Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

No spark???

Bellyboy29

No spark???

Post by Bellyboy29 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

Can't get a spark out of the cb can anyone help?
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: No spark???

Post by alanesq on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 5:24 pm

Do you have any more details which could help decide where to start as it could be so many things?
e.g. has it suddenly happened, have you checked anything already etc.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 12 Jul 2013, 1:04 pm

Hi there,

A little more info might be appreciated, otherwise I suspect we may not be able to help...
robg123

Post by robg123 on Thu 11 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm

well i have same problem, was running but now no spark.1997 cb500 twin
robg123

Post by robg123 on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

have hard wired all the saftey switches..still nothing, got a spark plug tester and it seems with ignition on and me flicking the kill switch,it (plug tester) flashes just when i flick torun.but no other sparks/flashes
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 10:02 am

Assuming it isn't the side-stand or kill switch (you said you wired them out) I'd be checking the coil and/or the ignition unit.

Sadly there isn't really any tests for the ignition unit, unless you have an oscilloscope - then you could check the signal driving the coil.

Have you checked the wiring between the side-stand swich and/or the kill switch and the ignition unit?
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm

IIRC it is the black wire coming from the ecu/cdi that goes to the coils. To check this remove the ht lead from the spark plugs, get another spark plug and ground it against the engine When you turn the bike over it should spark. Do this for both sides, if one sparks and the other doesn't then you'll need to get some replacement coils.

The connections from the loom to the coil packs are push on spade connectors and can easily become corroded, they can be found under the rad cowl, and they're on the side stand side of the bike.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:20 am