You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Additional brake light

UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Additional brake light

Post by UKTyler on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 6:53 pm

Following on from the LED fork lights and in an effort to be seen better I ordered the same lights, but in red for the back of the bike.

As they are self adhesive I stuck them straight onto the Givi rack and wired them into the brake light.

Effective in the dark, nor over the top during the day:

I did say in the fork lights thread I didn't want my bike to look like a fairground ride, but in light of recent events I'm going to cover the thing in lights now.

I tried connecting this to the indicators before wiring it into the brake light, to see if it would affect the flasher relay, but it works fine. I'm now going to order some in yellow to put onto the side of the forks and wire them into the indicators. I'm contemplating a set for the rear, mounted on the Givi rails, but I'm not sure they will make any difference to motorists seeing me.
davetheworv
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Additional brake light

Post by davetheworv on Thu 24 Oct 2013, 7:20 pm

sorry mate I didnt see ya,lol
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:11 am

Wonderful. Got mine (yellow + red set) some days ago, but haven't had time to install them.

Yes, LED strips won't affect the flasher relay at all - they draw neglible current; 0.01 A. You could put 10 in parallel and it still wouldn't matter. For comparison, two indicator bulbs draw ~3.5 A.

Hmmm... Fairground ride... How about this: Make a couple of 'pannier-baseplate'-shaped pieces of aluminium, stick 10 yellow LED strips to each, mount the pannier-shaped plates  - where panniers usually go and hook 'em up to the indicator circuit.

MEGA 10 * 30 cm indicators! Now THAT's a fairground ride Laughing
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:20 am

Since I've removed the plastic shrouds at the tank from my CB, I plan on fabricating two metal plates and mount them on the radiator, now that there's a nice thread available there. And then I'm going to stick the yellow LED strips there. Massive indicators!

And then we'll see what the police says...
llcoolj

Post by llcoolj on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

I've wired up 2 Super bright LED lights to the Grill, 2 strips on the side engine cages and an additional brake light in the Givi top box.
I need them as be commuting back and forth to work and now its winter :-(

Well try get some pics up
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 12:42 pm

All looks very flash and probably helps people to see you, probably a good thing, however...

Not wanting to 'piss on your bonfire', but, in my experience, the blindest most dangerous people won't see you *irrespective* of how obvious you might be, because they either

a) haven't looked

or

b) have looked but taken no notice of what they saw

So while being lit up *should* help make people notice you, I find that a healthy dose of 'I will assume that they haven't seen me' seem always to be a good idea.

On a more practical note: do you find that your top-box overhangs the light on the Givi plate or is it OK?
UKTyler
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by UKTyler on Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:47 pm

I know from experience that some drivers just don't look, you will never be 100% safe, no matter what you put on your bike.

However for the simply non observant motorist rather than the completely stupid ones it all helps. If it saves me from one near miss then it has done its job.

The Givi box is well above the light, it does come out over it, but for people following the light is perfectly visible. Truck drivers parked up your chuff may not see it, but hopefully they will have clocked you well before they get that close. I've certainly never worried about it before.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 1:26 pm

@UKTyler wrote:However for the simply non observant motorist rather than the completely stupid ones it all helps. If it saves me from one near miss then it has done its job.
That *is* true.

I think my opinion on these things varies depending on how it has been since I was last 'not seen' by someone, which isn't very sensible, but... that's just me.

Anyway, safe riding to everyone... keep your eyes peeled.
teabag
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by teabag on Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

Anything that gets you noticed is a good thing in my book,
personally i have only a few extra reflectors on the topbox .i rely more on gut instinct and treat all car drivers as myopic cretins,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 10:56 am