Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Paniers and Top Box for CB500S

yetanotherpunter

Paniers and Top Box for CB500S

Post by yetanotherpunter on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Just got a CB500S (in bright yellow!), which i commute on and want to get a topbox and paniers, any recomendations.

Ideally the box would fit two helmets as i often ride 2 up.

Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: Paniers and Top Box for CB500S

Post by eternally_troubled on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm

In my experience Givi is good; the box that I aquired is quite old but is still waterproof and I could easily buy spares (locks, seals etc) to fix it if it was broken.

I got a monorack cheaply (which is top-box only, no panniers) off ebay fairly easily; the full thing (a wingrack) is harder to find.
LI
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by LI on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 6:20 am

Givi is definitely the way to go.

yetanotherpunter

Post by yetanotherpunter on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 10:48 pm

Thanks for your replies

This may be a silly question but are the givi wing racks / monokey universally fitting or do i need a certain type?

Also would the CB500s need different ones to the standard CB500.

Thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 2:09 pm

The Givi racks are bike-specific although I think the CB500 and CB500S ones are interchangeable - anyone else know this for sure?
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 7:15 pm

The Givi site packs the CB500 >97 & CB500s together so it'll be the same rack/fittings needed. Pre 97 is a different kit though.
smokiewazhere
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by smokiewazhere on Mon 04 Oct 2010, 9:48 pm

try this i've had one for 2 years that is similar and is lasting well

GIVI STYLE TOP BOX UNIVERSAL FITMENT FREE DELIVERY

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIVI-STYLE-TOP-BOX-UNIVERSAL-FITMENT-FREE-DELIVERY-/390137065803?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ad5fb314b
150k_tim
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by 150k_tim on Thu 02 Dec 2010, 8:44 pm

Hi

Have just joined the forum and been looking thru old postings

Thought you may be interested to see details of my top box/panniers combination.

The rack is a GIVI monorack and the topbox a GIVI E45 which takes two full-face helmets.

The clever bit (in my opinion) is the panniers which are old Rickman ones. These are the same as Hondastyle ones from the 70s /early 80s and come up on ebay from time to time. I made my own mounting brackets/spacers so that they fit as neatly and tightly as possible and they stick out less than the handlebars. Carrying a pillion is no problem and they carry quite a lot of stuff. Overall I've been mega-impressed with them and very proud of the way I've fitted them! Very Happy

[img]http://www.cb500club.co.uk/[/img]

Hope this has been of interest

Tim
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 2:28 pm

Did you just bolt the panniers to the monorack bars? I had thought of doing this but was struggling to find any suitable boxes that didn't make the bike too wide once fitted.

I'm guessing from your comments that you've done some 2-up touring with this setup? If so, how did the bike handle with topbox, panniers and passenger? I certainly noticed when I have a passenger on mine or if I load up my top box...
150k_tim
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by 150k_tim on Sat 04 Dec 2010, 5:05 pm

Ive found having the panniers and topbox fiited does make it want to shake it's head slightly at about 40mph (but not below or above this speed). This isn't really a problem, you can just feel it slightly. Wouldn't reccommend riding with both hands off the bars though! Having a pillion on doesn't seem to have a greater affect.

I know what you mean about the width of panniers, I certainly wouldn't want any wider than this and would no way use a wingrack with Givi panniers!

To fit the panniers I had to make up mounting brackets which utilise the pannier mount holes already present on the monorack. This ensured that the panniers were attached through their internal steel strengthening pieces and with 3 mountimg points to brace them and prevent them flexing too much. I also inserted a bracing rod between the two arms of the rack as this steadied the whole thing up considerably. Fortunately I have my own lathe and welding gear for making these mounts. So far they've been on my two CB500s for almost 150,000 miles so I think my design has been proven!!!!!!!!!!

[img]http://www.cb500club.co.uk/[/img][img]http://www.cb500club.co.uk/[/img][img]http://www.cb500club.co.uk/[/img]

If required I can supply further advice/details
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 05 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

@150k_tim wrote:Ive found having the panniers and topbox fiited does make it want to shake it's head slightly at about 40mph (but not below or above this speed). This isn't really a problem, you can just feel it slightly. Wouldn't reccommend riding with both hands off the bars though! Having a pillion on doesn't seem to have a greater affect.

So far they've been on my two CB500s for almost 150,000 miles so I think my design has been proven!

Yes, I think I've noticed something very similar when the box is heavily loaded up... given that I've only got the monorack and box I think its probably something to do with the way the box sticks off the back of the bike behind the rear wheel.

@150k_tim wrote:
Fortunately I have my own lathe and welding gear for making these mounts.

That sounds like good stuff to have in the garage! I suspect that it would probably be possible to do something similar with angle iron, big bolts, locknuts and hammerite :)
Globetrotter

Awesome!

Post by Globetrotter on Sat 05 Mar 2011, 10:43 pm

@150k_tim wrote:Ive found having the panniers and topbox fiited does make it want to shake it's head slightly at about 40mph (but not below or above this speed).

Bugger me... I've been trying to track down why my front steering shakes slightly at approx 40mph, but over 45mph is fine and less than 35mph is fine... I've had fairing off, bought new tyres, new front brake disc (thinking it may be warped) and pads... I've had new front fork seals today (which were weaping) and I was about to embark on changing the head stock bearings!!!

You may have saved my a job - will remove and try without Gici box

Cheers

G-T

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 8:17 pm