Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

2000 CB500S Over Haul ready for Summer

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: 2000 CB500S Over Haul ready for Summer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:21 pm

The beautifully powder coated wheels

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:22 pm

And my gorgeous new shocks

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

antonypo wrote:Id be interested in how to clean up  the engine.Mine looks ok but here and there its sort of flaking off assuming its original. I bought a can of simoniz aluminium enamel spray which is for engines but im scared to ruin my bike if its shite !
How are you going to clean yours?

Hi,
I haven't yet looked at what to use on my engine but it will probably be an enamel paint. Ideally I'd like to be able to strip the engine rights down and have the out casing shot blasted before I paint it however if I do that I'll never get it all back together! Main thing will be to ensure there is no grease/dirt anywhere, I find GUNK the best stuff for cleaning engines, not the spray stuff, get a tin of GUNK, small pot and a stiff paint brush. Then I think some fine wire wool will get it fairly well prepared for a new coat of paint. I'll pay more attention to prepping the side casings a bit better as they are more visible, so some wet and dry on those before painting.
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm

That's made my mind up; I shall have my wheels powder-coated.
TimReal
Running out of unique names
Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:34 am

I really fancy black shocks.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

I have black Hagons on my bike. They were on when I bought it about 2 years ago, and frankly I'm not impressed by the finish as the body paint is falling off and the whole lot are rusting badly. I am going to try painting them and if that isn't successful I'll get a replacement pair from these people. Their prices are very fair and they offer shocks for the CB - made in England too !!
http://www.tecbikeparts.com/Universal_shocks.html
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

Beresford, I bought a pair of those Tec Brand shocks a few months ago. Rust appeared after just two weeks. I cleaned 'em up with ACF50 and they have been fine since. They work very well, for the money, but don't expect longevity straight outta the box.
Beresford
the 900
the 900

Post by Beresford on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

badseeds wrote:Beresford, I bought a pair of those Tec Brand shocks a few months ago. Rust appeared after just two weeks. I cleaned 'em up with ACF50 and they have been fine since. They work very well, for the money, but don't expect longevity straight outta the box.
Right, noted. They do alloy bodied "upgrade" shocks. I wonder if they are any better, corrosion wise?
JoshSingleton
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by JoshSingleton on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:59 pm

If you go to people that can set up suspension they normally can get the srpings off and you can get the springs powder coated. I got told this off a person that has set up race suspension for riders that ride in BSB and wsb. So if you have hagons, sand them down and prep them and just get them powder coated. Cheap then a new set of shocks Very Happy
badseeds

Awesome!

Post by badseeds on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:28 pm

It's just a spring-compressor that's needed, most local workshops could remove the springs for you and reattach them.
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 1:57 pm

It was going so well... got engine cleaned up and painted, not looking perfect but much better than it was, finished painting downpipes, silencer is off at the moment with a welder to have the rotten link piece replaced and then that will have a new coat of paint as well... but then... I made a stupid error and hooked up the battery the wrong way round! Thought I'd popped the ICU, thankfully it was just the 30A fuse in the ignition circuit! Then I managed to cross-thread and bend an exhaust stud! So new studs ordered and hopefully they arrive quickly.
Jobs left to do...
Refit exhaust with new studs when they arrive
Test run the engine (make sure I've hooked everything up properly and routed all the pipe correctly)
Bolt tank on
Fit rear indicators
Fit panels
Get tyres
Fit wheels
Check her over thoroughly
Get the relevant paperwork
RIDE

Fingers crossed I'm on to the last item in the next couple of weeks!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 30 Mar 2014, 11:59 pm

That fuse does have its uses!
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sat 05 Apr 2014, 4:56 pm

Today is a good day. Downpipes fitted (still waiting on my silencer to be repaired!)... turned the key... press the start button and... she started! First time the engine hasn't been run in over 12 months and she doesn't skip a beat... gotta love Honda, in my experience with this and the CB250 I had their engines are bullet proof! No leaks of any kind and ticking over perfectly... I am one very happy CB5 owner.
All that's left to do is get tyres on the wheels and get them on the bike, refit exhaust and give everything a final check over. Should be able to get tyres Tuesday and hopefully have exhaust back by then as well so all being well she'll be ready for MOT by the end of the week!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 7:55 pm