Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

First CB project/cleanup thread.

teabag
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Re: First CB project/cleanup thread.

Post by teabag on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 10:04 pm

Good thread Tony,
My Mrs is Italian and liked the rear reflector,
as for the Scottoiler,it vaccum fed and runs of the carb balance take off,what ever you do do not fill the hole,you should get the appropriate cover/blanking screw for it,
When you come to balance your carbs this is one of the vaccum points .
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Fri 08 Nov 2013, 9:34 pm

So this is my wee darling after being wheeled in to hibernation for the winter.

Made sure she has plenty of room and good working light:

Cos I have a lot of plans!!!

Some moments later...

Seats off, tanks off, radiators off and exhaust is off.

Nothing was too difficult but the coolant that I flushed and replaced not long ago was more sludge than coolant, so my radiator will be getting replaced, along with the brackets that were no longer holding it together.

First job though is the exhaust:

It may clean up okay, but I think a replacement is on the cards.

Once that's done I'll sort the headlight bowl, it's not the prettiest.

And then I'll recover the seat...should I put a new cover over the old? Or remove old one first?

SO once I've done that, it's onto the back! 

Need my rear tyre replaced, chain and sprocket replaced and suspension cleaned up at least.

Already can't wait for next summer!! 

Try and keep me motivated, it's bloody cold out there!
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 08 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

If you are going to recover the seat, have a look at the various youtube how-to postings - they are very informative. I've redone mine as I had to raise the seat with foam 'cos I'm not a small lad and found it is a straightforward job. You'll need an electric stapler - I got a Stanley which is adequate with a little practice. Buy good quality vinyl which is quite stretchy and can be easily pulled into shape over the moulded foam without wrinkles. Take the old vinyl off and remove all the old staples, they will only be in the way.

This was my first ever attempt.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 4:09 pm

Okay, 

So I've been mostly sitting indoors in the warmth and scouring ebay if I'm being honest. 

Was renovating a wee flat so didn't really have the time to give the bike and also I've not long started a new job.

That said, I've just sold the wee van I bought to help me renovate the flat so I need to get this wee beast back on the road.

Failed to find a decent exhaust for less than £200 and reluctant to spend that kind of money on an exhaust can, so I'm doing my best with the original.

I also have stripped the handlebars as it needs a paint, and decided when I had it all stripped that I might well flip it for a more mean ride position.  What do you think?  Anyone done it? easiest cheapest mod in the book!

Anyway, while the exhaust is getting covered in gun gum and sanded I turned my attention to the seat...

I wanted to get a perforated cover, but obviously that would lead to a soaking seat sponge, so I found a cool basketweave effect vinyl that isn't perforated but looks like it is.

new and old:

Took to the kitchen to start refitting...

but it's not going quite to plan as my staple gun is not good enough, or my staples? or my might?

Have ordered some new staples to see if that makes it easier...

And some ordered some other wee bits and bobs Smile

lots of niceties!! Watch this space, see you soon.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 31 Jan 2014, 7:49 pm

Tony,

We've got the same 'wee' bench!

Interesting reading - thanks.

I 'restored' my exhaust in the summer. It's held up very well since.

Crash- Elmit
Running out of unique names

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 6:53 pm

cracking job Tony. where did you get the vynyl from to do your seat?
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:21 pm

cheers dude.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141053796831

Will have enough to do a seat left over if I can get this done with the piece I've cut.

I'll keep you updated here and you can let me know if you're interested.
Crash- Elmit

Post by Crash- Elmit on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:35 pm

Thankyou for the link. that stuff looks like it might be quite grippy, so less sliding about on the  seat when in my textiles. I would be very interested in the stuff you have left over.

The seat on my 1995 CB5 was recovered by the previous owner and I don't think a very good job was made of it. I'm not sure if the material is leather or vinyl, but the foam is quite lumpy in places at the front

Last edited by Crash- Elmit on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling,grammer)
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 10:49 pm

Hey sullivj, we have the same bike and the same bench, but also the same taste in high temperature paint!

What's the finish like? I don't want it to dry too grey??

and have you any tips on the sanding/spraying of the exhaust (I'm planning to do downpipes too)?
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Sat 01 Feb 2014, 11:03 pm

Crash, I'll hopefully get this finished on Monday when the new staples arrive, will let you know how I get on and what I think of the finish, definitely more grip as a surface and a different look which is always nice.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:35 pm

Hi guys, 

Sorry for not pulling my weight, but I sold my van quicker than expected so was without a car for a while and a means of getting about.

Good news! Sorted a car pronto! And with the money I got from selling the van (full asking price!) I could order everything I needed to get this beastie back on the road.

