Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

alanesq - new member

alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

alanesq - new member

Post by alanesq on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:04 pm

Hi,

I have had several British bikes (and once a 80s GPZ1100 for a while after discovering how cheap the insurance was) over the years. I decided about 5 years ago to have a break from motor vehicles, sold my bikes and took my car off the road and I have just been using my pushbikes since then.

Recently I decided it was time to get another motorbike but as British bikes are now so expensive I started thinking maybe a more modern (for me) bike may be the way to go - after much googling I have come to the conclusion a CB500 (prob. around 1998-99) is the way to go as they are cheap and I have not managed to find anyone with a bad word to say about them !

So I am now looking round for one to buy (I am hoping to pick one up for around £700)
BTW - If anyone has some advice on common faults to look out for etc. this would be very much appreciated

Cheers
Alan
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: alanesq - new member

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

Welcome Alan, you can't go wrong with a CB5 for reliability and outright fun!
Just look out for your usual service items; check the colour of the oil, listen to the engine when it's up to temperature, etc etc.
Have a flick through this thread for a more comprehensive list of things to check Smile
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 2:06 pm

alanesq wrote:<snip>I am hoping to pick one up for around £700
Sigh...
Just goes to show that Danish taxes are out of sync with reality. In Denmark, a CB '99 will trade for about 2500 to 3000 pounds, approx. four times the british price. Example - assume 10kr = 1£.

So, from Denmark I wish you happy hunting.
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 5:45 pm

There are a few on eBay etc. around my sort of price but none anywhere near me at the moment (Nottingham).
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

Hi Alanesq

A fellow East Midlander! Im over the border in Derby. Had my 500 a few years now for the daily commute, keep the miles of the weekend bike. I have to say the 500's really are cracking bikes.

Take a look at racing lines website derby, he often has some ex training school bikes in. He has one listed on his site at the moment, though to be honest looking at it, it looks pretty tidy - cant imagine this particular one being an training bike - down side - no price listed, worth a phone call perhaps.

http://racinglines.co.uk/bikes-for-sale

How far you looking to travel to pick one up?
Are you looking for a do-er upper or one set to go?

Cheers

Simon

cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:38 pm

Not a million miles away :

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/honda-cb500/1020871474#photo-content
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:47 pm

I have just emailed Racinglines to see if I can go have a look tomorrow.
I would guess this one more than I planned to spend but may be worth considering.

I only have pushbikes at the moment so I am very restricted to what distance I can travel to look at a bike.
so the Ely one is not really practical (I could get a train I guess but I am hoping to find something more local)

I am looking for one which is usable as is but I don't mind if it is a bit tatty/needs some minor work.
I usually buy British basket cases so thought it would make a nice change to buy a bike ready to go ;-)

I have rebuilt several British bikes but my experience wit more modern bikes is VERY limited.....
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:55 pm

To be honest mine is too. I bought mine as a bit of a do-er upper and with a haynes manual and a basic set of tools nothing has been unacheivable, especially with some of the hints and tips from this site

Smile

Dont know if you know derby that well, get your self into the city centre, get the park and ride bus to the meteor centre, racing lines is 2 minutes walk from there. Nice friendly bunch.
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

So how was the cb at racing lines? Did you get chance to go have a look?
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

Don't ask !! ;-)

First off this morning I discovered a problem with my email which has resulted in my not receiving a lot of emails recently. I had been trying to buy a nice looking CB500 in Mansfield recently but gave up as no reply to emails - of course I missed it because of this problem :-(

I didn't get a reply to my email to Racinglines and couldn't get an answer on the phone - as they close at mid day I decided to have a ride over - thought it would be good to see one of these bikes in real life if nothing else (as I have only looked at them in pictures so far - never paid much attention to modern bikes).....

When I got there it turns out they do not even own the bike, just know someone selling it and pointed me to a small ad on their notice board.
I wouldn't have minded but I cycled 35 miles for that (this is a very long way for me - 15 is more like my usual max).
From the ad I am not sure it is good enough for me to spend that much, so no luck there.
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm

Ah . . . . .not the best day then!

