Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

What I got up to at the weekend...

jsnape
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

What I got up to at the weekend...

Post by jsnape on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

So on Sunday I got a bit of time to myself and going against popular demand took the fairing off my bike and replaced it with the standard headlight. Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures a long with some blunders I had along the way!

By far the hardest part was taking the fairing off and getting the bracket for the headlight fitted. During which whilst removing a mass of electrical tape from the wiring blunder #1 occurred - I accidentally cut the wire to the dip beam on the headlight. I then had to rush out, borrow someones soldering iron and reattach the dip beam, once I'd done that I celebrated with a few pictures.

Next was blunder number 2, the indicators I got off eBay were for the rear of the bike. I went through a breaker on eBay and explicitly stated front indicators but that clearly went over his head. They were attached to the grab rails and couldn't be removed. For an early test I actually attached the grab rail to the front of the bike to test I could wire the indicators correctly!! I then had to go and buy some new ones (£15 and look standard enough which I think keeps with the theme). I then attached the headlight on to the bracket (after faffing with the wiring!!) and took a few more photos. The bike is now back in a usable condition but not perfect, however at this point I decided to take a few photos and go for a test ride.

The things outstanding are neatening the wiring (there are still some stray wires which you may be able to see) and attaching a screen. The bike is also is need of some TLC, the parts of the bike covered by the fairing seem to have corroded much more than the bits not covered (probably due to water and grime getting "trapped" behind it). You can also see where the fairing has caught the tank and removed / damaged the paintwork but it's getting a respray early next year.

Overall I'm really happy, I much prefer the naked look and the slightly retro feel the headlight gives. The sacrifice is where I could previously cruise at 80 I'm now hanging on for dear life. I'm hoping a screen will sort some of that out but in reality the amount of motorway riding I do requiring that speed is limited. What's more is I had never done anything like this before, I'd always paid to get it done so this was a real learning experience and actually a lot of fun (the tip to finishing the job is to drink beer when morale is low).

Anyway, thought it would be fun to document my experience and share with the forum!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: What I got up to at the weekend...

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 27 Aug 2013, 7:42 pm

Well done that man! There's nothing like getting your teeth into an epic job and coming out the other side with a good result!

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:43 pm