Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First Big Bike

mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

First Big Bike

Post by mcalvert39 on Fri 09 May 2014, 7:23 pm

Hey everyone, Most of you may have read my first intro post but for those who haven't, this is me:

So this is my first big bike. In fact its my first motorbike in general. Ive ridden small bikes in the past on private land and abroad but nothing bigger than a 125.

So a few friends on mine have big bikes and I decided for my 30th to get in on the action.
This CB came up at a bargain price of £800 with lots of extras. I've so far serviced it and give it a good look over from previous owner syndrome.

My latest news is that I have booked my MOD1 and just got all new gear from a place in Staffordshire called bargain biker brands.

This is me>

geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: First Big Bike

Post by geewhizz on Fri 09 May 2014, 9:31 pm

looks like a cracking bike for 800 quid mate. I did same thing for my 30th it was awesome then and now a year and half in, its even better. I'm sure you've heard it before but the cb is such a wicked bike, and its a lot quicker than you might imagine, you'll love it.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 10 May 2014, 12:52 am

Welcome to the forum mate. What a cracking looking bike. You'll be outdoing me on the OCD cleaning stakes in no time.

You'll enjoy it here.
trevor machine
the 900
the 900

Post by trevor machine on Sat 10 May 2014, 6:38 pm

Get a Fuel can on it - the CB500 can sound fantastic.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 10 May 2014, 7:39 pm

£800! That was a steal! Welcome to the forum, there's lots of knowledgeable folk here.
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Wed 14 May 2014, 11:05 pm

Looks like you got a seriously good bargain there. Not many around in that condition. Congrats!
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

FINALLY!!! Sorry ive not been on for a while but its taken me ages to get my test done. Passed my mod1 with no faults but then due to work had to wait over a month for my mod2. Well I passed first time Smile 
MOT runs out on the 18th so need to get that booked in. But in the meantime Ive taxed and insured it. Being 30 now and its my first time owning a bike I was very pleased that it cost under £300.
Feels so good to be on the road now. Got her up to top gear and about 70. Full throttle and abit of heavy braking just to get the feel of the girl.

However it doesn't "feel" quite right.
Ok I know the chain & sprocket really needs doing but that's going to be done at MOT time.
It as though the "tracking" is out. I don't have to overcorrect the steering but its almost as though the steering is pointing right but im going straight on  Neutral 
apart from that im very happy Very Happy 

Matt.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 11 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

It could just be that the wheels are out of line after spack-handed chain adjustment. Or the frame's bent, forks twisted, wheel bearings, swinging arm bearings.....

It's probably nowt serious; these bikes are like Tonka toys and will inherit the earth, along with radioactive mutant cockroaches, that will probably ride CB500s.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:14 am

Good news on the tests, take time to get used to the bike, these things will go almost anywhere and do almost anything. Low miles bikes are very very likely to be problem free. They also work well further up the rev range so chugging along at 2-3000rpm isn't going to feel right.

Countersteering will make the bike feel sound in the corners, works at about 30mph plus and several threads referring to it on here.

First rule of bike fettling - check the easy stuff first so have a look at the tyre pressures, and the tyres themselves. How is the wear on them? Same brand, known make (bridgestone, conti etc)? correct size? Get the tyres spot on and thats a main source of uncertain handling removed.

and whilst I'm making up some rules here's some more dictats...

Second rule of bike fettling - don't overthink problems

Third rule of bike fettling - read up in Haynes and on here before taking anything to bits

Fourth rule of bike fettling - don't take anything to bits without using the correct tools and having the replacement part (if relevant)

Doubtless other folks will have more rules, probably involving cleaning.

atb
muttley1
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 11:21 am

Fifth rule - take photos when you take something apart for the first time

Sixth rule - plenty of cups of tea and smokes if you want them!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sat 12 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

Oh, I forgot you're new. Congratulations on joining the bestest, friendliest, sexiest, most rock & roll social sub-culture there is. You're now the man your parents warned you about.

