Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

BT090's and comparison to BT45's and other tyre reveiws please

Frasblade
Godly
Godly

BT090's and comparison to BT45's and other tyre reveiws please

Post by Frasblade on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:54 am

Hi there,

I am currently running BT45's on my CB500 at the mo, (thats what it came with when I got it) and they don't seem too bad, but being quite an aggresive rider who likes to sling it in to bends and corners I wondering if there are any other options for a slightly more sticky tyre but still has a decent longevity and mileage return. I have seen that I can get BT090's for it and have been considering getting these next time the bike needs tyres, especially as they are comparible in price too. However, I don't want to shredding thru rear tyres like my fireblade does, so am looking for good sticky for speed and especially corners, good wet performance (heh its UK!!!) and decent longevity - yes I know its a lot to ask and I do ride my CB500 at the high end of the rev counter. Alternativetily if there are similar tyres to the BT090's I would be interested in hearing their performance so I can make an informed purchase at next ttyre change.

Thanks everybody
toffeeroffles
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: BT090's and comparison to BT45's and other tyre reveiws please

Post by toffeeroffles on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 2:38 pm

I bought my CB with BT-090s already on, they had seen some track use so were part worn but mainly on the edges. They dont last long on the roads though. I picked up a bargin set on ebay for £90 to replace them when the back squared off.

The front is still holding up well but the back, I don't think it lasted much more that 2000 miles and thats on the optimistic side. Theres probably nothing wrong with 1500 miles around a track but on the roads they wear way too fast for my liking.

Grip on them is outstanding, certainly never had any issues and got them very close to the edge.

I just replaced the back with a new for 2013 Michelin Pilot Street 140/70-17, £66 fitted from a fairly local place. I have seen them online for £63 delivered if you are able to fit your own. I went for a quick scrub in yesterday and they feel great, very quick to turn in after having a squared BT-090 and for a brand new tyre, grip was quite inspiring. They do still feel quite soft to the touch but I guess only time will tell how long they last.

I avoided the BT-45s as they have a very flat profile and wasn't very keen on the feel after trying a mates stock CB. From what I've been told though, these are the best tyres for long milage.

I was also looking at the Pirelli Rosso-2s, they come in a 140/70 and are dual compound on the rear but for the price I thought I'd give the Pilots Streets a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Man6B6Bn064
Michelin dont seem to have the Pilot Streets info on the main site currently. The above vid and if you google them, theres a PDF with a little info.

My only concern is that the CB500 may be a little on the heavy side for the range of bikes the tyres were designed for but they do come in 66H(300kg/130mph) speed rating (also a 66S for lighter bikes) so they should hold up ok.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 5:34 pm

As far as I know BT-45's are the compromise option - they aren't the longest lasting tyres available for it, but do handle quite nicely if you get a bit frisky on some windy lanes...
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Post by Tricky. on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:16 pm

agree with above, and even more sporty are BT003.

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:26 pm

Hi there,

090's are a great tyre for the cb5, make the bike feel lighter steering and drop into corners much faster than bt45's/roadriders. Not so great in the wet or the cold mind but on a sunny day, worth it! (I've got through 4 or more sets and its two fronts to one rear). If I've 090's on I put on jack up plates !

The racers have gone onto 003's now so less race scrubs around.
Bt45's are pure road tyres- good grip, 3000 miles from a rear with hard use.
I'm trying out Avon roadriders at the minute, seem similar to the bt45 but are supposed to last longer, grip is fine and bike is pretty stable at speed.

atb

m1
G3o
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by G3o on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 12:43 am

Personally I use pirelli diablo rosso IT's front and rear. With a 140/70/17 rear rather than a 130. They stick like shit to a blanket, but rears don't last that long. Not got anything to compare them with on the CB its all I've used on it apart from a couple of hundred doorway miles when I picked the bike up.

Not massively confidence inspiring in the wet but on a nice day they are fantastic!
hudders
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by hudders on Sat 24 May 2014, 9:06 am

im going to revive this thread just for information purposes.

I have had a bit of a mare getting the tyres that i wanted for this bike. the tyres on it were a donlop sportsmart 120/70 and a pirelli 140/80 on the back. The bike handled really well, and i was hesitant to go back to a 130 and 110 standard. I ordered a pilot road 3 120/70 for the front, as the reviews were amazing, and in the wet you want the best rubber you can get on the front in my opinion. I went for a pirelli active 140/80 on the back as i couldnt get a 140 in any new tech tyre, which is really fricking annoying.

So the bill came to £186 - and fitting was £50.

I didnt see that the delivery was 7 days, and i had serious lack of tread, and the garage i was getting the fitting done had serious reservations about my odd tyres and non standard sizes. In the end i defered to their advice, they said bt45s were more than enough tyre.

So now they are on, the front almost looks like a 120, and wet grip under braking is hugely better than with the worn dunlop. The rear however just looks way too thin for the bike. Im yet to get it cranked over but i could easily get knee down and very stable with the 140 pirelli street demon.

I guess i have saved myself £50 on my original choice. But after reading this thread it seems that my choice of tyre wasnt as seemingly stupid and irresponsible as the garage had led me to believe. The idea that "if honda made these standard its because they are best for the bike" is probably nonsense.
Applecart
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by Applecart on Mon 23 Jun 2014, 4:57 pm

@hudders wrote:The idea that "if honda made these standard its because they are best for the bike" is probably nonsense.

I'd second that, it was a cost issue, and since the bike was aimed at commuters on a budget, the 110 130 pairing was ideal.
I don't think Honda ( at launch ) where pandering to the road warrior or perhaps even realize that a few short years later the CB500 cup series would be born. IMO they ought to have taken that on board and instead of just producing a commemorative 'cup' edition liveried bike, taken the time to introduce the wider rubber by perhaps using the CBR600 wheels of the same design. It would have injected a bit more life into the CB500 and diversified it's target demographic, much in the same way the new 2014 CB500 has done now.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

The 130 will look thin after having a 140 on there - don't let that put you off, it will work fine.

IMO unless you have a high-level exhaust and higher footpegs (you might - I don't know) then you won't be able to use the extra width a 140 gives you...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 5:34 pm