Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Loobman chain oiler.

Beresford
the 900
the 900

Loobman chain oiler.

Post by Beresford on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 6:44 pm

I've just taken delivery of a Loobman oiler, and now I'm trying to work out the best way to instal it on my CBS. Anybody else here have one installed ( geewhizz ? ) Where did you mount the reservoir. I'm thinking that the space above the LHS pillion peg bracket and make a bracket to pick up on the peg bracket mounting bolt may be the best ( only ) practical solution. Any comments and/or installation photos welcome.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Re: Loobman chain oiler.

Post by geewhizz on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:16 pm

Hi Beresford, yeah I strapped the reservoir on to the tubular frame above the LHS foothanger using two cable ties provided. I didn't use the plastic mount that came with it as it didn't seem like it was going to help. Was a bit dubious about the safety of having an oil reserve suspended near the rear tire with just cable ties but its been on there for a few months now and I've had no problems. 

I positioned it up high so that its within reach when riding, and to ensure a good gradient for the oil to flow down through the pipes. 
Follow the instructions to fit the feeder to the rear sprocket, its a bit fiddly to get it spot on, maybe took an hour or so. 

I'm happy with the results tho, its certainly easier than manually oiling the chain. Only draw back is that I tend to pump out too much oil leading to a small oil patch on the ground where I park but its never bothered me. 

Stormbringer posted some pics a while back when he fitted his loobman, see here; http://www.cb500club.net/t2096-chain-oil-lube

Last edited by geewhizz on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling)
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 7:37 pm

I used the bracket that was supplied when I fitted mine, just to make the reservoir sit level.

I've had no problems with mine at all, its been on the bike for a few months now.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the pic. I've got one on the garage, ready to fig and I wondered where to put it.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

ive got a scottoiler if anyone is interested.

Clicky pic 1 
Clicky pic 2
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 10:49 pm

UKTyler wrote:I used the bracket that was supplied when I fitted mine, just to make the reservoir sit level.

I've had no problems with mine at all, its been on the bike for a few months now.

I think this is the way to go, thanks for posting.
al-91
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Awesome!

Post by al-91 on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 11:35 pm

While you're all on the topic of auto chain oilers, as I've finally realised (thanks for posting the pics Smile )  that the odd tank on the side is a scottoiler,

It's now getting low and I guess I could do with some more oil in it. 

what do you guys re-fill them with?
scottoiler sell their own brand of oil for them but seem quite expensive for the amount you get, is it worth getting or are there alternatives which do a similar job for less?

Ta,
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

I had a Loobman, for about six months. The nozzle kept clogging up and it was a ball-ache to keep clean. I binned it. Kept my tyre nicely oiled, though.....
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 21 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

Chainsaw oil is a good substitute for Scotoil.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 22 Jan 2014, 12:41 pm

In a similar vein I suspect that 80-90 gear oil might be similar - you could just get some chainsaw and/or gear oil (both of which are quite thick) and if they don't work dilute them with a bit of engine oil until you get the required thickness.
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Tue 22 Jul 2014, 9:17 pm

Normal engine oil in my Loobman.  Could even use old oil if you are really tight  Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm