Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

Roxter Heated Grips

sputnik
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Roxter Heated Grips

Post by sputnik on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 12:42 am

Ok, so I'm getting soft in my old age but despite riding all through the year in all weather I'm still too vain to wear lobster mitts/bin bags/sheepskin covers etc. Hell, the CB is not the prettiest bike of all time so there is no need to mutilate what few looks it has, right?

Anyway, I finally took the plunge and fitted heated grips - surely the least aesthetically criminal of the options available? Being a tight-wad I scoured the internet and went for Roxter branded ones which, it is claimed, are identical to Oxford ones. Not sure I necessarily believe that, but given that all brands seem to get a few mixed reviews I figured I'd rather take my chances with a £35 pair than a £70+ pair as that is what Oxfords now seem to cost affraid .

Fitting was really easy, despite what I'd seen in some internet forums about heated grips in general. Worth noting that I am a complete retard when it come to electrics (and in fact most things). The old grips came off really easily and after a couple of practice runs the new ones went on easily too - take it easy on the superglue though as I maybe went a bit liberal, with obvious results when finally pushing the grips on! Rolling Eyes The trickiest part was just getting the wires/cables to sit neatly behind the speedo unit. No need to take off the fuel tank or anything like that. I spent a bit of extra time putting insulation tape over all the joins/juntions just to help waterproofing and to neaten them up.

I am wired up direct to the battery which I know runs the risk of running the battery dry but my electric knowledge is not up to joining into live feeds that only work with ignition etc. Doing it this way was also really easy. That said, they claim to have a cut-off point where they will switch themselves off if the battery feed drops below a certain level. This supposedly means that even if left on they will turn off, still leaving the battery with enough juice to start the bike. Time will tell. I may decide to link to the ignition feed in due course...

Anyway, are they any good I hear you ask... Well, mostly yes and a just little bit no.

Turn them on first thing when the bike is warming up as they take a few minutes to get going. This model has 4 settings with a push button unit and different coloured LEDs to tell you what power you are on. The lowest setting is pretty modest and probably really suited for cool rather than cold weather. The next is quite warm and so far has been the most used. with sporadic use of the next setting. My finger tips do still get cold but it certainly takes longer for them to get get painful. Sometimes the really cold sensation is avoided completely, and sometimes your paws do get cold but it at least takes much less time for your hands to warm up again once you reach your destination. This may not sound like the greatest recommendation but it is still a great improvement.

The hottest setting seems pretty scorchio (albeit that this so far just means hot sweaty palms and no real difference to fingertips) but I think this setting may come into play once we hit the real winter weather and hopefully it will help prevent ther real agony kicking in.

Anyway, in summary I think these will be something that I will end up wondering how I did without them for so long. To me, the crippling pain of cold fingertips is one of the worst things about riding throughout winter. Anything that lessens that annual misery has got to be good and at £35, they are cheaper than a lot of gloves that claim (but fail) to combat the cold. Assuming the wiring bears up over the long term then it is a definite thumbs up from me. Any questions, just let me know.

eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Roxter Heated Grips

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 12:58 pm

@sputnik wrote: That said, they claim to have a cut-off point where they will switch themselves off if the battery feed drops below a certain level. This supposedly means that even if left on they will turn off, still leaving the battery with enough juice to start the bike.

In my experience it drains the battery *just enough* to ensure that your bike *just doesn't start*!
This doesn't matter for me, as I'm quite used to the bump start (my rectifier regulator was on the edge of expiring for aaaages).

Last edited by eternally_troubled on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
sputnik
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by sputnik on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 2:35 pm

In my experience it drains the battery *just enough* to ensure that your bike *just doesn't start*!
This doesn't matter for me, as I'm quite used to the bump start (my rectifier regulator was on the edge of expiring for aaaages).

[/quote]

I suspected that this might be the case when the box claimed some nonsense about containing super advanced Nasa developed software or some such cobblers, on what is clearly a fairly simple electrical switch! Never mind, I'll enjoy the warmth until the inevitable first battery incident...
Jaeles
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Awesome!

Post by Jaeles on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 6:14 pm

I bought R&G Racing heated grips from Ebay. £30 and they're brilliant.

Wired them in via a relay and haven't had any problems, but have had lovely toasty mitts!

Ebay link.
tracker3
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by tracker3 on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 8:16 pm

Just fitted heated grips that i had as a xmas pressie.Simply enough to do.The live wire was fitted to the fuse for the rad fan,the thinking is cold weather, grips on and the fan does not,in the summer the reverse.Done this on my last bike (TDM900) worked fiine.The wire is just wedged in with the fuse,so ignition off grips off.
Handguards need to be fitted or the wind chill will reduce the effectness of the grips,i'm looking for a reasonable priced set (probable VStrom 650).
mikeh
Godly
Godly

Post by mikeh on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:53 am

A couple of quick questions if I may. Where is the rad-fan fuse located and when wedging the wire into the fuse do you just remove the fuse, lay the bare wire across one of the connectors and force the fuse back in? I was going to fit a relay but this sounds a much more simple way.

I fitted heated grips last year but direct to the battery. Having killed the battery a few times last winter I disconnected them. It is now time to reconnect. Oxford muffs are on order so should be toastie warm.

Ride safe
Mike
Hario
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by Hario on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

Ive been using the roxter grips since last winter, they are great but have become quite worn. Still nice and hot tho!

As for running the battery dry, i originally had them direct to the battery on my trail bike, they ran the battery flat while i was having a wee behind a tree on a greenlane, with a 1m+ deep pool to the front and rear of me.....

not a fun (or dry) experience

On my CB i piggyback soldered the power feed to the positive wire on the back of the ignition barrel, nice and simple and no more flat batteries!

I think the dead battery problem is exacerbated by that fact that you inevitably want to run full beam headlights with the grips on

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 7:55 pm