Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Project junkfighter!

Shadow_Alex

Project junkfighter!

Post by Shadow_Alex on Tue 25 May 2010, 2:13 am

Some of you may remember the junkfighter project started many months ago now. for those of you who don't, on this thread i will be keeping a running comentary on whats going on in my garage!

Project Junkfighter is named so, because of the state it was in when i bought it. This was a seriously neglected bike which has recieved the courier treatment as well as being thrown down the road a few times.

When I arrived at the east london dealership I knew that the bike I was about to see was not going to be showroom condition! The managers son (aged about 6!) took me through the showroom and pointed out an almost unrecognisable bike in the corner. It was coated in dust (probably because no other idiot would dare to buy it!) and looked incredibly dangerous and suspect for a bike with a "fresh M.O.T"!

Looking at the beat up old Jap i realised that all the warnings i had been given by my brother about "Ebay specials" was bang on the money. Feeling completely swindled i handed over the rest of the cash owed and wondered if i was going to make it home alive!

Geared up, with missus on the back I started for home. now this is usually no problem at all but it was a truely arduous journey...

To start with, my front brake lever was about an inch long due to the previous owners last accident. this meant that if i wanted to stop i had to have fingers with the strength to match arnie himself! this would have been more of a problem if i could actually accelarate but thankfully, due to the almost completely rounded off front sprocket and slack chain, acceleration was non exsistent.

hitting the motorway was yet another horrifying experience! The previous owner decided that the bike looked better without mirrors... now considering i love my mirrors and use them regularly, i now had to negociate the M25 & M20 knowing that if something happened behind me, i'd have no idea what was coming and if something happened infront of me i'd have no chance of stopping!

Finally home, with the only one incident being conking out on the M25 as the dealer had decided to put the fuel tap to the off position! Now i get to have a thorough look over the machine.

All in all, mechanically the bike is sound (japanese engine!) but thats where the good points end! some other of the bad points immediatley noticable where:

Huge dent on both sides of the fuel tank
Both footpegs previously snapped off and badly welded on at dodgy angles pointing towards the floor!
Every panel broken or scratched
Horrible rusted and broken Givi bars minus the box
Both crankcase and clutch cover scratched
Downpipes rotten right through with endcan scratched and dented
Seat covered in duct tape to cover many splits and rips
Radiator bent at 45 degree angle, depositing its hot contents down my leg on the return journey
Bent handlebars with no end weights meaning intense vibrations from the off balance engine!

and many many more!

In the next instalment(!) i will tell you about some of the work that has been done and some of the disasters uncovered too!
wavie
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Re: Project junkfighter!

Post by wavie on Tue 25 May 2010, 9:19 pm

sound very farmilar thats how me and my cb started out but my cb got me home just lol.
never did take any photos from when i picked it up shame we could of compared lol.
nice to hear im not the only one.
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Sun 30 May 2010, 11:01 pm

Yep, the CB will always get you home no matter what. Very Happy

Mine shot the rear wheel bearing at John 'o Groats, disc moved out of line, hoiked the friction material off the brake pad backing plate, and I still nursed her back home to Fife without a glitch.

Stripped the wheel out after that, dreading what I'd find, and apart from powdered ball bearings and a vanished bearing cage, nothing wrong Laughing

I LOVE bikes like that cheers
Shadow_Alex

Post by Shadow_Alex on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 11:37 am

Nice!

Well the new update on this project is that i will be bying it a new engine! the old one runs fine but the amount of broken off and seized bolts its just not worth waiting until something goes wrong until i find i can't do anything about it!

The new engine should arrive soon and at least get it back on the road!
octane
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by octane on Thu 03 Jun 2010, 7:19 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:50 pm