Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First CB project/cleanup thread.

badseeds

Awesome!

Re: First CB project/cleanup thread.

Post by badseeds on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:46 pm

@WeeTony wrote:Recommendations for a quality but cheap (as i'll probably never need it again) chain joining gadget......

Don't buy a cheap one. I did, and the pin that peens over the pins on the soft-link bent.

Your CB500 will prove itself to be indispensible and you'll keep it a long time; you're gonna wanna fit another chain sometime!
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161226315310

How's this?

Also, do I have to cut the chain I bought?  Or will it be the right size straight out the box?
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 10:21 pm

@WeeTony wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161226315310

How's this?

Also, do I have to cut the chain I bought?  Or will it be the right size straight out the box?

Thats the very one I bought! You don't need to cut anything. That tool presses out the pins on the old chain and peens over the pins on the new one.

My next one will be a DID KM-500. It's what grown-ups use.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:43 pm

Hey dudes, 

So I found out that removing that oil seal behind the front sprocket is like, the worst thing I could ever have done....

After destroying a new one in an attempt to replace it, I have discovered that the only way to get a new one in (and I've now bought a second new one to do just that) is by removing the engine and splitting the crankcases (whatever they are  Neutral )

Literally looked for any way to avoid doing this, I want back on the road ASAP!!!

Anyway, a two page thread on here came to the conclusion that there was no bodge...and so I returned to the garage this afternoon with a clear plan...

Haynes, Chapter 2, Section 5...Engine removal, starting with the air box...

Then the carbs...etc.

And before you know it...

Did what any one of you would do, and got my electric toothbrush and some gunk in about it...

I'm not rushing this, I'm going to take my time and make sure it's done right so that when I put it back together, the bike is like new...

For one thing I'll get the cooling system working for the first time in a long time..

And don't worry about me not seeing the road for a while, I went and bought myself this...

Laughing 

Pick it up on Wednesday.

Thanks for reading, please leave a comment so I know i'm not writing to myself, I need some encouragement to get this engine open and rebuilt.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:53 pm

Tony,

You're a brave man, but sometimes, you gotta do, what you gotta do...!

I would love to get mine out, but only to give it a good clean :-)

Thanks for the pics. I hope you can take and post more as you go. I look forward to when you can ride it again..

And WOW, the new wheels look very nice.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 1:35 pm

You'll enjoy the SV650 (I think that's what it is).

I don't think you'll have a problem getting the engine apart, as long as you take a steady and don't rush.

I haven't had to do this much to my engine - in some ways I'm glad, in some ways I would like to take it apart just to have a look.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Mon 07 Apr 2014, 10:31 pm

Ha! Take it apart to have a look! totally what I'm feeling now.  And yeah, it's an SV650....

...it will do me until the cb is back on the road Smile

Guys anything I should buy in advance of doing this?  Will I need to replace all seals and gaskets or get away with a  few and some sealant?

Anyone done what I'm doing, to replace that seal? Is there a quick route?  Haynes has me starting at the top of the block.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 7:47 am

This is awesome. It's great to read about home mechanics doing jobs I thought were outside our reach, gives me the confidence to have a go at some of the bigger jobs in the Haynes. I remember when I wondered if I'd be able to replace the fork oil seals at home! Hope it all goes well, remember to keep all the parts tidy, I'm sure you'll get it done sooner than you expect to.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 4:15 pm

@WeeTony wrote:Ha! Take it apart to have a look! totally what I'm feeling now.  And yeah, it's an SV650....

...it will do me until the cb is back on the road Smile

Guys anything I should buy in advance of doing this?  Will I need to replace all seals and gaskets or get away with a  few and some sealant?

Anyone done what I'm doing, to replace that seal? Is there a quick route?  Haynes has me starting at the top of the block.

You'll probably need a gasket - I'm pretty sure there is one and you wouldn't want to have to take it all apart again if it starts leaking after you've put it all back together.

I haven't got my haynes to hand but I'm pretty sure that if you read the re-assembly instructions it should mention any gaskets etc that are needed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:54 pm