Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

GSX-R 400 GK76A SP Revival!

G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

GSX-R 400 GK76A SP Revival!

Post by G3o on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 8:57 pm

Hey, 

Thought I'd give this its own thread for those interested. :]

A few months ago I accidentally bought a 90s gixxer 400 sp with an "electrical fault", I've been working on it the last few weeks and thought I'd put up a bit of a project thread for you. Nothing particularly special but it keeps me entertained! 

So after a night on ebay ... after a few beers... and vodka... ... and Jager... I became the proud, if unexpected owner of a GK76a SP

Looks tidy enough, few marks here and there showing its age but none the less a nice enough looking bike. And of course that ever elusive "electrical fault"! 

So I go to pick it up at which time the previous owner tells me he's helped me along by removing a lot of the fairing bolts and fixings... and losing them :/ Cheers for that! Being an SP, quite a few of those lost fastenings were Dezus fasteners and not cheap to replace. He had bought the bike as a project himself but found he didn't have time for it. But he had "Looked everywhere for the fault and couldn't find anything". Fine, so we loaded it up and took it back to my garage container. 

As soon as it was home i undid the 3 bolts holding the fairings on and started checking the basics along the loom. First things first... Fusebox, all the fuses in tact, both the connector blocks... nope they're f**ked! 

Well now, that would seem to be a problem! 

So I trot off down to Halfrauds and buy a new fuse box. Wire it in and hey presto the bike turns over! Well now that was easy! Only... Whats that smell?! *Observes large quantities of smoke exiting the CDI*... Kill switch flicked... still smoking ... ignition turned off and it stops!

"Christ, I hope that was only a cap or a couple of resistors!" 

So a fault was solved but several more were discovered! I pull off the CDI and break into it hoping beyond hope that it is just a couple of components that have blown. When i finally manage to get to the PCB within the CDI I am not met with a pretty sight.

Yep... That's bollocksed ... no ... thats proper f**ked!

And yet again being an SP the CDIs are pretty uncommon so while I was waiting for one to crop up somewhere I thought I would investigate some of the other electrical niggles that had reared their ugly heads.

A bit of a strip down was in order! 

Upon closer inspection the rear sub frame and exhaust hanger were pretty rusted so they came off

I rubbed that down and cleaned it up a bit

And resprayed it with a spray paint that goes sort of plasticy, powdercoat-esque when dry and refitted it

I also unwrapped the loom and started going through it to find some of the underlying issues, hence the ratsnest of wires there! 

There were a lot of horrible crimps and connections, some of them completely bare and in contact with the frame. It was plainly evident why the CDI had exploded. I cleaned them all up and insulated them, then wrapped the whole loom in electrical tape because I was too lazy to go and buy any loom-wrap! 

Tested all the electrical lines for consistency and all was fine. Seems the "electrical fault" was just plain laziness and bad workmanship from a previous owner.

The front fairing had cracked in several places which I thurmobonded back together, not going for a showroom finish here, its only a toy for myself! 

At this point a CDI popped up on fleabay which I snapped up for a mere 90 sobbs. And I started getting the fairings back on. I didn't particularly want to replace the Desuz fastenings, I don't overly trust them and they're far too expensive for my liking. So I drilled out the rivets on the fastening clips and replace them with trusty old nuts, bolts and washers!

Looking much smarter!

The front fairing was about to go back on but I thought I would just check the headlights first... Ehem... there are no bulbs! And one of the clip clamps is missing. Now any normal person would more than likely just buy another clip and be done with it, but  no! If I can not spend money I will do! So I take off the one existing clamp and make my own using a suitable bit of steel rod.

The original:

The rod I found in my magic box of random crap:

The end result:

And now I just need to make a trip to Halfrauds and get a couple of bulbs, change the chain and sprockets, brake pads, re-bleed the breaks and figure out how to plumb in the tank and it will hopefully be up and running! 

Hope you enjoyed,

Will keep you updated,

Ride Safe,
Geo
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: GSX-R 400 GK76A SP Revival!

Post by Tricky. on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

excellent post, good work, looking forward to updates.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:15 pm

PS. great bikes these, i love the gsxr400's, but ive always been a little too big for them though!
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Sun 23 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

Cheers, I previously had an fzr400rr, I love my pocket rockets and back road racers, hence the CB!
I actually have the same problem, I'm 6'2", but it is possible to fold myself onto these little monsters, I'm sure I look a bit of a tit but hey xD I can't see myself when I'm riding! haha
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:42 pm

Good luck! Hope the 'new' CDI works, well done with that bending!
TimReal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal on Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm

Nice write up and remember kids - don't drink and bid!
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:24 pm

I made a sneaky trip up to the gixxer tonight before I went out... IT LIVES!!! It started up but is only firing on 2 or 3 cylinders, hopefully just needs a change if spark plugs, they weren't giving off the best spark.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 28 Mar 2014, 4:56 pm

That's good to hear.
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 11:33 pm

Righto, time for another mini update,

The headlights are now fitted and working, the new clip worked a treat:

I also cleaned out the carbs a bit with come carb cleaner and it is now running sweet as a nut! Only issue now is that the rev counter isn't working. Think it could just be a bad connection to one of the coils. I am going up tomorrow to have a look at it and see if there is anything I can do. I also want to try and bleed the brakes tomorrow if I have time. Then it should just be a case of changing the oil and filter, changing the chain a sprockets and possibly the rear tyre and it should be away! Then it can swap places with the CB and I can start stripping that down :]
georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Post by georgecb500 on Thu 24 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

Great write up.  Love the styling of these bikes.  I keep window shopping them on ebay!
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 31 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

What's going on with this? I love the bulb clip bodge fix. Very cool bike! I had a brief fling with an FZR400SP 2TK that I used to pretend was an OW01 when I were a lad!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:39 pm