Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Zacstan93
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Zacstan93 on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:46 pm

Been on the forum for a while so thought id better say hello

iv previously owned a cb500 race bike and I have now inherited a second cb that looks like its been in a lake for a few years that im currently re-building, and hoping to return to a condition of my previous bike, at the moment I cant seem to find any decent engine enamel that's any good if anybody could point me in the right direction that would be great.

cheers zac

stormbringer

Re: Newbie

Post by stormbringer on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:06 am

Hi there and a warm welcome to you. From your writing I see that you may possibly fail to qualify for the 'Newbie'-designation Smile

Anyways - your question concerning proper engine enamel: I believe the original Honda colour code is something along the lines of AH-35 'Silver grey', and that it can be bought on spray cans. Sadly, I have mixed experiences with spray-can paint and engines...

Thus, I'm also interested in hearing from anyone having done a successful engine makeover. Preparations, materials, procedure, that sort.

I gather the bike on the picture was your previous one, right?

Dare you show us the one you're working on now?

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:58 am

Welcome, welcome.

Bike looks nice. I like the colour. I need to paint the engine too at some point. I may just use a generic High Temperature silver.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 7:40 am

I suspect high temperature paint would be the best bet, I've used it on patches in the past and it didn't flake off or anything. I had Halfords own brand. I expect that getting the engine out of the frame and degreasing it would allow a fairly professional finish.
TimReal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 8:13 am

Hi mate and good luck with 'Lake Bike'!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 10:00 am

Welcome Zac, let us know if you find any tadpoles in the airfilter! Razz
Zacstan93
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Zacstan93 on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 5:34 pm

the bike in the picture is the old one the projects currently a bare frame with everything been prepped and painted so far the frames completed just the engine need painting its cleaned and sanded so just needs painting, in past experiences with vht paint petrol just washes it away so im looking for a very tough paint to use so it lasts. 

I shall upload some picture of the project when I bought it some of you may of seen it on ebay with rs250 front forks and rear swing arm.

cheers zac
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

Zacstan93 wrote:.....some of you may of seen it on ebay with rs250 front forks and rear swing arm.

cheers zac

Yep, I remember seeing that.
Zacstan93
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Zacstan93 on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

yeah it was that one fair play to the lad getting it running on fuel injection but it was a state everything was rusty but was a good strong base for a decent track/race bike,
the forks and swinger have been donated to my dads rd350 project as im building the bike to my previous bikes spec and thundersports regs and rules.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm

RD350 you say? Aircooled/LC/YPVS/F/R? Gis a pic! RD's are wicked.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

Zacstan93 wrote: in past experiences with vht paint petrol just washes it away so im looking for a very tough paint to use so it lasts.
cheers zac

You could try this
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-stirling-silver-paint.html
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

Beresford wrote:You could try this

+1. We use Frost's POR15 series of products at work - very good quality. There's cheaper products available, but you pays yer money and your mileage may vary.

Last edited by badseeds on Thu 27 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Colours went all spazzy)
Zacstan93
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Zacstan93 on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 9:42 am

iv decided on going with a black engine with silver cases it seems the easiest option atm and I think it will make the bike look abit cleaner as well
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

badseeds wrote:

Beresford wrote:You could try this

+1. We use Frost's POR15 series of products at work - very good quality. There's cheaper products available, but you pays yer money and your mileage may vary.

I read the instructions. They say "once dry Stirling Silver cannot be removed by solvent". It also sprays when properly thinned. Toxic as hell. Just my kind of paint Smile
But nowhere is there info on temperature range to be found.

Anyone who can shed light on the matter?

And with reference to the Honda original colour I'm sure this one is too 'silver', meaning anyone with OCD issues are excluded from using it.

Skimmed the Frost site. Looks interesting; they once made a booklet on restoration, but I can't find it. Unlike Louis.de, who give away a 'Schrauberhandbuch' as pdf-download - for free.

Further skimming revealed this: high-temperature engine enamel from POR-15:
http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL_p_47.html

Comes in 'aluminium' colour. The product being an engine-enamel, can one assume it's not washed away by petrol?

Last edited by stormbringer on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : POR-15 alternative)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:59 pm