If it's any good to you, I live in Derby but work in Nottingham. If you want to cast your eye over a CB500 in the flesh so to speak your welcome to have a look round mine. Mine isnt for sale, but your welcome to have a look, sit on her, to see if the CB is right for you.

Just a thought

cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm

MCN website - interesting!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CB500/1999/_/R-NXGN-7595022

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CB500/1997/_/R-NXGN-7592865

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/CB500/2002/_/R-NXGN-7593367 look familiar???? hmmmm
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:58 pm

The top one is the one I was trying to buy but missed it

yes, I recognise the black one ;-)

I don't think I have seen the one in Newark before though, I may contact them as I can get there on a train in 50 mins.

btw - thanks for the offer cb1300rider, but I will no doubt get to see one soon. I think even if I don't like them I will buy it just because it is becoming such a quest ;-)
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

I have found another one for sale locally and am planning to have a look at it tomorrow

I ran one of the bike status checks on it (mainly because I was interested to see what one is ;-)
It has come back with:
"Date of Transaction: 06/09/2010
Loss Date: 17/09/2010

Is this something to worry about???
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:12 am

Hi
If the bike your looking at has been in an accident I would check it over very carefully, or take a friend who might be a bit more in then know regarding these bikes. A different kettle of fish I know but my friend bought one of these new minis second hand - this had been a cat c write off, she had nothing but trouble with it. When she went to the garage and complained of all the niggles and gripes (not the garage she bought it from) there opinion was the repair made to the mini to get it back on the road was not good enough, more of a make do approach.

I wouldnt shy away from a cat c, would i would be VERY careful.

Hope this helps
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm

Well, I have gone and done it !!!

I bought this bike

paid £875, it is not as nice as it looks in the pic (bikes never are) but it is good to be able to stop searching for one 24hrs a day now ;-)

It is a 2002 model, 28000 miles, couple of months TAX and MOT.
I think there are a few bits of work need doing and general tidying up, but as far as I could tell it is basically sound.

I pick it up Thursday
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:43 pm

Got the same exhaust as me - given that the old mild steel ones go rotten after a while that's probably the best upgrade. You got a good price there mate, take care of it!
cb1300rider
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by cb1300rider on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

Superb! Just in time for summer too Surprised)
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

Good on you Alan! Not bad at all for the money, even if it has got a few jobs need doing! Very Happy
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Mon 10 Jun 2013, 9:43 pm

Thanks - I Will no doubt post much more on Thursday
will be interesting to see if I remember how to ride a motorbike as its been about 4 years now !
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 7:32 am

alanesq wrote:...will be interesting to see if I remember how to ride a motorbike as its been about 4 years now !

Take care buddy! If you keep the revs around 4-5K it'll be very forgiving. When you start getting the hang of it again take it to 8K and affraid
alanesq
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by alanesq on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:39 pm

I get the impression the chap who owned it didn't do a lot of maintenance over the past year, so where is the best place to order oil filters etc.?
I might as well get some bits on order ready

Also what oils etc. should I buy

In fact, which petrol should I put in it?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 5:47 pm

Any petrol, it isn't fussy.

Any 10W40 oil should be fine too, no need to spend £££ on snake oil distilled from asteroid fat and filtered through unobtanium - it works just fine on ordinary car oil. Just be sure to change it regularly and it should be fine.

Coolant is 50/50 distilled water and antifreeze - if you have doubts about the former owners maintenance could be worth draining, flushing and refilling that, it's not expensive. My bike was a bit limescaled, seems the last owner used tap water, so glad I got that changed soon after I got it.

Have fun!
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:11 am

I'll second Basil on the petrol issue. Manual says 92 RON and I've found that there's no gain in using higher octane. Some brands add cleaning agents to the product, and this may very well work allright. But you can always feed the bike Redex and use a cheap 92 RON brand.

Engine oil. Here, I'll in part disagree with Basil. I started out on regular 10W40 car oil, but found the gearbox became clunky. Changed to Castrol Power1 and some of the clunkiness went away.
But car oil won't hurt the engine in any way. Modern oils are far better than what the CB's engine requires.

Also, you might consider replacing the brake fluid. A small can of DOT4 will only set you back a fiver or so.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

I'd be tempted to change all the fluids Alan, you don't know how weak the coolant mix is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:53 pm