Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Dragrace - CB versus Pontiac Firebird

stormbringer

Dragrace - CB versus Pontiac Firebird

Post by stormbringer on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 5:22 pm

Am I in over my head?

A friend of mine owns a Firebird '84 5.8l V8, used for dragracing. It's road legal, and packs a NOx-system, giving it 'in the area around' 500 bhp.
So, we were drinking beer in the workshop and the CB's acclaimed 5-second naught-to-100-time came up. "Wanna give it a go?" I was asked. And curious to know, I said yes.
We agreed to limit this to a head-to-head 0-100 km/h thing, because most likely I won't be able to do a quartermile in less than 14 seconds...

But how do I do to get close to 5 seconds? Squishing black Audis at the lights has so far posed no problem, but people driving black Audis also tend to work in management and have other people work on what's under the bonnet. In other words harmless, unless they have launch control Wink

I've never timed myself, and thus have no knowledge of how close I am to 5 seconds. Any advice on how to improve my technique is most welcomed. Target will be 5 seconds using the standard bike - no alterations.

Could be fun to give my mate a run for the money.
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Re: Dragrace - CB versus Pontiac Firebird

Post by Tricky. on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 9:17 pm

get a big rear sprocket
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 22 Dec 2013, 11:58 pm

What Tricky says. A bigger sprocket will help you shift off the line quickly. Perhaps cut down on pie-consumption.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 7:37 am

badseeds wrote:What Tricky says. A bigger sprocket will help you shift off the line quickly. Perhaps cut down on pie-consumption.
No alterations. The bike is listed as 5.0 sec with a 15/40 sprocket arrangement. I was asking about technique. Apart from shredding my clutch to pieces when getting off the grid, I'll see if I can keep it between 7k5 and 9k5 through the gears - max torque, max power.

Cutting down on pie consumption is always good. You made me laugh there Smile
Currently I'm 13.5 stone.
ryancook1993
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ryancook1993 on Mon 23 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm

Doubt youll get 5 seconds, as far as I knew it was more like 5.6 secs 0-60. Lean over the front, that will let you put all the power down, not that power wheelies are much of a problem on the CB, then since your already forward, when you have pulled off get your chin on the tank!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 27 Dec 2013, 9:56 am

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I suspect a good bit of practice can make you better. On the flat/straight all the 'shift' points should be at the same point every time, so having done it few
times before will help in getting it right 'on the night'.

You really need an accurate-ish way of timing the 0 - 100 km/h time on the bike, so you can tell if you are improving or getting worse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:52 am