Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Around the World on CB500

Share
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Around the World on CB500

Post by flashs on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:59 pm

This project has been moved here, from the general forum...so please check here for updates.....
I have also started a blog here for anyone interested in following....
Just copy and paste http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/


Last edited by flashs on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

update

Post by flashs on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:10 am

Bike went through its MoT today 15/4/2013 with no problems at all.......
Firmer shocks have been fitted (Hagon 20 kg stronger) & new std 525 chain and sprockets fitted.
Now to start all the alterations......
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1215
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by stormbringer on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 9:35 am

Interesting.
But access to your BlogSpot-thing seems to require being invited.
How does one become 'invited'?
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

D'oh!

Post by flashs on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

Working on it......didn't realise that....might set it up elsewhere.....

Done now... copy and paste http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Small Updates

Post by flashs on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 11:17 pm

Just some small updates........

http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Posts : 573
Location : Cambridge

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:20 am

Cool radiator modification, that's a good idea. The new steed is looking good!
avatar
stormbringer
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 1215
Location : Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by stormbringer on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:47 am

Holy cow. Looked at the pictures of your yellow bike - it seemed insanely overloaded with luggage. How much did you carry?
And the aluminium mesh trick is a strike of genius! Will instantly buy one. Not only does it protect the radiator - it looks cool too Smile
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by flashs on Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

stormbringer wrote:Holy cow. Looked at the pictures of your yellow bike - it seemed insanely overloaded with luggage. How much did you carry?
And the aluminium mesh trick is a strike of genius! Will instantly buy one. Not only does it protect the radiator - it looks cool too Smile
Yes! far too much gear......but not on the next one.....I'm going to leave my toothbrush behind lol
Strangely, once I quickly got used to the weight, it was really no problem, the bike handled it very well with stronger HAGON rear shocks(+20kg on each) and much stiffer Hagon progressive springs up front (on HAGONS advice, used their progressive BMW K100rs springs which fit well and were excellent for the load) Even got a bit carried away in Spain, chasing down a boy racer on a switchback downhill mountain road lol (got past him Smile even fully loaded lol
If you use the mesh.....make sure you add extra security to the plastic grill, or it may pop off!
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

latest update

Post by flashs on Fri 03 May 2013, 8:05 pm

Some more updates on the build........

Also, anyone going to the BMF ?
Check out my stand & say hello : )
http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Update on bike build

Post by flashs on Wed 08 May 2013, 1:20 am

This project has been moved here, from the general forum...so please check here for updates.....
I have also started a blog here for anyone interested in following....
Just copy and paste http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/


Just a few more bits done to the bike.....
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by flashs on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:44 pm



Last edited by flashs on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

UPDATES!

Post by flashs on Wed 22 May 2013, 3:46 pm

Recent update...... http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 96
Location : Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Round the World

Post by scottrichardwalker on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:51 am

Hi Flash

First and foremost, well done with how far you have come so far, really impressive!

You left one of your "Business cards" on my CB500 at the recent Horizons meeting and I tried to come and find you (Unsuccessfully!). I too am currently planning a RTW adventure on my currently unmodified machine. I have read your blog as well as this thread and there has been a lot of very good ideas and modifications mentioned. I will certainly be uprating my rear shocks, installing engine bars and building my own sump guard before I do anything else.

I thought that I would get in touch so that we could share our ideas and thoughts?

You said you wanted to get the bike down to approx. 150kg. That means saving 25kg or more from standard weight. Removing the centre stand will save 5-6kg, chopping the exhaust will save a similar amount so where are you planning on finding another 15kg of weight saving? With regards to the exhaust, I have found an old titanium end can and SS downpipes for next to nothing which I will probably fit. Only problem here will be the remapping/dyno time needed before I set off to ensure the set-up is as close to perfect as possible. That in my opinion (Although expensive, unless I can pull some strings!), will ensure you get maximum mpg as well as look after the engine. Running lean will increase mpg but I fear the increased heat within the engine and exhaust system (Especially in places like central Africa when temps can reach 40 degrees Celsius ambient) could cause reliability issues further down the line.
With regards to the rear shocks, you say you have fitted some Hagons. Could you let me know which ones you have gone for? You say 20kg extra on each, but did you get these specially made or just off the shelf? Similarly, you have said you have uprated the front fork springs on the advice of Hagon, a link to such springs would be great for research purposes! I have a scottoiler fitted to my machine, is this something you will be employing? I know that the overlanding community are split on this!

