Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S?

nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S? Empty CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S?

Post by nigelb on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:12 am

Hi

I'm brand new to riding, looking for my first bike, and lots about the CB500 makes sense.

One thing I did find on the Direct access training was that travelling at speed on a naked bike did not suit me!

There are more CB500's about, am I better grabbing one of those and adding a screen, or holding out for the "right" CB500S (the S seems to crop up much less often).

Any suggestions/ideas?

Cheers

Nige
chromedome
chromedome
the 900
the 900

CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S? Empty Re: CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S?

Post by chromedome on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:38 am

Never ridden a 500S, so couldn't say if the half fairing would give any advantage over the screen I have fitted to my "naked" 500. 

What I will say, however, is that all of the faired bikes I have owned have been very prone to wobbles in crosswinds to varying extents.

I fitted a Powerbronze headlight screen to my bike, and it deflects quite a bit of wind blast away, while not adding to the side cross-sectional area, and thus removing the wind problem. 

(I have to take tablets for that too).
Staib
Staib
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by Staib on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:51 am

@nigelb wrote:...There are more CB500's about, am I better grabbing one of those and adding a screen, or holding out for the "right" CB500S (the S seems to crop up much less often)...
Hi Nige. Welcome to the great world of motorbikes, and Honda CBs in particular.

I was very impressed last year by a CB500 that I picked up, for a friend, from Lincoln and then rode back to London.

Like you I found that sustained wind blast - along a motorway or A road was pretty uncomfortable...

But the good impressions of the bike persisted, and after a while I bought a low mileage 500S.

It felt planted and solid and I rather liked the retro 'look' of the instrument pod. I think that is important. Do you like the looks?

Since then I swapped the 500S for one of the new 500X's - mainly for the added wind protection - which is awesome, but that's another story...

Good luck in your hunting...

Nick
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:02 pm

I find that the screen/fairing on my 500S gives a surprisingly good level of wind protection, considering that I am 6'3" and rather tower over the screen. I don't like fully faired bikes 'cos there is a lot of plastic to pay for if it gets dropped. I think the best compromise is probably a CB500s with an aftermarket double bubble screen - does anybody know if there is one available for this bike ?
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

Never seen a db screen for a faired cb5, perhaps ask Powerbronze?

As to faired/not, I'd go for the condition of the bike rather than if its faired. A universal fit screen will be enough and you can change it/take it off if you don't get on with it.

Fairings of all sizes do make the bike wobble a little at some speeds, nothing major at all though. They do however create some buffeting at speed and can be quite a noisy addition with the airflow rushing around your helmet.

Atb, and welcome along,

m1
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 8:07 pm

@muttley1 wrote:Never seen a db screen for a faired cb5, perhaps ask Powerbronze?

As to faired/not, I'd go for the condition of the bike rather than if its faired. A universal fit screen will be enough and you can change it/take it off if you don't get on with it.

Fairings of all sizes do make the bike wobble a little at some speeds, nothing major at all though. They do however create some buffeting at speed and can be quite a noisy addition with the airflow rushing around your helmet.

Atb, and welcome along,

m1
What he said.

I have a naked CB and bought a Puig screen for it. It looked great but gave me lots of buffeting. It's less of a headache riding it naked

As muttley1 says, condition is more important than extras - although stainless exhaust pipes would be nice.
Beresford
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 8:34 pm

Powerbronze don't list anything for the CB500S but I found this on the Wemoto site - to special order only. No CB image unfortunatly.

CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S? 10025984
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the ideas, much appreciated.

What is a "high mileage" for a CB500
(is 60,000 miles fine to buy at, should I expect it still to be running fine at 100k?)

Nige
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

@nigelb wrote:Thanks for all the ideas, much appreciated.

What is a "high mileage" for a CB500
(is 60,000 miles fine to buy at, should I expect it still to be running fine at 100k?)

Nige

That's actually a very difficult question to answer.

There are some CB500 that will do 200k plus, there will be some that break long before they get to 100k.

A lot depends upon how often the previous owners have changed the oil - if they have complied with the Honda-specified 8000 mile service interval that is good (some people don't).  If they have done it every 6000 or 4000 that is brilliant.

Unless you are buying a single-owner bike or one will full service history you won't know how well it has been looked after - especially as almost no CB500s have full service history and most have been owned by more than one owner.

Ultimately the CB500 can put up with a lot of abuse, so I wouldn't be put of buying any bike, especially if it rides/runs well.

Finally you should consider this :-  If a bike has got to greater than 100,000 miles it has probably been looked after or it wouldn't have gone that far.  If it has only done 20,000 miles it might still have the 'dealer' oil in it..... I know which one I would prefer to buy (hint:  it wouldn't be the 20k one).

