Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Engine Block


Posts : 439
Location : Sheffield, UK

Engine Block Empty Engine Block

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 30 Oct 2010, 5:37 am

Air Filter
(David Silver Spares)
If you are going to get a beefy pipe you might aswell get a free flowing air filter to go with it. Cotton guaze filters allow the engine to breather more freely, increasing torque throughout the rev range, and slight power gains. The obvious brand is K&N, but there are a host of other brands out there now offering similar things for less pennies.
Another advantage with cotton filters is that they have a lifetime guarentee, so won't need replacing every 10,000mls. They have to be cleaned and oiled at these intervals however, to avoid damage to your engine and the filter.

(More About Oil)
Using a good quality oil is a no-brainer. It will keep your engine running smooth and avoids an unwanted trips to the garage. Synthetic is the most expensive, and offers the most protection for your bike, followed by semi-synthetic and mineral oil offering least protection. However, people remain divided as whether using full synthetic is overkill for a bike of this kind, so many owners use semi-synthetic, which is a good balance of price and quality.
The CB500 uses API grade SE, SF or SG; SAE 10W30.

(Dyno Jet)
Unfortunatly if you get a can and a filter then your bike will need a reject, or it'll run hot. Which will melt you.
Factory Pro and Dyno Jet are big names, but you will need a professional to do it for you, unless you are already a dyno professional.
Around £70 for the kit, allow around £200 for fitting.

25kW (33bhp) Restrictions
(F1 International)
The low state of tune of the CB engine and placid nature of the bike makes the CB ideal for using on a restricted license. This is done by placing restrictive washers in the carb manifolds.
First off, contrary to popular belief you do not need to have restrictors fitted by a garage (although getting a knowledgeable person to do so would of course be advisable because it's quite complicated) - the only people you need to make happy are you insurers, and mine (Carole Nash) are quite happy for no proof, but they do threaten to test the vehicle in the event of an accident. Some demand a dyno printout signed by a garage, and a few others do demand the FI International Kit. Nowhere in law is a certificate required. Also, to do the restriction properly, you must rejet the vehicle. As standard it uses #122 jets and unrestricted manifolds. The restriction kit I ordered from Essex Honda (for £28+ postage) contained #125 jets and restricted manifolds, that had 25kW engraved on the outside to provide a simple external visual check. Furthermore, my restricted CB500 does not top out at 80mph - it can go far past that (as I've only recently aquired the vehicle I haven't taken it past 90 yet, but its quite clear to me it can do more). Most people say it's 100mph.
You can buy the kit from F1 international, and expect to pay £90-£150 all in.
[sent in by Adam]

    Current date/time is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:56 pm