I look forward to your response.

Scott
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by flashs on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:23 pm

scottrichardwalker wrote:Hi Flash

First and foremost, well done with how far you have come so far, really impressive!

You left one of your "Business cards" on my CB500 at the recent Horizons meeting and I tried to come and find you (Unsuccessfully!). I too am currently planning a RTW adventure on my currently unmodified machine. I have read your blog as well as this thread and there has been a lot of very good ideas and modifications mentioned. I will certainly be uprating my rear shocks, installing engine bars and building my own sump guard before I do anything else.

I thought that I would get in touch so that we could share our ideas and thoughts?

You said you wanted to get the bike down to approx. 150kg. That means saving 25kg or more from standard weight. Removing the centre stand will save 5-6kg, chopping the exhaust will save a similar amount so where are you planning on finding another 15kg of weight saving? With regards to the exhaust, I have found an old titanium end can and SS downpipes for next to nothing which I will probably fit. Only problem here will be the remapping/dyno time needed before I set off to ensure the set-up is as close to perfect as possible. That in my opinion (Although expensive, unless I can pull some strings!), will ensure you get maximum mpg as well as look after the engine. Running lean will increase mpg but I fear the increased heat within the engine and exhaust system (Especially in places like central Africa when temps can reach 40 degrees Celsius ambient) could cause reliability issues further down the line.
With regards to the rear shocks, you say you have fitted some Hagons. Could you let me know which ones you have gone for? You say 20kg extra on each, but did you get these specially made or just off the shelf? Similarly, you have said you have uprated the front fork springs on the advice of Hagon, a link to such springs would be great for research purposes! I have a scottoiler fitted to my machine, is this something you will be employing? I know that the overlanding community are split on this!

I look forward to your response.

Scott
Hi Richard,
Pity we didn't get to meet at the show, I had a small (green gazebo)stand up next to some guys selling panniers (Metal Mule?) and opposite a giant teepee (wigwam) tent...... but maybe could arrange something soon? where abouts are you based? I am in Derby, just ten minutes away from the show (very handy).
The 150kg (naked bike) is just a target (as close as I can get would be nice)
Having tried this trip 3 years ago and getting as far as Dakar before my own body packed in (all ok now!) the bike ran brilliantly, even overloaded as it was, so I am drawing on that short experience for this second attempt (same route).
The main stand can be junked (big weight saving) and also room to fit a sump plate? you can always work out a way to move wheels etc at the roadside, chain lubing etc. (take off the tank and lay the bike down?)
My exhaust..........I have run the bike a few miles so far and it performs fine (K&N filter fitted), I have removed the plugs and they look a good tan colour, so I may have been lucky and not have to mess with carbs etc. I am taking it on a fully loaded long (1000mile?) run soon so I will let you know the outcome of this.
As I keep mentioning, this project is on the strictest budget (6 weeks ago I was broke Crying or Very sad) so a lot of stuff HAS to be, and not by choice.
As for the African heat, my previous cb ran absolutely fine (manual fan switch only used when at standing!) In the Western Sahara it ran fine even in the high 40's (the cb runs cool anyway) and fully loaded I got up to 69mpg (genuine) at one stage. So I am aiming for 80mpg from this one! and will be disappointed if not achieved.
Weight savings mmmmm! (Possible?) Renthall bars (2kg?) mirrors swapped for very light caravan towing ones DONE!(1kg?) Might swap the headlamp unit for a plastic one off a scoot? (2kg?) possibly cut off unused part of n/s footrest hanger (1+kg?) Have already removed some of the seat unit to fit the rack (1kg?) Might fit an alloy rear sprocket (Renthall?) (2kg?) toying with the idea of fitting 120's both front and rear (I find the front end a bit twitchy as standard and even worse when loaded, so a 120 on the front seems to make it a little more stable....going to try a 120 on the rear as well to see if it's feasible, if ok then one spare carried when needed will fit either? and it's hard to get 17" dual fronts so fit a rear the other way around on the front?
Hagons are really helpful.....just give them a ring and speak to the boss...(Martin I think?) they will build the rear shocks for you and if you butter him up....I think they are more or less the std price? (I found the +20 kg excellent on mine) but only when loaded as they are solid when not loaded! as for the front, we discussed, and worked out that BMW K100rs progressive spring might be better......and they were, (a bit stronger than the cb ones)
As for an oiler! I HATE CHAINS grrrrrrr! (wish I had a shafty lol) but a chain it is..........took the scottoiler off mine and sold it before I went....just used a little engine oil now and then after wiping dust off with a rag.........and after 5,000 miles to Dakar, the chain/sprockets looked fine and good for another 5,000 at least? to oil the chain without a stand........tip the (unloaded)bike on its side stand and front wheel, then chock the bike like that with a piece of wood or something (carried) under the right footpeg area......a bit precarious, but spin the wheel and oil away....
I am working on my own compact (Matchbox size) auto oiler at the moment (watch this space!)
avatar
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 96
Location : Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by scottrichardwalker on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm

