedding in period so that the pads wear to suit the profile of the used disc.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Mon 12 May 2014 - 17:22

Also, has the caliper been cleaned lately? When my back wheel was a binding a bit it was cos the pistons were caked in crud and not moving freely enough. Good dose of brake cleaner and wash out cured it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017 - 18:44