Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, ride safe! The CB500Club team

[solved]Shock top mount bolt

funkawaana

Shock top mount bolt

Post by funkawaana on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:35 am

Hi all,

Somehow the bolt that holds the shock to the subframe (ie the top mount) has gone missing! Blimey, I've been riding it like that...

Tried Honda but they couldn't find the part on their fiche. Anyone got one for sale?

Thanks

Ian
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: [solved]Shock top mount bolt

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 11:00 pm

Take a look here at Lings; you want no's 18 & 23 if you want the pukka parts or it's an M8x50 bolt with an 8mm washer.
Check you haven't lost the collar that fits on the inside of the seat cowl, no 1 or 2 on the Lings link depending on the side.
funkawaana

Post by funkawaana on Thu 18 Jul 2013, 1:47 pm

Hi,

Much appreciate the feedback. There must be something up with this bolt because it's not on Lings either. They show the lower bolt but not the upper. And they're different.

Looks like it's not on the Honda fiche, and so they can't get the part number so they can't order one.

There's probably a warehouse somewhere full of them and a bloke wondering why no one's ordering any...

For the moment I have an ordinary bolt...Shocked 

Cheers
alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by alexibrow on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 3:40 pm

It is on the Honda microfiche, it took me about 10 seconds to find it.

Not surprised that others find it tricky, as it's in the microfiche called "Seat"!

I fitted a pair of new shocks today, and as the bolt also holds the seat panel on, it wasn't much of a stretch for me to figure it out.

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-1209-13MY52I1-CB5002-2002-F__1500-CB+500.html

Hope that helps.
alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by alexibrow on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 3:42 pm

Haha, just noticed that the link to Lings posted above takes you to the very part!
funkawaana

Post by funkawaana on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 10:34 pm

Perfect. Muchos muchos. You know more about this than 2 Honda dealers! Well, I don't know how strong that bolt should be, but stronger than the piece of cheese currently holding it together. Now i can get the right one.

Good stuff. Appreciated.

Cheers

Ian
alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by alexibrow on Sun 21 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

I wouldn't worry about the bolt that's already fitted being made of cheese. It doesn't really do much except stop the top of the shock from floating.

The shock mount itself is a lug welded to the frame; there's very little (if any) lateral or tension load on the bolt.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 6:23 am