Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hello, what do you keep under the seat + vibrations.

kingsix87

Hello, what do you keep under the seat + vibrations.

Post by kingsix87 on Wed 08 May 2013, 5:34 am

Hello from Bulgaria. I bought 1996 CB500 nearly a month ago. So far I've done 2500 km on it and love it. The bike itself has 39 000 km. Here is a picture:

I have some vibrations. Not only in the handlebars, but the pegs as well. I suppose it is normal since the engine is not rubber mounted, but the handlebar vibrations are a bit annoying. After 200 km my hands start to hurt and I'm not squeezing. I ride it with 70-100 km/h, depending on roads and the vibrations are noticeable after 60 km/h. My handlebar is not original - one of the previous owners replaced it with something golden. So it lacks end weights. Do you think this might be the reason for vibrations? Unfortunately I don't have very good base for comparison, because my previous Yamaha TDR 125 had severe vibrations, clearly visible to the eye.

Also, my bike came without owners manual and the original tools. The previous owner kept chain lube and tire puncture sprays under, but it is always good to have some tools. So what do you keep under your seat? And what tools do I need to have just in case? I could probably buy some standard set, but don't want to find out the hard way that I'm missing just the right tool for some roadside repairs. I found that the hard way when I dropped the bike a week ago and the left front peg broke. Luckily a friend had some tools and we managed to put the rear peg in its place as a temporary fix in order to continue our 5 day camping trip.

And last question - I want to replace my tires. Mine still have some tread left, but they are from around 2006 according to the DOT label. Right now they are Pirelli Speed Demon and I think I like them for my not so fast riding. For me it is important to have good wet performance and to last more than 10 000 miles so I can use them at least 2 seasons. I read about Bridgestone BT45 and Lasertecs but what is your opinion?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Re: Hello, what do you keep under the seat + vibrations.

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 08 May 2013, 9:54 am

Very nice bike you got there - best colour too! Try to find some bar end weights, they do help damp it out a bit. I noticed the vibrations when I got my bike, they improved a bit on balancing the carbs, and bar end weights are great - I don't notice the vibes any more, although pillions have commented on a free foot massage at certain rev ranges!

Bridgestone BT45's are lovely to ride on, but as I'm learning are not the longest lived tyres available. I had a Conti rear tyre before which lasted for ages but wasn't so nice in the wet.

Under my seat is the toolkit, a little bottle of chain oil, bungees, rags, and if I expect I'll use them, a disc lock and chain.
kingsix87

Post by kingsix87 on Wed 08 May 2013, 12:18 pm

Thanks,
I suppose you mean the original end weights, not those decorative shiny things people put to minimize handlebar damage in case of a fall?

Could you tell me roughly what's inside your toolkit? What size wrenches and so on? If it is not too troublesome - I don't want to go around the bike measuring every single nut Very Happy

The underseat space is amazing - with the two full-size spray cans, multi tool, some rags and two spark plugs, I still have enough room for chain or something similar...

BTW, can you lock the steering on CB500 and how? I tried to push the key and then rotate, but it doesn't move.

PS. I noticed that my windshield is not very efective. It creates turbolent area just where my head is and the noise is very tiring without ear plugs. So I will try to lower it and if it doesn't work - remove it completely. It protects me only if I lay on the petrol tank and since it is not transparent - it is not advisable. So if someone wants to buy a windshield - don't chose that model.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 08 May 2013, 12:36 pm

Hello there!

I don't use the steering lock on my bike much, but as I recall you turn the handlebars fully to the left and then turn the key anti-clockwise from the 'off' position.

If you look here:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=F__2900&block_03=1612

you can see what Honda put in the original tool kit.

I suspect you could make a better kits using 'real' tools in the same sizes as the Honda kit. The original tools are really only for emergencies, in my opinion.

I have used Avon Roadrider tyres without a problem - they seem to be OK in the wet and haven't been wearing out too fast. Other people have used conti. Go tyres and conti. motions without problems.

If you tyres look in good condition and you are riding fairly carefully I would just use them until they wear out, ignoring the manufacturing date. It is always wise to inspect your tyres anyway, however old they are.

I keep different things under my seat depending on where I am going: on the way back from work my bike quite often has a bottle of milk or some shopping under the seat!

If I were going on a longer trip I suspect I might invest in a compact air-pump and keep the pump and a puncture repair kit under the seat, along with some chain lube.
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Wed 08 May 2013, 1:16 pm

i carry a small adjustable spanner, a small multi-bit ratchet screwdriver (with allen bits also), small pair of pliers, tyre repair kit, pair of latex gloves and some rag. Also carry a disk lock, spare bulbs and waterproofs.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Wed 08 May 2013, 2:47 pm

It varies, but at the moment there's this lot (includes standard tool kit) and the small ebay compressor. It is very neat in size but works OK for emergencies.

If I was going on a tour I'd find room for some chain spray as well.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 08 May 2013, 2:50 pm

Welcome Kingsix! Smile
As well as the standard toolkit & a small adjustable spanner I also carry some spare bulbs in a zip lock bag and a spare clutch cable. I've been caught out in the past with a snapped cable, never again!
davetheworv
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv on Wed 08 May 2013, 6:35 pm

if the bars are alloy renthal type, you will find the original bar ends do not fit as they are too large diameter to slide into the bar,also you will need some expanding collars to hold them inside the bars.light weight bar ends look nice,they have pretty colours etc,but they do nothing to stop the vibes,you need a good weight. my CB didnt have the originals but i found some nice heavy ones on ebay and got them machined down where they fit inside the bars as my bars were not standard either.
I used to carry mini mole grips,plug spanner,multi type screwdriver, small wd40,lock, and a couple of fuses,tyre valve and spare plug
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Wed 08 May 2013, 7:13 pm

Tools I carry:

Set of open ended spanners 8-17mm.