So, first to arrive was my staples (T50s = sharp point = perfect) so I got the seat finished:

TO be dead honest it's not perfect, but I highly recommend doing it yourself.  I rushed it a bit and it's pretty damn good.  I'm going to keep the spare bit I have to probably redo this at some point, but the link is above if you fancy getting this same vinyl, it's perforated effect and looks very cool and a bit different.  I'll give you a wear and tear update once I've sat on it for some miles.

NExt up, I moved the growing collection to the garage, as my room was quickly running out of space:

NExt up I fixed a long running issue, where my cheap ass wing mirrors kept moving in high winds/fast speeds.

I drilled a hole in the back of them and sprayed the joints with carpet adhesive...didn't wanna leave a hole though, oh hello rubber grommets:

Careful when you're drilling the back of a mirror though, I was so excited with the finish of my workmanship that mirror 2 didn't go quite as sweet.

Next up is my new exhaust.  I was fixing up the original but keeping an eye on ebay when I saw a delkevic can for £50...

The picture's were pretty deceptive as a dent on the back and some light scratches turned out to be a big dent where the pipe meets the can, so I did what I always do and just took it apart...

By this point I had removed the rivetted end strap (without knowing how I'd fix it back) and done my best to straighten the can.

My excellent photography displaying the end piece in it's scratched glory.

Scratched holder.

Ebay arrival 1 of 4 specifically for refurbing the end can is this new rubber strap, pictured with the old ripped one. 

2 is rivet gun and 3 is sandpaper so watch this space for exhaust refurb...

Dejavu as I'm sanding engine case 2/2.  This is one I bought though, as sanding off the brushed finish is murder, but this is another example of ebay picture sneakiness, it's got a few deep scratches.

Getting bits ready to paint:

Join me next time, I'll be continuing the exhaust refurb, spraying bits and before you know it, rebuilding my CB!

Thanks
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:26 pm

That's a good read Tony! Did you use a manual staple gun? I need to re-cover the seat on mine.
Do you use a hot air gun to shape the vinyl to the seat or does it just stretch over?
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:11 pm

I used a manual stapler, but I got some good quality sharp point staples..."T50" it said on the pack.

I didnt use a hair dryer / hot air gun but I think that would return better results, the vinyl I got is quite stretchy, much more so than the original, and I was too impatient.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:23 pm

Hey dudes, 

So tonight after work I headed over to the garage, to paint some parts cos I'm away for the next 4 days and didn't want my sanding turning to rust.

Just so happens my new favourite tool arrived, so I got another wee job done.

Got myself a draper rivet gun, man this gadget is cool, looks like cable ties are now my second favourite way to attach stuff when you don't have the correct size bolt.  SO easy, yet such a manufactured looking finish.

I know it doesn't look like it, but this is a huge improvement:

Everything sanded, no more mirror finish ( wouldn't suit my bike) and new rubber strap: 

Trial fitted and put aside for now:

The damaged bit, although now much improved, isn't really visible anway Smile

Set up the bits I was planning to paint:

Then painted them:

Well, primed anyway.

These are iphone pics so I'll remember to take my camera when I return to finish painting and strip the back end for suspension, chain and tyre replacement!!

See you soon, thanks for looking.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:18 am

I hate you, Tony! I hate you and your massive lovely garage!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:36 am

WeeTony wrote:I used a manual stapler, but I got some good quality sharp point staples..."T50" it said on the pack.

I didnt use a hair dryer / hot air gun but I think that would return better results, the vinyl I got is quite stretchy, much more so than the original, and I was too impatient.

Cheers for that Tony, I'll have a go!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

WeeTony wrote:Hey sullivj, we have the same bike and the same bench, but also the same taste in high temperature paint!

What's the finish like? I don't want it to dry too grey??

and have you any tips on the sanding/spraying of the exhaust (I'm planning to do downpipes too)?

It dried Matt black. It's not grey. I haven't done the down pipes yet - just the can.

I sanded with varying grades if wet and dry paper. 6 months on and it's still looking good. I didn't bake it in the oven as it suggests, just warmed it up on the bike when it was dry.

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 14 Feb 2014, 7:43 am

sullivj wrote:It dried Matt black. It's not grey.

Wow - that looks good! Top job Smile
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:48 pm

So I got the haynes out for the first time since I started pulling this wee beast apart:

All in the name of removing this:

Taking the back panel off let me remove the grabrails for painting and showed just how bad those springs are...

I'll leave them on til the wheel is back on retyred.

