Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Fitting a Stebel Nautilus To My CB500 (Pics)

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Fitting a Stebel Nautilus To My CB500 (Pics)

Post by sullivj on Sat 23 Nov 2013, 11:40 am

After looking around, I decided this was the horn I wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWDqNHbBIjs 

It arrived yesterday, and I thought I'd share the installation process in case anyone else wanted to try it.

First thing to note is the horn is quite big.  I've not decided yet where to put it, but it will probably be close to where the existing horn sits.

You can't just wire it straight to the existing horn wires, because it pulls too much current, so it needs to be wired via a relay.  Again, I have yet to decide where this relay will go.

These were the clearest instructions I could find.  I didn't think that the ones that came with the horn, were very clear.

First off, it's time to strip the bike a bit.  Remove the seat, battery cover, radiator cowlings and side plastic covers.  Be careful to push the lugs from the rear on the side covers, so as not to snap them off.

Then remove the 10mm tank securing bolt from the rear of the tank.

Then remove the 4 pipes that connect to the tank - 2 on each side. 

The smallest pipe on the fuel tap side can be removed easiest from where it joins the engine:

So then we get to this:

I ran out of time, so started quickly to make the harness.  I borrowed my friends new crimpers, which are brilliant.  I'll have to get some.

DAY 2

Well, that 'only' took 5 hours....!

I disconnected the old horn, and heat shrunk some new crimped connections to a length of waterproof cable, that I ran along the route of the existing loom.

I fitted the relay on the off-side, beneath some other connections.  I drilled a small hole through the under-seat storage and bolted the relay to that.

I made all of the connections to the battery and the relay, heat shrunk them all and then ran another waterproof cable to the wingrack at the rear.

I drilled a small hole in the wingrack and bolted the horn to that.  Thankfully, the Givi box clears the nyloc nut by about 3mm.

Then the big test - bloody hell - it is REALLY loud!!

The mounting choices were limited, because it's quite big AND it has to be within 15 degrees of vertical.

Then I put the whole bike back together and it's finished.  Oh, one more tip.  I put some grease on the fixings that hold the fairings on - otherwise they're really hard to get off.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Re: Fitting a Stebel Nautilus To My CB500 (Pics)

Post by sullivj on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 6:02 pm

Edited to add new pics...
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 7:09 pm

sorry to completely ignore the topic here... but that is one hell of a clean bike! xD

nice job :]
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 7:12 pm

Thanks for sharing mate!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 7:17 pm

G3o but that is one hell of a clean bike! xDnice job : wrote:]
Thanks.  Actually though, this is my 'dirty' bike for rainy days and winter hacks. 

Look at the shiny pipes on my 'proper clean' bike....Laughing 

G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 9:17 pm

haha i see what you mean! Mine is about 2" thick with dirt most of the time! I'm not used to seeing them shiny!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:22 pm

G3o wrote:sorry to completely ignore the topic here... but that is one hell of a clean bike! xD

nice job :]
That was exactly what I was going to say!

The picture will be of use to anyone else thinking of upgrading their horn.

I have a Stebel horn (not a nautilus, but similar) and yes, it is also loud as f**k.

They do draw a fair amount of current so you will want a relay as described in this post.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

The Nautilus is great in traffic, but tends to get a bit 'lost' at speed, because it's mounted at the back of my bike.

So today, I reinstated the original horn for extra hooting ability. 

I hope the video works..
Stooby2
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Stooby2 on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

I had one of those on my XJ900 and it didn't last a year, so it'll be interesting to see how yours lasts. I have a single snailshell mounted on the nearside just behind the radiator, which is loud enough.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 9:58 pm

Stooby2 wrote:I had one of those on my XJ900 and it didn't last a year, so it'll be interesting to see how yours lasts. I have a single snailshell mounted on the nearside just behind the radiator, which is loud enough.

Mine was fitted in November 2013 and it's still going strong...
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 10:45 am

sullivj wrote:The Nautilus is great in traffic, but tends to get a bit 'lost' at speed, because it's mounted at the back of my bike.

So today, I reinstated the original horn for extra hooting ability. 

I hope the video works..

fixed your video from the one you text me......

Gonzumzum
the 900
the 900

Post by Gonzumzum on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 11:36 am

LOL!
That will put all the traffic in a mile radius at bay!!!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 6:16 pm

Thanks for sorting out the video Dan. 

The video doesn't really do it justice though.. It sounds like a train is coming! When you need a horn in anger, you need a loud horn!
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 5:01 am

How about some form of pressure-sensitive horn button? It could range from "Oi!" to "FFSWTHDYTYDYT" Smile
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:28 am

alvamiga wrote:How about some form of pressure-sensitive horn button? It could range from "Oi!" to "FFSWTHDYTYDYT" Smile

if you look at the screaming banshee horn just a quick press gives a loud toot but hold 3seconds+ and goes crazy loud
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 7:02 pm

3 seconds?! I'm angry NOW! Very Happy
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sat 25 Apr 2015, 8:09 pm

alvamiga wrote:.............."FFSWTHDYTYDYT" Smile

Took me a few moments, but I assume it ends ".........you're doing you twat" ?
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:13 am

There's a few ways to read that, depending on your personal preference for profanity! Very Happy

I could have done with it yesterday when an idiot in lane 2 on the slip road off the motorway decided they needed to be in lane 3 and started to move over... to where I was. Fortunately, I'd seen the driver and the vacant look, more interested in looking forward at the signs and trying to decide where they needed to be. I was ready to move over to lane 4, for my own safety, if I had to, but after about the tenth press of the horn they looked over and realised I was there... in my bright orange jacket! :-/

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:20 am

My point exactly.. When you NEED a horn, you need a loud one!
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:32 am

Yes, but there are still those who hear the horn, but the brain won't let them realise it relates to them because they live in their own self-affirmed world.

A few days back I saw and heard a police car with blues and twos going from some way away as I came around a motorway junction. I slowed to allow it to pass. The guy to my right reacted as though it had just appeared from nowhere and stamped on the brakes; the guy to his right nearly the police car them and the next one cut them up. Too many people just are not looking out for anyone but themselves! Horns, hi-viz and flashing lights can only do so much. There is no direct cure for morons! Smile
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 10:53 pm

I had one of these horns on my old mini, It really is LOUD! It also, like you say draws a lot of current. The relay and fuse MUST be fitted. It only lasted around a year until it started sounding like a wet fart. I took it apart, cleaned it and I got a little more life out of it until it died completely. Id say try mount it so the outlet is facing down or at least away from any crap that might be able to get up it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:14 am