Anyway, good luck in your search, also, the correct screen can be beneficial, the wrong one can make things worse - so it may be a matter of trying a few after you have bought the bike until you find one you like (by which time your arm/neck muscles should be sufficiently exercised that it doesn't matter anyway :)
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:26 pm

Thanks for that, trying to work out how you guess how well a 10+ yr old bike had been looked after was giving me a headache!

Your suggestion makes sense, I'll start with something and see how that feels, then go from there.

Cheers

Nige
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 8:31 pm

Got one :-)
 CB500 plus a screen, or a CB500S? 2013-011
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 10:28 pm

That's a really nice lookin' bike, mate! Needs a Fenda Extenda though. The general rule with CB500s is; if it looks good, sounds good (clutch-rattle aside) and rides good - it is good.
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 11:03 pm

Ok, will "extenda da fenda" :-)

Just need to get used to all the sounds, and work out what they all are!

Seller told me it could do with a carb clean and tune, so I think I'll take it to a local workshop that the guys at work speak very highly of, and get them to give it a once over too.

Was also told it has probs with the neutral light, stops working when hot (and the temp gauge misreads).
This sounds like people have mentioned elsewhere, bit of wiring work on the loom.

Cheers

Nige
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:38 pm

If it rides OK without any stuttering or hesitation I wouldn't bother with paying anyone to clean the carbs - I might have a look myself, but probably only if I was having a problem.

As someone mentioned, if it rides OK it usually is OK.

If you have any problems just make sure you check the obvious things first - oil, water, tyre pressures, chain tension and lubrication - all things you should be checking anyway, but you would be surprised how many people don't bother.
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:50 pm

Felt several times like perhaps one cylinder was working harder than the other.

Hard for me to tell really with so little experience, and the 600 I did ride was 4 cylinder.
(power felt like maybe half that of the XJ600's I learnt on)

Have to say it felt a bit better after a burn-up up the M11, but I still figure it is worth getting a decent "sanity check" now, and start doing the routine checks myself (levels, tyres, chain etc).
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm

@nigelb wrote:... after a burn-up up the M11...

Ah-ha, you aren't around Cambridge by any chance?

Anyway, you are probably right about getting it 'looked at' by someone initially...  I was lucky enough to have a few helpful mates who made sure my bike was OK.
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

Yup, live just west of Cambridge, and work on the Science Park.

Wheelfit seem to have a good reputation round here, so I'll see what they say.
(Booked in for tomorrow, they'll give me a loaner which makes the logistics a lot easier!)
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 3:25 pm

It is missing one handlebar weight, should I replace both (and I guess it is worth getting original parts)?
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 6:59 pm

@nigelb wrote:It is missing one handlebar weight, should I replace both (and I guess it is worth getting original parts)?

One of my 500s is missing a bar weight and it is noticeable. Replace both, or remove the other one. Pretty much any Honda weights will fit. Spend a fiver on a used CBR600 one (loads of 'em about) on ebay if you feel the need.
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

Wheelfit gave it a clean bill of health (two new spark plugs, but they didn't do the carbs as they said they were fine).

Pair of handlebar weights on order.

Now trying to get to grips with how little storage space there is on a bike, and the aggro of getting into (and out of) all the protective gear every ride!

Nige
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 7:57 pm

@nigelb wrote:Now trying to get to grips with how little storage space there is on a bike........

The CB500 actually has quite generous storage space compared to most bikes. At least it should ease the transition!
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 8:18 pm

Am I missing something here?

It has something like a 1970's car ashtray in the right hand side fairing (looks ok for a set of house keys and some change), and a small near vertical space under the seat that doesn't look like it would take a litre of milk.
Is there another hidey hole I've not spotted?

I thought about taking the bike to Tesco's, but with nowhere to put what I bought (except in a rucksack on my back) and the thought of wandering round baking hot in all the gear I took the car instead Shocked 

It really does feel like a solid ride though ;-)

Nige
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:01 pm

Ha ha! Bless! Nope, you've found 'em!

My VFR800 has just enough room for a rudimentary toolkit and a couple of spares bulbs & fuses. Have you considered a rack & box? Both my CBs wear one and I wouldn't be without one.

Except on the VFR. Luggage looks crap and spoils the handling!
nigelb
nigelb
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!

Post by nigelb on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:05 pm

Right, it does indeed have a Honda rack, no box though.

There seem to be a lot of comments online about topboxes screwing with the stability, especially at speed?
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:09 pm

It's not really an issue on a CB500, in my opinion. Don't worry about it, just enjoy your awesome new bike!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 27 Jun 2019, 5:35 am