These are the new bits for painting:

Having run out of vices, came up with this genius plan to paint them all round in one go:

The original exhaust is actually coming up okay despite fearing it was fit for the bin, so I now have a decent spare and can put it back on if/when I sell this wee beast.

Rivet gun was used again to rerivet the chain guard..  Removed the metal plate as it's deemed unnecessary by me, so 3 of these rivets are decorational:

Didn't take many more pics I'm afraid but I've trial fitted my new indicators, which look amazing, but may need longer wires and gave everything another coat of primer after a fine sanding.

So next week I'll be removing the chain, refitting the back wheel after a massive clean in there. and then changing the springs before finishing off my paintwork and rebuilding this wee beast.

Thanks for reading.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 11:14 pm

I'm sure you're sick of seeing my clutch cover, but here it is now lacquered:

My bike is getting more and more taken apart as my "quick winter resto" is becoming a mission in perfectionism...as I pull off more and more parts to rid them off rust.

Swingarm will be getting a quick spray once my chains off (ordered a splitter tool) this is it after some wire brushing.

Petrol cap was removed and sanded.  100 grit to match my exhaust can, and no more pitted fuel cap! Smile

My grabrail is now black, to match a few bits, and I am nearly finished with the pulling apart and spraying of bits, so soon it will be the rebuild!!!!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:51 am

The transformation on that clutch cover is awesome Tony. It looks brand new now.

Looking forward to seeing it all go back together.
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

Operation bit off more than I can chew continued today as I once again decided "why not?" in regards to removing my swingarm to give it the sand and paint it so badly deserved...

I've opted for high temperature black as I can't be bothered priming and lacquering when it's only going to be covered in mud and street shite.

Got my chain off with my new favourite tool...

Well, it was my newest favourite tool until I nipped to halfrauds this afternoon to get something to help me take my front sprocket off...

This 3 legged puller made front sprocket removal an absolute doddle after I'd spend the best part of 3 hours frying it with a blowtorch, levering at it with screwdrivers and smacking it with a hammer.

Finally got round to fitting my newly painted clutch cover...

Upon removal of the original I discovered that the clutch rod (that's what I'm calling it? the rod from clutch cable down to actual clutching bit, doesn't move freely enough on the new one, as it is dented at the top.

I realised this before I had started to paint it, but not until I removed the original did I notice the true extent of it's restricted movement.

So i've spent £13, 4 coats of paint and a lot of my time to make a clutch cover, that will serve only as a temporary clutch cover, while I now remove the original and sand and paint it. Sad

Not to worry, I started rebuilding this beastie before I left the garage, was getting well excited seeing it going back together, but never took any photos, and left the garage early cos my dinner was ready and it was fajita night.

Will take some tomorrow, in the meantime, here's my Honda's new stablemate and my next project...

Another cool classic, easy to work on, easy to enjoy.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:41 pm

Sad about the cover Tony.

I'm loving your Panda! That's even more shiny than when it left the manufacturer!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

Panda is nice; CB500 is better Smile
WeeTony
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by WeeTony on Tue 18 Mar 2014, 9:13 pm

Hey dudes, 

With the sun showing it's face around here every now and then and more and more bikes seen on the road, I inevitably started the rebuild.

I genuinely would have the bike laid out in bits if I didn't decide I had done enough and to put it back together for the mean time.  The other day I took apart my choke for example.

Anyway, first things first, swingarm back on, then the wheel, once I'd torqued on the new rear sprocket (100 Nm no less!) and then my shiny new shocks.

Made use of my new £8 LIDL soldering iron when fitting my new indicators, as I had to take the wires from the old ones and solder them to the new, as they were too short.  (it worked!)

New chain guide peeking through, and you can see the aftermath of my sprocket removal attempts.  Can I buy a new seal for the front sprocket?  Will it pose a problem as is?

Old shocks and springs, which had always seemed okay in photos...

New right side...with rebuilt footrest, well cleaned (electric toothbrush again!)

Toyed with the idea of removing the cb500 graphic....

It's too cool.  Black grab rails anyone?

Reupholstered saddle and exhaust and I was getting excited...

Delighted with how she's looking with the few mods and lots of refurbed bits.

The seat is far from perfect but cost me less than a tenner to do myself and I will likely do it again, taking more time to avoid creases if it gets worse or doesn't settle.

New chain on, but I need to buy a new tool to fit the joining link, think I need a riveter?

I thought it would be a clip or something.

Next time I'm in the garage, we're going to finally fit that clutch cover and start this baby for the first time in months!!

Recommendations for a quality but cheap (as i'll probably never need it again) chain joining gadget.

See you soon.

Tony.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 4:49 pm