Take it easy. It may just be that you need to get a feel for the bike; do some miles and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck, fella!
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Sun 13 Jul 2014, 12:54 am

HAHAHA cheers guys.

Ive also gone and done another impulse buy. On a roll lately. Kinda thought... well sod it im not getting any younger. soooo

I bought an MG TF for a fair enough bargain. Just need to sell my daily rover 25 Hack.
And then the British summertime shat on me by pissing torrential rain for most of the evening!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 14 Jul 2014, 2:16 pm

MG TF and a new bike - so the rain that has just started is all your fault? Smile
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm

Your not wrong. The first day I got the TF I got caught in torrential rain. Only leaked abit :/

Ive been on the bike every day this week using it to commute the 8 miles to work and back. Its been great! Has a power band that is in liking to a VTEC after about 4-5K it just takes off.
On the motorway I can really get it leaned over on a fast bend and feel confident in it.
I had the chain & sprockets replaced by a really good bloke in wheelton (chorley) and he also did the MOT. no advisories apart from the exhaust being abit loud. Seems the previous owner has taken a drill to the end of the can. I did wonder why it seemed loud.
One very happy customer now. Looking forward to a long weekend away on it eventually. Very Happy
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Aug 2014, 12:43 pm

Glad to hear you are getting on with the bike.

Did the slight steering thing sort itself out? (or was it just in your head?)
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:45 pm

Well the mechanic who did my chain & sprockets & MOT took it for a spin and couldn't fault it, so ive adjusted my glasses on my head abit. Only thing ive noticed that one of my end weights?, has fallen off the n/s handle bar.
Only other thing that has fallen off is the end tip on the scottoiler so ive ordered a new one of those.

One other question... where do your mirrors attach? mine are inboard of the brake reservoir. This makes it a little difficult to see behind me as my shoulders get in the way.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:53 pm

@mcalvert39 wrote:One other question... where do your mirrors attach? mine are inboard of the brake reservoir. This makes it a little difficult to see behind me as my shoulders get in the way.

Same as you - inboard of the brake reservoir.

Solution: Bar-end-mirrors?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 05 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm

The mirrors can be a bit marginal - you can either get ones that have a longer stem (hence stick out/up more) or bar end mirrors (as stormbringer suggested) or learn to live with it Smile
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:47 pm

So time for a small update.

Last sunday (14.9) I took the bike up to knot end on sea (nr Fleetwood) Big biker influence there on a Sunday. No problems at all on the way there. Its great getting in the outside lane and having other drivers move over for you Smile. I got up to a "rather high" speed and had no issues.

However on the way home doing a steady 50... I looked down at the clocks and the speedo just read 0.

Damd! that fast run must of totalled the speedo cable. Took it easy on the way home just following traffic.

Ordered & fitted a new cable, which by the way is very easy (if you have small hands). I also got a new clutch cable as a spare, from reading a few posts I thought it might be wise.
Im hoping to get out to Bolton (rivvington barn) this Sunday if the weathers good.

All in all for my first bike, never mind a big one, I am really happy with it. Very comfy compared to my mates Honda RR600 and in some cases just as fast.
I do hanker for something with a lil more grunt and style, but for a reliable, day to day commuter & weekend warrior it performs brilliantly!

Ill get some more pics up soon Smile
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

Looks like you have got yourself one nice bike there well done
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Fri 22 May 2015, 6:22 pm

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 22 May 2015, 9:31 pm

To answer your earlier comments about mirrors, try a set of extenders something like these from ebay. They sorted the problem for me.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Fri 22 May 2015, 9:42 pm

you get that mirror/shoulder problem with most bikes so rightly or wrongly I have never used them apart from sports bikes where it is hard to look over your shoulder
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 23 May 2015, 10:11 am

How much?!? Ebay seems about half the cost, but they're a lot of money for a short, threaded bit of metal! Smile
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 23 May 2015, 12:47 pm

On ebay, wait and pounce. I paid £6-7 the pair, including delivery. Don't just buy the expensive ones on offer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:12 pm