Hi Flash

Yes it was a shame we didn't cross paths. That is how it goes sometimes, there was just so much to see and do!

I will definitely be getting rid of the centre stand, as you say, huge weight saving and no real need for it once you set off. I have seen pictures of your sump guard, it looks pretty heavy duty! I am thinking about making something similar out of aluminium chequer plate?

Glad to hear your exhaust is working well for you! I too have a K&N air filter and that along with the standard exhaust which I have fitted atm seems to be working very well. Will have to see how the titanium end can goes!

I would love to hear about your "Fully loaded run", that should give you lots of useful data/feeling about how the bike (And you!) will perform on the long trip.

My bike currently does 65mpg, that is unloaded. I reckon by the time I have made the alterations and tuned one or two things, I could get 75mpg, which I would be happy with. The longer the range the better. At 75mpg the tank range would be around 225 miles?

Good idea about the 120s, I have not gone on a loaded run so not sure if I will need to make any alterations at this point in time.

I have contacted Hagon (Yesterday) and I am awaiting a reply. As I intend to go two up (With the Mrs) the rear shocks are going to need to be pretty damn stiff! How much did you have to pay for them might I ask (Just a ball park figure will do) as like you, I am doing this on a tight budget! Similarly, how much were the BMW springs?

Your matchbox oiler sounds great. As I have a scottoiler already fitted, I will probably leave it as is, and perhaps add the "Lube tube" to give me extra range between fill ups.

As for meeting up, I live at Keele in Staffordshire, so not that far away from you. I am only in the very early stages of planning my trip, looking to set off in about 18 months time once I have prepared the bike, sorted the paperwork and saved up as much money as I can!

What is your planned route? Mine (Very loosely) is to do Europe on a loop, then hop down to Africa, circumnavigate Africa, then go up through middle east, through to India, China, Mongolia and then down through Vietnam and get a boat across to Australia. Circumnavigate this country then boat across to South America, then head north (Taking in as many countries as possible) before finishing up in the US. Then fly home. Simple? NOT!!!!!

Scott
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

reply!

Post by flashs on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:59 pm

scottrichardwalker wrote:Hi Flash

Yes it was a shame we didn't cross paths. That is how it goes sometimes, there was just so much to see and do!

I will definitely be getting rid of the centre stand, as you say, huge weight saving and no real need for it once you set off. I have seen pictures of your sump guard, it looks pretty heavy duty! I am thinking about making something similar out of aluminium chequer plate?

Glad to hear your exhaust is working well for you! I too have a K&N air filter and that along with the standard exhaust which I have fitted atm seems to be working very well. Will have to see how the titanium end can goes!

I would love to hear about your "Fully loaded run", that should give you lots of useful data/feeling about how the bike (And you!) will perform on the long trip.

My bike currently does 65mpg, that is unloaded. I reckon by the time I have made the alterations and tuned one or two things, I could get 75mpg, which I would be happy with. The longer the range the better. At 75mpg the tank range would be around 225 miles?

Good idea about the 120s, I have not gone on a loaded run so not sure if I will need to make any alterations at this point in time.

I have contacted Hagon (Yesterday) and I am awaiting a reply. As I intend to go two up (With the Mrs) the rear shocks are going to need to be pretty damn stiff! How much did you have to pay for them might I ask (Just a ball park figure will do) as like you, I am doing this on a tight budget! Similarly, how much were the BMW springs?

Your matchbox oiler sounds great. As I have a scottoiler already fitted, I will probably leave it as is, and perhaps add the "Lube tube" to give me extra range between fill ups.

As for meeting up, I live at Keele in Staffordshire, so not that far away from you. I am only in the very early stages of planning my trip, looking to set off in about 18 months time once I have prepared the bike, sorted the paperwork and saved up as much money as I can!

