Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Hi all, few questions

dstevec
dstevec

Hi all, few questions Empty Hi all, few questions

Post by dstevec on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

Hi guys, Thought I'd post up as I found the site after picking up a bargain 1995 cb 500. Got a few things to do, but should be fun getting to know her! Already discovered it's much comfier to ride than my last bike a 1998 R1.

I'm thinking about attempting the fork seals as one of them is leaking, but can't find a good copy of the manual. Went to the link provided but its broken, and other areas just lead to nice viruses that took me hours to clear!

Any help would be appreciated! Wink
eternally_troubled
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Hi all, few questions Empty Re: Hi all, few questions

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

Should be comfier than an R1! Probably not *quite* as fast...

You might be able to get a cheap haynes manual from ebay, like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500-CBF500-1993-2008-HAYNES-Service-Repair-Manual-/160994997312?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item257c0cb440

Fork seals shouldn't be that difficult to do - I managed it!

Failing that, if you post (or PM) your email address I'm sure someone will take pity and email you a copy ;)
Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Yeah fork seals are a doddle. I dreaded it and put it off for ages, then when it got really bad bit the bullet and it was no trouble at all. Get the manual, and you'll find photos on this site of various stages in the process which will help too.
badseeds
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:10 pm

Haynes manuals are shite. I can photocopy the relevant pages from the workshop manual and send them to you if you like.
dstevec
dstevec

Post by dstevec on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

If I could see both it would be great, and I'll see what is easiest to understand! Very Happy

s.a.mulligan@hotmail.co.uk

teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

Welcome to the club mate! Smile
Before you fit your new seals check the stanchions for any pitting otherwise all that hard work will go to waste.
You can flat any ridges with very fine wet and dry and fill the pits with araldite and smooth down. Not pretty but it works, credit to Eternally Troubled for this tip!
dstevec
dstevec

Post by dstevec on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:20 am

Thanks to BC for the section on fork seals. One thing that I didn't consider is the torque settings on the bolts! Is that something that I should invest in? Or could I get away with "tight"? Neutral

No stanchions on the usable part of the forks, Very Happy
teamster1975
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

@dstevec wrote:Thanks to BC for the section on fork seals. One thing that I didn't consider is the torque settings on the bolts! Is that something that I should invest in? Or could I get away with "tight"? Neutral

No stanchions on the usable part of the forks, Very Happy
If you've not worked on something like this before I would get a torque wrench but you do get a feel for how tight the bolts should be Smile
Just so you know; the stanchions are the chromed sliders that go into the bottom legs!
Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:04 pm

I just tighten stuff nice an tight, never used a torque wrench. At my brothers advise though, I only tighten the oil filter just enough so it doesn't leak. They can be a devil to remove.
dstevec
dstevec

Post by dstevec on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

Cheers, I think I'l guestimate the torque but have to buy a real torque wrench at some point, maybe for christmas!

So far I've bought:

Brake pads
Fork seals
Oil filter

I have some fork oil lying around along with some engine oil. Out of interest how many litres oil does the engine require? I've got just over 3 litres of 10w 30 that should do.
Basil Moss
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 2:50 pm

3 litres is plenty of engine oil. Do you have new dust covers for the forks? I got bushes as well, they weren't expensive. 15W fork oil seems popular, I've got 20W and it's "choppy" Twisted Evil
dstevec
dstevec

Post by dstevec on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

@Basil Moss wrote:3 litres is plenty of engine oil. Do you have new dust covers for the forks? I got bushes as well, they weren't expensive. 15W fork oil seems popular, I've got 20W and it's "choppy" Twisted Evil

The dust covers look in good nick. The bike has been sitting for a couple years then got a shock when I took it for a test ride. I've got 10w in the garage so will probably just use that!

Where it states 320cc is that per fork? And is the 150mm when measured sticking a ruler down from the top?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 2:59 pm