Set of ring spanners 8-17mm.

22 and 24mm ring spanners for loosening wheel spindles.

3/8 ratchet plus extension bar with adaptor for screwdriver bit of all types plus a set of sockets from 8-17mm.

Adjustable spanner.

Long reach spark plug spanner.

Drop jaw pliers.

Compact 12v tyre compressor

tyre pressure gauge.

valve extraction tool.

Mini multimeter.

LED head torch for those "peeing down in the dark" repairs (leaves both hands free)

Spare set of spark plugs.

Spare set of tyre valves.

Tyre repair plugs.

Spare headlight bulb, tail light bulb and 2 indicator bulbs.

OK, I know it's a lot of weight which probably slows the bike down, but this lot's saved my bacon a few times at the side of a highland road on other bikes (CB is refreshingly reliable, have to say).

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 08 May 2013, 10:47 pm

My steering lock requires the bars to be *almost* at full lock, but not quite. Be gentle with the key, and wiggle the bars a little to see if it snicks into place. I drip oil in the locks now and then too, seems to keep them happy.

My toolkit is the original kit, plus tyre tread and pressure gauges, and I tuck it right into the tail of the bike to leave plenty of room in the well.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Wed 08 May 2013, 11:36 pm

Basil Moss wrote:My steering lock requires the bars to be *almost* at full lock, but not quite.

Yep, mine's the same. It's because the lug on the headstock wears away so the bars move a smidge too far at full lock.
kingsix87

Post by kingsix87 on Thu 16 May 2013, 10:08 am

Last night I fiddled with the windshield. Tilted it back and all the buffeting was gone. Aparently if the windshield is too vertical the upper edge creates turbolent airflow that increased noise and pushed mu shoulders. Now things are much better. When I have more time, I will experiment with some cheap weights(nuts, bolts, rubber) for the handlebars to reduce vibrations, because OEM ones are too expensive. I think of trying expanding bolts for wall mounting because they will be fixed easily inside the handlebars. Will share the results.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 16 May 2013, 12:41 pm

You really want some lead weights - you might be able to glue them (using epoxy resin or putty) into the ends of the bars... good luck!
gaucho

Post by gaucho on Mon 20 May 2013, 5:30 pm

Hi! under the seat now I carry disk lock, U-lock, assorted tools and gloves (in the tail).

I used to carry the original tool set in the tail, and the rain suit in that big compartment besides battery, plus the locks where you see them. Seat closes perfectly, just a little bit upper.

handlebar Vibrations: If windshield is on, try not setting it too vertical, that helps a lot specially on curves, I did some testing on highway to find the best positioning. Also the top box produced me vibs, even empty. Full gas + tank luggage reduce the top box effect, kind of stabilizers. New front tire also helped.

Pegs vibs, only noticeable after long run, 100km aprox, I think I've got used...
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Mon 20 May 2013, 6:14 pm

Funny everyone mentions the way that topboxes impair the handling, I've never noticed a problem. I generally try to carry heavy items further forward in a tank bag and tailpack though, that helps. I only noticed the topbox when it was mostly empty on a motorway, with no other luggage - it seemed to make the front end a bit light at speed, presumably because it was catching the wind.
kingsix87

Post by kingsix87 on Tue 21 May 2013, 11:04 pm

Hey Gaucho, thanks. I haven't even noticed there is a hole at the back of the tail. Great place to store small items.and the u-lock placement is very nice. I noticed decrease in vibrations after I lowered the windscreen and fixed the headlight - its rubber bearings were torn and slided out of their sockets - some duck tape and fasteners saved the day and around 30 euro.
stormbringer

U-lock and a question

Post by stormbringer on Thu 23 May 2013, 10:30 am

@gaucho:
U-lock and disc lock placement - a strike of genius! I'd like to copy that; can you tell me what brand and model the U-lock is? I've tried looking at my own bike's under-seat-room, and can hardly believe this to be possible without the seat pushing down on the locks.
stormbringer

Under-seat-stuff...

Post by stormbringer on Thu 23 May 2013, 11:48 am

On the subject of 'what is under the seat', I have a question:
In the picture below, I've circled a small plastic peg/clamp/doodad that exist in both gaucho's and my own under-seat-compartment:

Anyone who knows its intended use?

NB:
Behind the plastic doodad you see the original toolkit, tucked nicely away in the tail compartment Smile
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 23 May 2013, 12:05 pm

That clip is present on my bike too - I don't know what it is for either! Could it have been for some kind of restraining device for the toolkit?
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 23 May 2013, 1:46 pm

One of the cables for the rear indicators fits in it, stops the toolkit escaping.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 24 May 2013, 5:57 am

eternally_troubled wrote:That clip is present on my bike too - I don't know what it is for either! Could it have been for some kind of restraining device for the toolkit?
You seem to be spot on. I went through the manual, and on page 52 I found this:

Indeed it looks like a strap holder.

The other end (strap itself) has gone missing, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm