Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

If you want to change your CB500 don't...

Leogreek
Squiddy
Squiddy

If you want to change your CB500 don't...

Post by Leogreek on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 9:45 am

Just a quick random note from someone who sold a lovely CB500 and bought a VFR800

If you get the urge to sell your trusty CB500 to get something bigger/faster etc my suggestion is don't unless you know with 100% that you will take full advantage of the extra bhp and the fairing.

I sold my CB in April and to be honest I've regretted it since.

Just a pointer...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: If you want to change your CB500 don't...

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 1:37 pm

A CB5 isn't very expesive.... you could just buy another one :)

Leogreek
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Leogreek on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 1:43 pm

Believe me I intend to (or perhaps the CBF500)

I miss the simplicity, the lack of weight and the fuel economy.

VFR needs to go first, I park outside and haven't got the space (or want to pay the insurance on both)

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 10:42 am

Hi Leo,

and after all the yep/no before you got the vfr too! Hope you find a decent cb5 soon. My annual search for a project bike has not worked out so perhaps they are getting a little bit rarer too?

Btw I commuted on a cbr600 for years, it was great for a roads, touring and covering ground, not so good on the backroads where I live though. I sold it and still regret it, especially as I now do more distance riding, even though it was the right move.

m1

Leogreek
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Leogreek on Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply Muttley

I've been a bit dissapointed to be honest with the VFR and I'm not enjoying riding it in town. It's great on the motorways, but I'm hardly ever on them...

Trying unsuccessfully to sell it now but as it's winter I doubt I'm going to have any luck.

Might try a p/ex on a CBF500 with a Honda dealer (subject to him actually not trying to deviate from the potential £1800 he offered on the phone by more than £100)

On the other hand, I tried a 2002 Hornet the other day and loved it. The lightness of the CB with some extra punch to it.

I've decided that apart from a bikini fairing, I'm not going down the route of a faired bike again. Yes it's great on long distance, but I live in London Smile

Decisions decisions...

SzymonCB
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by SzymonCB on Tue 07 Dec 2010, 3:43 pm

Looking for lightness and fun? Try Suzuki SV650. Only 167 kg dry weight and 70 bhp V-engine should give a lot of fun. I'm going to try it next year Wink
kungfupoodle
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by kungfupoodle on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 6:21 pm

Personally I could do with a bit more power as most of my commute is dual carriageway (although much of the time its not moving and I'm filtering through it Smile )Plus I find the CBs twin shocks very basic and hard on the back.Never fancied a VFR - just seem a bit dull.
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 10:49 pm

Well the CBF is monoshock...
kungfupoodle
Mothra the Radioactive
Mothra the Radioactive

Post by kungfupoodle on Thu 16 Dec 2010, 10:55 pm

spitonyourgrave22 wrote:Well the CBF is monoshock...
but is it not slower?
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 6:48 am

I've not had a go on one, but they are the same motor essentially, so it shouldn't be. According to wiki, the CBF is short of 1bhp to the CB. How this would translate to the wheel I don't know.

SzymonCB
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by SzymonCB on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 9:15 am

Well, old CB500 with drum brake weigh 172 kg and has 58 HP and 47 Nm of torque. CBF weight is about 183 kg (over 10 kg more) and has 1 HP less and 2 Nm less. Pretty sure CB500 will win the drag race.
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 9:17 am

Forgot to consider weight there...pretty big factor. I believe you'd be right. Wonder how a mutant CB/CBF would fair. I'd like to see something light with the better qualities of both bikes.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 10:27 am

Has the CBF got fuel injection or carbs?
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 10:48 am

Fuel injected I believe. Could be wrong. Bikez is offline for the moment for some reason...
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 10:58 am

I had a quick google on it and couldn't find anything relevant.
All to do with emissions I guess; I like carbs, I know how they work! No electrickery!

SzymonCB
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by SzymonCB on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 11:16 am

teamster1975 wrote:I had a quick google on it and couldn't find anything relevant.
All to do with emissions I guess; I like carbs, I know how they work! No electrickery!

