Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

chain oil/lube

HomeBrew
the 900
the 900

Re: chain oil/lube

Post by HomeBrew on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

The chainsaw oil sounds good in theory but be aware- I put special STIHL chain oil in my chainsaw and it after not using the saw for a winter the oil turned into gloopy gunge that gummed up the oiling mechanism on my saw, gummed up in the bottle too. I now use the cheapest thickest engine oil- its good enough in a saw with a short bar and is stable.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

@HomeBrew wrote:the oil turned into gloopy gunge that gummed up the oiling mechanism on my saw,
Yummy! Thanx for warning me.

Hmmm... My saw - btw, I think a chainsaw is the most amusing garden tool in existence - just gets the cheapest chain-oil I can find. Does not gum up.

I have other issues with chainsaws; they're all designed for right-handers Evil or Very Mad

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 10:33 am

Is it possible to hide the Lobman tank in the underseat storage?  I don't like the look of it strapped to the side of the bike - that's the only thing that puts me off really.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

You can put it almost anywhere you like, as long as it is higher than the delivery head, as far as I understand.  It probably also helps not to have too much 'uphill' in the tube going to delivery head, or the oil might not ever get there.

I agree that it might be nice to put it under the seat - I don't know how upright the bottle has to be to work (I've only seen the old lubeman where you squeeze the bottle).
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 14 Oct 2013, 1:45 pm

I wouldn't tilt it more than 45 degrees - simply to avoid oil spill @ button.

Sure it's mountable underseat - but wouldn't that exclude you from using it while driving and steal precious luggage space?

Tube must have a continuous slope downwards. The shorter and more vertical the better. My installation, sloping down the swinging arm, is not the fastest one. But it has the bottle on the suspended part of the bike, the tube is snugly mounted -> will not easily catch on anything and can be operated while driving. In the kit there is a plastic triangle for mounting the bottle upright, but i left it out - it made the whole bottle fastening quite wobbly.

The CLS200 mounted on the bike when I got it had its oil container in the toolbox compartment right in front of the taillight and loads of wiring, tubes and whatnot plastered all over the left side of the bike - including an adjustment knob drilled through the left plastic tank-shield.

Tossed it all - including those pesky plastic shields. The right one had a ghastly paint job and the left one a gaping hole from the adjuster.

Now, the Loobman is all business. It sits out in the open, you can see how it works. I like that; full disclosure.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm

So. By now I believe I've got the hang of it. The Loobman works. It's cheap, it's uncomplicated and it does a good job of putting oil in all the right places.

Yes, it will put some splatter on the rear wheel - and on the ground. But this splatter will be 'just oil', meaning you can wipe it off, as opposed to the sticky lube which requires more drastic measures to get rid of.

Murphy's law states that if anything can go wrong, it will. So, of course I've put in the wrong oil (Altzheimer strikes again); 10W40. Waay too thin. Flings right off. So I emptied the bottle and subsequently filled it with 75W90 gear oil. Better.

Test result: Must have. No-nonsense-does-what-it-says-on-the-tin-functionality.
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:16 pm

I've also recently installed a loobman with 10w40 engine oil. How long does 75W90 gear oil take to travel to the chain? Does it still blob through the tube when you press the pump or is it thick enough that you need to fully prime the tube full of oil first?
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

@geewhizz wrote:How long does 75W90 gear oil take to travel to the chain? Does it still blob through the tube when you press the pump or is it thick enough that you need to fully prime the tube full of oil first?
Gear oil will just replace engine oil without any fuss. Takes less than 15 minutes to pass through the tube; I push the button after leaving my shed/garage/workshop, and tube is empty on arrival at work 15 minutes later. Just make sure tube is 'downhill' all the way.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 5:57 pm

Just ordered myself one of these, looks like theyve made come improvements to it, according to the confirmation email I got.

