Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Neutral, Oil, Sidestand lights & Temp gauge not working

Lynx636
Squiddy
Squiddy

Neutral, Oil, Sidestand lights & Temp gauge not working

Post by Lynx636 on Fri 02 May 2014, 10:11 pm

Neutral, Oil, Sidestand lights & Temp gauge have stopped working, i read somewhere that they share a live feed or something. Can someone shed some light on this so i can pinpoint my search? rather than cutting into the loom all over the place.
Thank You
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Re: Neutral, Oil, Sidestand lights & Temp gauge not working

Post by chromedome on Sat 03 May 2014, 5:58 am

Had something similar happen to one of my bikes, and it was down to an earthing problem. Without seeing the state of your wiring loom, can't say though. Worthwhile cleaning up the contacts in the wiring connection blocks as a first stage, as this often cures the problem.
Adrianomah
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by Adrianomah on Sat 03 May 2014, 9:51 pm

Hi,
I was reading this, and checked the workshop manual wiring diagram, it turns out that the warning lights all have a common earth wire, it'd be worth while starting there, if only to eliminate it as a cause.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 06 May 2014, 1:21 pm

The common wire you are talking about is in the loom that runs up the steering head tube - it divides about half way up - I had to take mine apart and repair because things stopped working.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 06 May 2014, 5:27 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:The common wire you are talking about is in the loom that runs up the steering head tube - it divides about half way up - I had to take mine apart and repair because things stopped working.

It's funny you should say that, I was at a rally on the Isle of Wight over the weekend and coming back to the bike after going to Allum Bay I turned on the ignition, all lights good, flicked the starter and all the dash lights went out.
Seeing as I've had intermittent problems with the starter motor I put it in gear and rocked the bike back and forth, turned the ignition back on and she fired up. Bizarre!
Lynx636
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Lynx636 on Wed 07 May 2014, 11:00 pm

Sounds like a good place to start then, cheers for your help
Zxanthion
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Zxanthion on Fri 23 May 2014, 8:26 pm

@eternally_troubled wrote:The common wire you are talking about is in the loom that runs up the steering head tube - it divides about half way up - I had to take mine apart and repair because things stopped working.

Exactly the same happened to me. Had to strip it all down and low and behold, the whole wire had came away from where they all joined.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 29 May 2014, 12:15 am

Have you looked in the fuse box? Stick another 50p in the meter.
msr1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by msr1 on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem with my gauge/neutral/oil light, will i have to strip the whole rubber insulation off from the steering head down to the light fitting to get to the wires? I have done all the other checks ie fuses/cleaned the connections/grounded the oil switch.

Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 6:29 pm

Yes, it will be easier to find the problem if you remove all the wrapping tape around the bundle of wires just beneath the gauges/idiot lights.

If the problem is the same as mine the you are looking for the point where one wire splits into about 4 others.
msr1
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by msr1 on Thu 17 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

nice one, although not looking forward to unwrapping all that sticky tape! horrible job.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

@msr1 wrote:nice one, although not looking forward to unwrapping all that sticky tape! horrible job.

It is worth the effort: the bike shop would charge you through the nose for this kind of thing!
jchesshyre
the 900
the 900

Post by jchesshyre on Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:35 am

This happened to me too. I'd start by checking the green and brown striped wire in the headstock loom - only a bit of unwrapping required - when these went on mine it was because this wire had broken halfway along its length. If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see this wire is shared by just the bulbs/meters that aren't working.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:42 pm