Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

forks

ryancook1993
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

forks

Post by ryancook1993 on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

Alrighty guys, 
I am looking for a set of forks, guaranteed non leakers as both of mine are leaking. 
Cheers.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Re: forks

Post by muttley1 on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 3:55 pm

Hi,

fixing leaky fork seals is a pretty straightforward diy job, lot cheaper than replacements. I'd say that unless your forks are bent or damaged then just do the seals, the bits/oil will be £20 or so all in and for a couple of hours diy its worth it - you'll get better handling from the fresh fork oil too.

m1
ryancook1993
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ryancook1993 on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

Hi, thanks for the input. 
I have refreshed the seals twice, they are pitted, however I thought they  were pitted outside the area of travel, I was wrong lol. Its either this or I buy brand new stanchions, but thought id try this first.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 4:47 pm

If you're successful in finding replacements, I'd buy the remains of yours - at least the sliders.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:57 am

Try filling the pits with araldite! Eternally-troubled has done this with great success.
Clean out any rust from the pits, dab some araldite in and sand flush with very fine wet and dry.
You'll have to change the seals again and preferrably get some fork protectors or gaitors to protect the stanchions.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:53 pm

Yes, araldite does work, for it to be a 'permanent' solution I would suggest that you use the 'slow' curing type of epoxy resin and make sure that you clean/degrease the forks well before applying the glue to the pits (I suspect that brake cleaner (which is mainly iso-propyl alcohol) would be good for this degreasing).

If you don't want to do that, then I would suggest that you might be able to get them rechromed (you could look here http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/price.php - I have no idea if they are any good, but it might be worth a try) - it is expensive but cheaper than two new fork legs.

I would only buy some second hand fork legs if I could see them before buying (unless they were really cheap) - you need to make sure that they are straight or bent (which is almost impossible to see in pictures) and that they don't have the same pitting that your existing ones do.

If you have the money (and are planning on keeping the bike) then the best thing to do is buy new fork stanchions, unfortunately they are about 100 quid per leg.
ryancook1993
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by ryancook1993 on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 8:21 pm

Can get them for 80 a leg which isn't too bad, however getting them re chromed is actually MORE expensive. I have the money atm, was supposed to be away for Christmas, but almost no front suspension in upcoming cold conditions is probably dangerous lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Aug 2017, 3:41 am