Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

New(ish) member with questions already!

golfandgunnut

New(ish) member with questions already! Empty New(ish) member with questions already!

Post by golfandgunnut on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:54 am

Hi guys and gals,

Been a member for a while, had my CB for ages but only finally passed
my mod 2 a few weeks ago!

Great site, tons of useful and interesting info.

I bought my CB about seven years ago as I was having trouble getting
my u-turns down pat. After masses of practice in the back garden and
a local farmer's hard standing, and starting and stopping the whole test
process quite a few times, I finally passed and became a real biker very
recently and am now able to take my wonderful bike out on the roads
legally! I owe my license to the CB as it so easy to ride, so forgiving and
so much fun!

A quick question: going at 'normal' speeds on the road doesn't feel quite
as fast as it should, i.e. 70mph indicated feels more like 60. Does anyone
know how many mph per 1000 revs a standard bike should do? Mine is a
'98 500S with 56,000 miles under his belt so there may be wear to some
of the components that is causing a misread.

I think 70 comes up at 6000 but I may have got that wrong, I'll recheck
next time I'm out. I'll put some pics up once I work out how.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work,

Dave
stormbringer
stormbringer

New(ish) member with questions already! Empty Re: New(ish) member with questions already!

Post by stormbringer on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 6:18 am

Hi there - and a warm welcome to you. Congrats on getting your license Smile

Perceived speed: When I sixth gear my CB's rev- and speedometer needles align quite nicely. I've tried verifying the speedometer reading using my smartphone's GPS (using a small free app called 'SpeedView') and it is almost spot on. Verified at 50, 80, 100, 130 and 150 km/h. Slightly optimistic - one or two km/h too much.
I'm using a BT45 110/80 front tire.

The CB speedometer is wonderfully oldschool mechanical linked to front whell, meaning wrong tire size, tire pressure off spec or thread heavily worn will offset the reading.

So check that your bike has a 110/80 front tire, that it's inflated to 2.0 bar and has not worn down past the TWI marks. Or you could simply get hold of a GPS-thingy and compare its readings with the speedo while riding.

- thinking: Yours is a S model, thus with a fairing. Won't that shelter you somewhat, altering the perception of speed compared to the naked bike? Mine's the naked model and i'm still baffled by the perception of speed when going at - say 130 km/h. At 150 i'll really have to hang on and going flat out means more or less hanging on to dear life. Doing 180 in a car is by no means comparable!

This has altered my holiday plans. I've imagined a quick 1000 km trip to southern Germany (to see This POI) would be no big deal, but going at 140 km/h for 7 hours suddenly turned into a herculean task once I got out on the road.
Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

New(ish) member with questions already! Empty Re: New(ish) member with questions already!

Post by Basil Moss on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

Stormbringer, have you thought of getting a tank bag? I hunker down behind mine on the motorways and it keeps the wind off my chest. I don't have a flyscreen or anything, but the tank bag works a treat. Regarding speed, mine reads about 6k revs at 70mph in top gear, on stock gearing. In 5th gear it's about 60mph at 6K revs. I have long suspected that the speedo is very accurate - it reads about 10mph higher than my mates Suzuki GS500 when we are on the motorways. I assume his bike has a slightly optimistic speedo.
golfandgunnut

Post by golfandgunnut on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

Thanks Stormbringer for your welcome and all your advice, some good tips there.

My front tyre is the same as yours although I do have it at one or two psi over 2 bar, might be a bit firm. I think I'll try as you suggest and take my car satnav out with me and see what it shows.

You're right about the fairing, even though it's not huge I think I'm much better off than if it was naked. Must develop your arms hanging on at those speeds!

The museum site you mention looks very interesting, I'll have to persuade some friends to take a trip out there. I may need something a bit bigger and longer legged than my CB to make it more comfortable getting there though!
golfandgunnut

Post by golfandgunnut on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

Thanks Basil for the figures which seem to match mine. Do you think your mate's GS500 is optimistic or pessimistic?
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:17 pm

@Basil: Tank bag. Right. Got a small one - intended for the satnav and the stuff you would otherwise have in the ashtray-area in a car. Tried doing like you; hunker down and it surely helps a lot on wind drag. But going 800 kilometers like that - nope!

Of course the speedo is accurate. It's a CB-speedo Smile

@gunnut: Naah, think my issue is quite the opposite; I'm a nerd-type with the obligatory thin arms - and glasses too Smile

Sinsheim? Yup - if you look for it, they have an offer containing tickets to BOTH museums and [accomodation + breakfast]: 80 Euros
Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:29 pm

I do remember that when I had the stock handlebars my arms were really cramped when I was hiding behind the tank bag. I got ace bars and it's much more comfortable to me (former cycle racer), but if you aren't used to having a low position it would no doubt get tiring. Probably a flyscreen is your best bet.

The other idea is to plan a "scenic" route Wink   Much more fun on a bike as nippy as this to be chucking it around the twisties than sat there getting bored and covered in flies on the motorway, squaring off the back tyre. I do a fair bit of motorway mileage out of necessity, and the bike has plenty enough guts for it, but it's way more entertaining if I have time to take the "Z" roads...
stormbringer
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

Z-roads are nice Smile

But planning a vacation with lots of those is beyond me. Dunno how to do...

Yes, I found the Stelvio pass - and the 'Transfagarasan', but they're both out of reach on a 1-week budget. I've thought of Sweden or Norway, but those are quite pricey.

Any ideas, taking beforementioned 1-week-timebudget and departure from Denmark into consideration?
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 1:12 pm

I'm not sure it matters too much *where* you go, as long as you haven't been *there* before and you can plan an interesting route!

I'm quite awful at holidays - I don't usually go on them, so I can't really give too much advice.
muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm

Mine shows 80mph = 6krevs in 6th. Bike has standard sized tyres. 6th is really an overdrive, the cb works on revs and feels happier cruising at 6-7k, plenty left for overtakes.

As to the touring thing -a fairing is a good idea for longer trips, it really will take the wind blast off. I've tried with an without and with wins, some buffetting is worth less back and neck strain imo.

Freeflow and I (he used to be on here) did a few days in Devon a couple of years ago, both on cb5's. The bike does load up well and having a tank bag, especially if its hidden from the wind by a screen, does help distribute the weight. My bike still did 58 mpg all in (mways at 80, backroads) over the 600 mile trip, and mine has a race can.
atb

m1
golfandgunnut

Post by golfandgunnut on Thu 20 Jun 2013, 5:47 am

Thanks guys for all the helpful replies. I went out last night and mine does 80 mph at 6k like yours Muttley so the speedo doesn't seem to be over-reading any more than usual. Even with 56k on the clock, the bike certainly goes like a train, especially compared to the 125 which I was riding up until a couple of weeks ago!

One more question: there are black painted bars underneath each side of the pillion seat which have two downward pointing lugs/protrusions, I'm sure I'm going to have a 'doh' moment when you tell me but what are they for?
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:23 am

@golfandgunnut wrote:One more question: there are black painted bars underneath each side of the pillion seat which have two downward pointing lugs/protrusions, I'm sure I'm going to have a 'doh' moment when you tell me but what are they for?

Hooking bungees or a cargo net onto! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 2:56 pm