Then you're lucky - CBF has 2x Keihin VP34 carburettors Wink
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 11:26 am

Bloody marvellous! Very Happy
(Not that I've got any intention of chopping in the CB!!)
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 18 Dec 2010, 11:42 am

Well according to this it's carbs
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda_CBF_500_2006.aspx
But I could swear I've read it to be fuel injection. I'm sure that's why they took it off the road? Emissions regulations and all.

Leogreek
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Leogreek on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 5:47 pm

Still got the VFR and due to the lack of interest I'm going to keep it a bit longer. I haven't decided what I'll get once its gone, but the CB500 is a strong contender. I only considered the CBF500 as a p/ex not as something I'd buy at full whack from a dealer as the CB500 tends to be cheaper than the p/ex most dealers are offering on the VFR. Still, lots of variation as I've been told anywhere from £1200 to £1800.

Tried a CB400 super four recently and that was fun too, even though I think the CB500 is better due to having more torque. Still, an inline 4 is incredibly smooth compared to the parallel twin.
GINGER
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by GINGER on Fri 14 Jan 2011, 6:08 pm

Well with being a new kid on the block and yet to get my honda cb500 ( the 29th Jan ) I can not wait . I am reading lots and lots of postive reports on the bike ........... he he he .... I am even looking on mods to my bike to my girl friends disgust but get another one plenty about
ta ginger
eryan

Post by eryan on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 6:32 pm

i have my cb5 from new[2003] and never let me down,its bomb proof[almost]it kicks big bikes asses on d back roads and great around town,couriers love them as i am1 an i swear by them,i'd trade my missis in before d cb5 Twisted Evil ,162000miles on it an i reckon she still good for 40000mls.....
JtheB
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by JtheB on Tue 18 Jan 2011, 8:40 pm

I've been looking round for a possible replacement for my slightly modified (suspension mods mostly) '95 CB500 for quite a while; not that the CB is getting to be unreliable or tempremental, it's just getting a touch tatty (and as I'm regularly leading out groups of 10-15 bikes around the twisties in the French countryside, it's something I have to take into consideration)

I love the Triumph Triples (had a Daytona for ten years) but the Street Triple just wasn't as nimble as CB. Good motor though.

The Bonneville was, I thought, absolutely awful. Flaccid motor and ponderous, almost cruiser like handling.

I haven't tried a CBF500, but I'm lead to believe that the motor isn't as perky as the early models like mine.

The best I have tried so far was a BMW F800R; very much like a slightly bigger CB500 on steroids. Very flexible motor (pulls from 1500rpm!) and a very light beautifully balanced chassis. The only downside is the list price: just shy of around £7k...

All of a sudden, a £400 respray for the CB is starting to look very attractive...
Hcb
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by Hcb on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

Well.. After reading all these post.. I feel identified.

I bought a TDM 900 two years ago, now on sold. I thought it was much better than the CB500.. I was 2 years fooling myself with this.. Tired of the weight, its size, how boring 
the TDM was, I came back with the CB and returned the smiley on my face.

For all those who think on a big and heavy motorcycle.. I just tell you.. THINK CAREFULLY.

The CB500 does everything well, and its materials are much better than those made now.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 8:53 pm

Hcb wrote:Well.. After reading all these post.. I feel identified.

I bought a TDM 900 two years ago, now on sold. I thought it was much better than the CB500.. I was 2 years fooling myself with this.. Tired of the weight, its size, how boring 
the TDM was, I came back with the CB and returned the smiley on my face.

For all those who think on a big and heavy motorcycle.. I just tell you.. THINK CAREFULLY.

The CB500 does everything well, and its materials are much better than those made now.

I would agree with this; however, if you have the space/time then it's really better to have more than one motorcycle :) Then you can pick the best one for the job at hand.../which one you feel like riding today!
wornsprokets
the 900
the 900

Post by wornsprokets on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm

Also handy...if one of your bike is acting up , you can jump on your other bike....and fix other at your leasure.... which is happing with the cb 500s, i am using the cb 500v this week

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 3:18 am