Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Repairing side panel lugs

TimReal
Running out of unique names

Repairing side panel lugs

Post by TimReal on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 8:46 pm

Has anyone worked out a way to replace a broken and missing lug from the triangle side panels?
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Re: Repairing side panel lugs

Post by Beresford on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 11:27 pm

You need a soldering iron and some cable ties. All the instructions are here
(Thank you Stormbringer)
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 7:37 am

Wow, that's a great video :-)

On my bike, a previous owner broke one of those lugs off, so jammed a rawplug into the rubber grommet and then used a large flat headed bolt from the outside - not original but actually looks ok (and is a lot easier to remove than the lug!).
TimReal

Post by TimReal on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 8:41 am

Thanks for the replies.

Soldering iron would be a great idea but I don't have the broken lugs - I bought the bike without them in place.

The rawlplug idea is interesting though, so I'll see what I can come up with. I'm wondering if I could solder a plastic rawlplug in place of the lug.
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 9:26 am

That is an inspired idea, perhaps just be careful that it will come out again ok though (this one seems to be in for keeps).

As an aside, the various panels on my bike have fibreglass mends, and although he seems to have tried very hard they don't seem to be a permanent solution, so I'll be going the plastic welding route.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

What about one of those expanding fixing plugs - like the use to inside car boot trim... Yes, you'd have to drill the panel, but it would look OK from the outside and be removeable too..
TimReal

Post by TimReal on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm

sullivj wrote:What about one of those expanding fixing plugs - like the use to inside car boot trim... Yes, you'd have to drill the panel, but it would look OK from the outside and be removeable too..

That's a thought. Should have some of those lying about somewhere.
Applecart
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Applecart on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 5:39 pm

or make some in ABS filing up some scrap ABS ( from ABS waste pipe or an old broken ABS panel ) and dissolving it in solvent like MEK to form a thick paste for moulding use Methelene Chloride based solvent to weld it to the original cowl or panel.

Polyweld

Alternatively use some Polymorph to make a two part mould of the good side ( original unbroken lug ) and cast your new lug in that mould using the gooey mix you made earlier and leave it in place to set or set it up off panel and use polyweld type solvent to 'weld' your newly made lug to the damaged panel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:14 am