Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

MRA Vario screen for naked bikes - review

alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

MRA Vario screen for naked bikes - review

Post by alexibrow on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:31 pm

I commute all year round on my naked Honda CB500, and cover between 65 and 75 miles each day. My journey is about 10 minutes getting out of town and onto the dual carriageway, then about another 10 minutes at the other end getting across town to work; the majority of the distance is at motorway speeds, and to be honest it's pretty tiring wind blast-wise, even with a (small-ish) Puig screen fitted

I finally decided to replace the Puig with something better, so I got one of these:

OK, so it may not be the prettiest accessory ever fitted to a naked bike, but my god it's fantastic! Which is why I want to post a review.

In terms of its design and construction, and my installation of it:

The bottom half of the screen is fixed to the handlebars, and there's a good range of adjustment to get it to sit where it needs to be. The top half fixes to the bottom half, and has four height positions, which I found can be very easily adjusted even with summer gloves on, in about 30 seconds. There is a channel for air to flow between the screens, which is designed to reduce the low pressure area behind the screen in order to reduce wind turbulence, and this works extremely well. The screens themselves are thick high-grade plastic, so they're rigid and feel very robust. The mounting kits and fixings are all well thought out, and it all fits together beautifully. Overall, I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the entire assembly: not a single complaint. Even the fitting instructions are well thought out. Taking my time and with some thought, I carefully fitted and adjusted it to sit centrally on the bike, in about an hour, without any problems.

With the top screen in the lowest position, I set out on a mixed ride, through town and out on the main dual carriageway towards Arundel.

Immediately I noticed an improvement, even at 30mph: with my visor up, the airflow over my helmet was turbulence free, and much quieter than with the Puig screen. Up to 40mph and I could tell that the air was being directed around me much more effectively, which is not much of a surprise given the lower half of the screen's substantial width. What was really apparent was just how much smoother (and therefore quieter) the airflow is now.

On to the dual carriageway: acceleration now feels effortless, and I'm certain that the bike is quicker as a result! I hit an indicated, er, 70mph momentarily, and I couldn't believe just how comfortable it felt in comparison to before! It actually feels as though the bike runs more smoothly; bearing in mind it's a parallel twin with a loud exhaust, this is a real achievement!

I tested each screen height several times, and eventually narrowed it down to the second-lowest setting being best for me. It's a compromise between wind noise around my helmet (the second-highest setting being the noisiest and most turbulent) and wind blast on my shoulders (the lowest setting having the most wind blast, but also being (on balance) slightly quieter and less turbulent. The lowest setting is the nicest round town though, and even at speed the wind blast is very much reduced when compared with the Puig screen.

I've decided to score the screen out of 5 (1 = poor; 5 = brilliant!) in the following categories:

- Quality of materials, components and overall assembly (including instructions): 5
- Ease of installation: (it's easy, but there are quite a few parts to assemble): 5
- Value for money (it cost nearly £130, so it ain't cheap. But it works really well and I will never consider buying another screen): 5!
- Effectiveness (almost perfect; I might play with the angle of the screen to see if it can be improved): 4.5!

Overall, I'm over the moon with it; it's almost as good as having a faired bike!
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Re: MRA Vario screen for naked bikes - review

Post by stevew on Mon 28 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm

Am i right in thinking this has only a two point fixing?
If so, does it stay put at higher speeds?
My current screen is a Givi with 4 point fixing and i was thinking of upgrading to one of these but need to be sure it's OK at 90 ish?
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Sun 03 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

Got one fitted it and ridden it about 150 miles now.
Bloody marvellous up to 90.  Tried all the height settings.  Normal use on A & B roads, lowest setting and motorways highest setting.  Still to test in the rain so i'll pop back here (if i remember) when the weather gets shitty and let you know all about it !

ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Wed 06 Aug 2014, 7:52 am

@stevew wrote:Am i right in thinking this has only a two point fixing?
If so, does it stay put at higher speeds?
My current screen is a Givi with 4 point fixing and i was thinking of upgrading to one of these but need to be sure it's OK at 90 ish?
It just attaches with a couple of arms going to the bars but mine (since removed for aesthetic reasons as not needed for commute) was fine at speed & in the wet.  It'll be sure to go back on for touring etc.
alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by alexibrow on Thu 21 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm

It's completely stable at all speeds, you'd need a lot faster bike to really test where it becomes unstable, if it ever does!

This screen is up for sale now, in the For Sale section funnily enough Smile
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 1:39 pm

Done a fair bit of riding with it fitted now and find that fully up is best except on fast motorway cruising (say 80-85mph) when I find it better at it's lowest setting.  Less buffeting around the helmet.  I do have higher bars fitted too so that may well make some difference too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:07 pm