What is your planned route? Mine (Very loosely) is to do Europe on a loop, then hop down to Africa, circumnavigate Africa, then go up through middle east, through to India, China, Mongolia and then down through Vietnam and get a boat across to Australia. Circumnavigate this country then boat across to South America, then head north (Taking in as many countries as possible) before finishing up in the US. Then fly home. Simple? NOT!!!!!

Scott
Hi Scott,
Its an 18ltr tank.....so at 75mpg it should give almost 300 miles ? add a spare plastic can and you have around 350 miles range Shocked
Just give me a ring anytime if you would like to come over and have a looksee and chat (sat afternoon is good?) 07930916509 (John)
As I recall, I think the rear shocks were around £100+ (but that was inc the special attention + P&P + oil) The ones fitted to this bike are off my old yellow one and worked superbly! The BMW ones I have just reordered for my current bike at £90 I think?
Tight budget? we maybe have different ideas on that one lol! 6 weeks ago.........my budget was absolutely £0 & not too much better today lol. So quite a bit of work for me to do on that score over the next few months...
I plan to start on the same route as last time....France, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia etc. down the West coast & along via Nigeria (might go around there?) Cameroon & down the west coast to S A. Across to Sth America, Straight across the Andes to the West coast then North up through Chile, Bolivia (road of death?),Peru Columbia etc. through Central America into Mexico then the USA (for a while?) over to Australia then SE Asia to India/Pakistan, Iran, Turkey & Eastern Europe back to Britain......then who knows????
Cheers, John.
avatar
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 96
Location : Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by scottrichardwalker on Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:35 am

Morning John

Yes, you spotted the typo, it should have read 325, not 225!

As for tight budgets, as it has happens I have contacted quite a few companies, one of which was Hagon, another a local dyno tuning centre and have had conversations about them sponsoring me. Thus, in effect, I may get their products for free. This is all because I too don't have a great deal of money on tap, so will try anything to save a few pounds!

I will check my diary later and see what I am up to this weekend, if I can make it over on Saturday I will!

Why have you chosen to go Africa to S.A. then up to USA then across to Asia? Not that there is anything wrong with that of course, I am just curious as that is not the obvious route? Unless I am missing something here?

Scott
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by flashs on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm

Recent update of testing....

http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 96
Location : Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by scottrichardwalker on Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:10 pm

A really interesting update! Great to hear/see how things are progressing!

I had the regulator/rectifier go on mine not so long ago. Hint was it wouldn't start after I stopped off at a garage to fill up! When I fitted a new one (Find the newer version aftermarket ones that have cooling fins) I used plenty of heat transfer gel/compound between the back of the reg/rec and the backplate. This will help to dissipate the heat generated inside the device and (Hopefully) make it last longer!
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

minor update

Post by flashs on Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

http://atwi80m.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
flashs
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Awesome!
Posts : 76
Location : Derby

Updated......more to follow :)

Post by flashs on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:19 pm

Updated and more to follow Smile

             http://sharon2shoes.wix.com/townievtheworld


 Now residing Nr. Redditch....until my new leaving date of September ... if anyone would like to visit Wink  just give a call on 07796310891  1st Wink
avatar
scottrichardwalker
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Posts : 96
Location : Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by scottrichardwalker on Sun 16 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

Hi John

I have been following your exploits and change of blog site of choice! The latest version in my opinion is the best so well done. Not long until you set off again. Before then though is the HUBB UK meeting in the summer. Will you be attending again? I shall be there with myn(As yet) unmodified CB500 again. Hopefully I will bump into you this time!

Good luck!

Scott
avatar
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Posts : 1430
Location : not that far from Kirkistown

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by Beresford on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 4:26 pm

This has been quiet for quite a while but here is the latest news - he's due to depart anytime now.

http://sharon2shoes.wix.com/townievtheworld#!latest-news/c6rr
avatar
Tricky.
the 900
the 900

Posts : 721
Location : Derby

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by Tricky. on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:41 pm

i was wondering about him, he has previously put the date back three times already i think.
avatar
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Posts : 158
Location : Orpington, UK

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by stevew on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 10:59 pm

Looks like he's planning to leave from the "Overland Event" at Great Missenden next w/e.

Anyone going?
If so please come and say hello as there are a few of us on C90s camping there !


Sponsored content

Re: Around the World on CB500

Post by Sponsored content


    Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:57 am