Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Honda CB500S to CB500 Conversion and other mods

eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Honda CB500S to CB500 Conversion and other mods

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

I believe it is called a 'radiator cover' or 'radiator shroud' - it covers the side of the radiator.

I suspect that ebay might be the next best source....
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sat 18 Jan 2014, 5:22 pm

Made a start today.

This is how it looked before:

This is how it looks at the moment Smile it's a work in progress..

I just finished painting the headlight to matte black.

Planning to buy a digital speedo and using a magnet. Removed the speedo cable, but now i have hole in the front wheel with a small piece a steel sticking out and spinning if the wheel moves - what drives the speedo cable. Not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 3:24 pm

The simple solution would be to not use a digital speedo.... just get a generic analogue cable one.

I guess you *do* want a digital one though... I would suggest that (assuming you don't want the speedo cable) you chop off the 'wheel' end of the cable so you can use it as a cap over the speedo drive, then it won't get full of crap and break (it also means that all you will need to convert it back will be a new speedo cable).
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

Work in progress...

Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:19 pm

Now I am having a problem how to solve the speedo- question; I have completely removed the factory gauges and bought a bicycle speedo which can measure the speed up to 150mph- so no problem there.
The only issue now is that there is no backlight on the speedo...

I know I could buy a motorcycle digital speedo like Koso, etc, but I liked the idea of a bicycle speedo, which is tiny and minimalist.

I was also thinking about getting a Garmin Etrex GPS (£20 second hand) which I would mount on the handlebar to use as speedo. This can have the backlight constantly turned on, but it would drain it's battery in a few hours. You can buy a car charger for it, which would need to be tweaked around and connect to the bike somehow.

I might just install the bicycle speedo for now, and buy the Koso speedo later- once I got paid Smile

Any ideas with regards to the night-speedo question? Maybe an additional light to light up the bicycle speedo??
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:12 pm

It isn't difficult to wire up a switched live connection for the GPS (or whatever) - you just need some cables, a relay and a bit of time to work out what is going on. Somewhere there is a link to a good guide telling you how to do it (I could tell you, but it would be better all round if I found the link).
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 8:55 pm

I have found this with regards to the relay:

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=2444272

it looks pretty detailed.

Not sure how am I going to solve the speedo issue- will try to make up my mind this week.

During the weekend I have managed to paint the rear plastic panel and the freshly bought radiator covers too. There is still a pair of handguards coming, alongside with a fenda extenda.

I would prefer if the headlight bracket was a bit shorter- at the moment the headlight looks like it want's to fell off.
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:24 pm

Original Honda CB500 speedo is on it's way to me alongside with some exhaust wrap and handguards
TimReal
TimReal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal on Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:36 pm

Interesting project, keep updating!
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 28 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Just a quick note to say that the handguards below do not fit the factory CB500 handlebar:

http://www.wemoto.com/components/HandlebarsandGrips/HandGuards/picture/wr-wp93040-blk/

Will try these instead:

http://www.wemoto.com/components/HandlebarsandGrips/HandGuards/picture/hl-263031/
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:46 pm

Well, interesting day so far- I have learned that the dash from the CB500 does not fit the CB500S, so I need to sort out some sort of a mounting point.

More importantly, a lovely lady with her lovely mini cooper managed to knock off my bike while I was waiting in the post office...hmmm I love mini coopers, probably as much as I love range rovers... Very Happy ...not

Anyway, I need to repaint most parts; the headlight bracket is also damaged, but to be honest that bracket already started to rust after 1 week... khmmm... good quality..

Oh, the indicator also broke and the clutch lever bended. Next time I will cut the clutch lever and brake lever to half as a start.
jonny10
jonny10
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by jonny10 on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 4:19 pm

I take it her insurance is paying??
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm

Oh dear, were you OK?  The bike doesn't look too bad - I bet that headlight bracket will bend out.
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 8:33 pm

Started to sort the insurance out, but to be honest I think it will be better if I don't make a claim. The damage isn't too bad actually:

-bought new indicator
-tomorrow will paint again
-the headlight bracket has been amended to almost straight Smile
-will cut the clutch and brake levers

I also wrapped the exhaust up and I think it looks awesome Smile Will take photos tomorrow

Back to the incident question- I wasn't on the bike when this has happened- I was in the post office and left the bike on the street.

Here is a question:

I am working on the speedo now, but not sure how to sort out the wiring.

Basically i have a factory set up cb500s speedo and a cb500 speedo. I have made a wiring connection map below.

CB500S:
=====

Red connector:

Black connector + single yellow wire:

CB500:
====

Red connector:

White connector:

To be honest, I have no idea how to make this work  Laughing 

If possible, I would prefer not to mess up the CB500S speedo, in case I will sell it, but I was thinking to cut both cables, figure out which colour goes where and connect them using duct tape. As you probably already figured- I am no electrician Very Happy haha

Here are the 2 speedos:

Any tip is welcome Smile
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sun 02 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

Exhaust wrapped

Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 03 Feb 2014, 3:26 pm

What is the purpose of wrapping the exhaust, apart from getting that Mad Max look?  pirat  Does it make  you go 20% faster, accelerate  18% quicker and use 13% less fuel and all that malarkey? Or is it just good not to risk burning your hands when chaining the bike up...  affraid
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:00 am

Wrapping the exhaust was purely a cosmetic thing- my exhaust looked awful. Was thinking to paint it, but wrapping it was a way easier option.

I will certainly let you know if the bike preforms any better Smile
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm

Was working hard this weekend Smile

Still to do:

- Givi screen is on it's way
- Will replace the headlight bracket- this is a piece of ... at the moment. It already started to rust after a few weeks... Will get a decent one soon
- Need to cut and install the handguards
- Sort out the brake and clutch levers
- And of course install the CB500 speedo somehow- I still don't know what speed I am currently doing Very Happy

The exhaust and the downpipes are in a horrible state, so probably that will be the next big investment maybe over the summer.
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:55 am

I have noticed that one of my downpipe can get very wet if it rains, while the other one remains dry. The wet one also does make a lot of smoke through the exhaust wrap, the other pipe does not smoke at all

The one on the right does smoke and is wet.

I'm not sure why this is happening. I also installed a fender extender, so now the dirt shouldn't get to my pipes that much.
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

Maybe something isn't quite right with my right (on the photo, the wet one) cylinder...
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 12:39 pm

@Szabi wrote:Maybe something isn't quite right with my right (on the photo, the wet one) cylinder...

May be worth trying to tighten up the exhaust clamp on the downpipe that's smoking, soak it in plusgas first to free up the nuts!
Other than that make sure you have spark on that cylinder and compare the condition of both plugs.
Gonzumzum
Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 3:06 pm

Any problem with the cylinder would be audible no?
I would say that a miss adjust of the downpipes!
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:41 pm

During the weekend I painted the fuel tank which needed to be removed, so I used this opportunity to replace the spark plugs. So unless they are faulty, I am pretty confident that there is spark.

Gonzumzum- could you please explain what do you mean by "miss adjust of the downpipes!"?

Thanks
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm

@Szabi wrote:Gonzumzum- could you please explain what do you mean by "miss adjust of the downpipes!"?

Thanks

I guess he means the header clamps are loose or the exhaust gasket is leaking.
Szabi
Szabi
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Szabi on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm

Ok, thank you. I guess that would make sense. I will need to go through the downpipes then to see where is the leak. Thanks for the help

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 20 Mar 2019, 1:00 pm