Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Loctite

stormbringer

Loctite

Post by stormbringer on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:43 pm

To stop nuts and bolts coming loose, Loctite is said to be the right thing to use.

I've never owned a bottle of this stuff, but found this morning my lefthand bar-end-weight unscrewing itself - again. Also, rumour has it the front brake-carrier is supposed to be installed using this stuff.

So, I've looked in the Loctite-catalogue. There are several types. Then I looked in the online catalogue of a few local suppliers. Everywhere, it's the 243 type that is on stock. 243 is 'medium', suitable for up to M36. Hmmm... I was planning on getting a bottle of 221 'light', suitable for up to M12, but being an absolute beginner when it comes to this stuff I'll have to ask you nice people for advice.

What do I buy for my CB?

Anyone who can shed a light on the subject?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Loctite

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 1:54 pm

Medium (I think it is normally blue in colour?) is fine. Light is probably also fine for most of the bolts on the bike.

Light is for situations where medium would cause you to snap the fastner in question before the thread-lock released itself ie. small diameter bolts.

It is wise to use some on the front brake caliper/carrier bolts - they shouldn't come undone if you have torqued them correctly, they won't come undone if you have torqued them correctly and applied thread-lock. Essentially it plays a similar role to a split pin or lockwire.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

I didn't torque up the caliper mounting bolts on a BMW R850R I had 12 years ago. Said bolts fell out on one caliper and the first I knew about it was when I braked for traffic on the Canning Town flyover on the A13 after a high speed dash to the Isle of Dogs. Caliper stayed on the disc but kept hitting the fork when I braked. Had to bodge it with a bolt from a local hardware store til I could get the correct bolts from Cannon BMW. Lesson learned.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 4:25 pm

@badseeds wrote:I didn't torque up the caliper mounting bolts on a BMW R850R I had 12 years ago. Said bolts fell out on one caliper and the first I knew about it was when I braked for traffic on the Canning Town flyover on the A13 after a high speed dash to the Isle of Dogs. Caliper stayed on the disc but kept hitting the fork when I braked. Had to bodge it with a bolt from a local hardware store til I could get the correct bolts from Cannon BMW. Lesson learned.

Lucky! I would rather not learn that lesson the practical way...
Grarea
Running out of unique names

Post by Grarea on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 1:28 pm

I was going to order 50ml of 243.
Thinking 'that should keep me going for a while.'

Then i saw that the cheap ones are coming in from China.
Any ideas if:
a) there is a fake copy made in china, or
b) there is a difference?
My old tube says it is made in the EU.

Also, there appears to be expiry dates on them.
Can it actually go off?
Or are they just covering backsides?
Any thoughts?
rob75
Rossi
Rossi

Post by rob75 on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 10:03 am

Just use the 243 compound. The 221 and 222 are for very light applications like set screws.
For home/hobby use, take a small package. You only need a drop per bolt! Besides that, all chemicals (and this is a kind of glue) have the tendency to age.

Cheers,
Rob
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 9:12 pm

Also worth notting that a lot of genuine Honda bolts like the calliper bolts come with a thread locking compound already applied to the threads. I usually buy bolts like that from Honda because they are reasonable priced if you only need a couple and I don't know enough about tensile strength ratings/crappy Chinese bolts etc.
Grarea

Post by Grarea on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 8:03 am

Thanks gents.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 7:36 pm

Someone might find this interesting: Nord-lock
This video kinda scares me:
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 8:03 pm

My rear axel nut came loose i taught it was rear wheel bearings were going... now i use  blue treadlock and i tip ex to see if it loosens...
liverpool_f_
the 900
the 900

Post by liverpool_f_ on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 10:35 pm

Nice link stormbringer! I love these little pieces of brain food that show up on this site. I am a member of the VW polo forum and unfortunately, if the answer isn't hack the springs and stick big subs in it, there is no info whatsoever.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 3:06 pm

@stormbringer wrote:Someone might find this interesting: Nord-lock
This video kinda scares me:

Good video. Shows exactly why you should use thread-lock, lock-wire or tab washers, despite them not testing them in the video!

I'd probably not bother to use those nord-lock washers (though they do look good) on my bike, but if I was getting a load of real people to assemble a train then I can certainly see the point - they enable you to vibration proof the nut by design (by specifying the nord-lock washers) and you can inspect afterwards to check they have been installed.

As an aside I put thread lock on my caliper bolts - I also paint a little stripe (as in the video) so I can check they haven't slipped without having to get a spanner and check how tight they are.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm