Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First Big Bike

mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: First Big Bike

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

So I needed new tyres and it would be rude not to burn out the old one a little:

New BT45's on:

Then I managed to find a new dyno place in bredbury area (south east Manchester) and went for a power run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J99JB4IH4MY&feature=youtu.be

Results were:
Standard 51 plate CB500s on 29K miles
Figures were 29ft-lb @ 7400 and 48bhp @ 9K
Book figures are:
37.4ft-lb @ 8K and 57bhp @ 9.5K.

Looking that the air fuel mix, at 4.5-6K it goes massively rich. 10:1 right where I spend most of the time when crusing around town. I always thought it drank more fuel than it should.
If I put a new exhaust and KnN on it, it should lean it out a little.
Im about 10hp down and when its cold the cam chain is making a right racket.
It would be interesting to see other peoples results.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 27 Sep 2015, 6:40 pm

Llewelyn1965
the 900
the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 12:41 am

mcalvert39 wrote:Your not wrong. The first day I got the TF I got caught in torrential rain. Only leaked abit :/

Ive been on the bike every day this week using it to commute the 8 miles to work and back. Its been great! Has a power band that is in liking to a VTEC after about 4-5K it just takes off.
On the motorway I can really get it leaned over on a fast bend and feel confident in it.
I had the chain & sprockets replaced by a really good bloke in wheelton (chorley) and he also did the MOT. no advisories apart from the exhaust being abit loud. Seems the previous owner has taken a drill to the end of the can. I did wonder why it seemed loud.
One very happy customer now. Looking forward to a long weekend away on it eventually. Very Happy

Power band of 4-5k??? no no no sir. keep it in gear longer. get it up to 8,9,10k revs!!!! OH YESSSS!!!!
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:31 am

Indeed. Now ive ridden it more since that post and seen the dyno results I can see and feel whats going on. Mine does drop off around 9K. 4-5K is actually where its guzzling fuel.

dado_dassler
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by dado_dassler on Mon 28 Sep 2015, 8:54 pm

mcalvert39 wrote:4-5K is actually where its guzzling fuel.

is that true? i usually keep it around 5000 rpm maintaining speed on country roads, feels stable and unstrained, maybe i'm wrong?
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Tue 29 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

It maybe different on your bike. Looking at the A/F ratio at 4-6K it goes really rich (10:1) probably why it spits and pops when I let off at those revs.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:18 pm

Came off it yesterday Sad 
Slipped on black ice while turning right, into another road. I was only doing 5 - 10 mph. No injury to me but the bike is feeling abit sorry for itself.
Brake lever, indicator, fairing all buggered. Steering is also not quite straight. Not sure how to sort that though.
Ill take some pics and take a better look on Saturday. Pissed off isn't the word.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 14 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

mcalvert39 wrote:Came off it yesterday Sad 
Steering is also not quite straight. Not sure how to sort that though.
Pissed off isn't the word.

Been there, done that. However our good pal Del may be of help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSunBRB6-r8
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 15 Jan 2016, 12:57 pm

Glad to hear you are OK - these things happen, especially at this time of year. The bike can be fixed.

The brake lever an the indicator can be replaced.

The fairing is more problematic, but amazing things can be done with fibreglass, sanding and paint, if you have the time and inclination.  You also might be able to buy a new/good used fairing, but this is, I suspect, is becoming more difficult. If you can't be bothered with any of that then make it into a naked CB500 - it's not quite the same, but...

The steering can be sorted easily - you need to support the weight of the bike so it is not on the front wheel (on the centre stand and a jack and a bit of wood carefully placed under the sump and a sack of compost/sand or similar on the rear of the seat).  You then slacken off the top and bottom yolk bolts - not enough for the forks to fall out but enough than you can twist the handlebars back to being straight while you hold the front wheel between your legs.

When you are doing the above, make sure you have a look at the handlebars themselves - they might be slightly bent too!  If then bend is only slight then it's OK - you just need to take it into account when doing the above.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 17 Jan 2016, 11:13 am

Thanks chaps. Ill get on it once the snow has disappeared and its safe to go outside again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:57 pm