New developments at Loobman;

Loobman has been making motorcycle chainoilers since the last century. We made our first low cost “squeeze and go” chainoiler in 1997 and the world’s first commercially available dual sided oil delivery system in 1998 (a concept now used by at least three other manufacturers). The Loobman AB first saw the light of day in December 2010 and with such simple reliability we seem to have acquired something of a ‘cult’ status however we have always felt that these units were a bit too slow. You had to wait a long time for the oil to run down the tube to the sprocket. We’re pleased to announce that we’ve found a better oil transportation method and in fact by making a very small change to the existing unit it has become almost instant!
This means that unlike the earlier units, the bottle no longer needs to be fitted above the rear sprocket. It’s still gravity powered but now it can be fitted anywhere as long as you can reach it when you’re sitting on the bike.
With the bike at a standstill (at traffic lights for example) you just hold down the button for about ten seconds. Oil is transported immediately to the swinging arm then you just ride away as it’s applied to your chain. Feed continues for about two to three minutes (depending on the length of your ‘catch’ tube) so your chain receives oil as you ride, and then it stops and you’re done!
This new concept is now a part of the standard production Loobman chainoiler so we’ll be sending you this new, much faster device.
We’re quite excited about it and we even gave it a new name. We call it the “Loobman AB Dynamic” and as usual with Loobman products, the technology is so simple you’ll want to kick yourself.

Just need to get some oil to put in it now
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 8:27 pm

The Loobman works. I bought one , fitted it as per instructions, watched it do it's job.

And now I've abandoned it. Why ? 2 related reasons. The gubbins to attach to the swing arm is awkward to clean. And the delivery nozzles are fragile and easily bent out of alignment when cleaning. It became just so much easier to spray the chain with a PTFE aerosol now and again.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:24 pm

@Beresford wrote:The Loobman works. I bought one , fitted it as per instructions, watched it do it's job.

And now I've abandoned it. Why ? 2 related reasons. The gubbins to attach to the swing arm is awkward to clean. And the delivery nozzles are fragile and easily bent out of alignment when cleaning. It became just so much easier to spray the chain with a PTFE aerosol now and again.

And that's why I got rid of mine.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Sun 08 Feb 2015, 9:50 pm

I've never seen it a big enough job to spend the money on. I just lube the chain as part of my maintenance routine. All done in seconds.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Mon 09 Feb 2015, 6:32 am

Every man picks what solution he finds will suit him best.

While on the subject of chain and lubrication: I've just this weekend done mine - partly inspired by talks on this forum, partly by the fact that I need to replace the rear tire. More on this elsewhere.

The chain kit has done 20.000 miles by now. After taking the rear wheel off I inspected each and every link on the chain for slack, kinks or stiffness. Except for the rivet link which had a little bit of stiffness at its extremes (probably my fault on assembly), all links were moving evenly and with no sign of slack whatsoever. I'm amazed!

The rear sprocket looks like this:

Once more, I'm amazed. Practically no wear, to the extent that it's hard to see which way the chain is pulling. Remember, it's done 20k miles...

From this, I'd happily recommend JT sprockets in combination with a DID 525VX chain. And the Loobman certainly won't ruin your chain kit, it seems.
arrison
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by arrison on Sun 07 Jun 2015, 7:00 pm

OK, as i said earlier, I ordered a Loobman, and fitted it a while back. the email I received said I was getting their new, improved device. I meant posting in here when I got it but completely forgot. So, any existing Loobman owners, if you want to upgrade your unit to the latest spec, all you need is metal and pointy, and a lighter. I used the spring off a clothes peg.
Look at the curve of the delivery pipe where it exits the delivery head, and decide where the top centre of the curve is. Heat your bit of pointy metal with the lighter (you may want to hold it with pliers) and poke a small hole at top centre of the curve. Hey presto!-youve upgraded your loobman. The hole allows air into the pipe, so the oil flows quicker, and when you release the button it gets to the delivery head faster.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm