Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

2000 CB500S Over Haul ready for Summer

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

2000 CB500S Over Haul ready for Summer

Post by jimbob89 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

Hi,
Here I'll try to keep up on the progress of my project to over haul my CB and post some pics. You can view all the pics here http://s1272.beta.photobucket.com/user/James_Bock/library/CB500S/CB500S%20Over%20Haul to see how the project is going, I'll only post a few on here.
Job List:
Remove panels, shocks, forks, wheels, rack, exhaust and seat - Done
Remove discs, sprocket and tyres - Done
Re-spray wheels from gold to gloss black - In progress
Clean and polish fork stanchions, re-lacquer fork tubes - In progress
Replace rear shocks (suggestions welcome...)
Drop out engine to be re-sprayed
Clean out the carbs
Re-spray exhaust
Service brake callipers
New oil, brake fluid, coolant, brake pads, choke cable, speedo cable, air filter, NGK Iridium plugs, exhaust gasket and clamp and tyres

That's it for now although considering re-spraying panels as tank and front fairing has a few marks, this will depend on time as I want to get the CB back on the road by end of April, if not they will definitely be re-sprayed next winter when I do some serious mods...
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: 2000 CB500S Over Haul ready for Summer

Post by jimbob89 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sat 09 Mar 2013, 4:04 pm

Slow progress at the moment due to wait times between coats of paint/lacquer! Front wheel had to have another coat of black as I went through when preparing for lacquer in a tiny area! Rear now has 2 coats of lacquer and looking good, will give it a gentle wet n dry tomorrow and a further 2 coats of lacquer along with the giving the front wheel its first 2 coats of lacquer.
Have started cleaning up the forks and prepping the tubes for re-spraying so they'll be sprayed one evening hopefully...
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

More to add to shopping list, new calliper seals on the front! Just been out to take the pistons out and the dust seals are well past their best! Thankfully pistons are fine. Off to wemoto I go...

Last edited by jimbob89 on Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
davetheworv
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 12:20 pm

looks like you could end up being their number one customer,lol good luck
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 3:24 pm

I got a rattle can with no rattle! Just grabbed my second can of lacquer for the next coat but after warming up and shaking for nearly 5mins still no rattle. Just been back to Halfords and none of the cans there had a rattle either! First can definitely did! Best bit... Girl in Halfords said... "Is it supposed to rattle?", ermmmm yes love!
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 12:52 am

Now going to be having all plastics and the tank wrapped. Going for a Carbon wrap on the mid/side panels and something close to Ducati/Ferrari Red for all other panels and the tank, been quoted £160 to do the lot... spraying would cost me £80+ in rattle cans plus prep materials and would take me at least 2 weekends if not 3 so reckon the wrap is the better way to go...
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Plus if you don't like the colour you can easily go back... Smile

I don't have any experience of how durable the wrap is... it will be interesting to see how long it lasts!
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 14 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

It'll be 5-7 year vinyl which relates to how long it stands up to UV before fading/cracking/peeling but as I'll keep the bike in the garage it won't get much UV. It will just be how it wears with abrasion from me getting on and off and with luggage attached however I'm thinking of having something soft to put over the rear seat to cover the panels before I attached panniers to minimise the wear from them and will do the same for my tank bag.
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

Got my deposit back from my last house today so brake seals ordered and time to drain the tank and get everything ready for wrapping I think! Must finish the wheels though, need them done by end of the month ready for new tyres! Had to work this weekend so no progress made on the bike Sad and I've run out of gas for the space heater so time to get a temporary spray booth set up in my lounge (sometimes there's big advantages to living alone!!!). After the wheels are done have tyres my next job will be to drop the engine out and respray that, hoping it'll look like new once I've finished...
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:24 pm

Sometimes living alone has real advantages, run out of gas for space heater and its bloody cold out there so as I needed a frame for hanging the engine anyway I bought it all into the lounge! Rear now all done (4 or 5 coats of lacquer should do it), front needs a couple more coats then its time for tyres! Got a price for tyres already, BT45's £193 the pair... Smile
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:19 pm

hi there just wanted to ask about the price for the tyres is that fitted??

pps all looks very good im in the process of respraying too but its my first time, ive not done a bad job but its not perfect by any means and didnt relize how much paint/lacquer you need Laughing just waiting on my radiator until i can put her back together!! look forward to seeing your finished project
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

Yeah that's fitted to loose wheel, Profile Tyres in Shirley, Southampton doing them. I've maybe gone a bit over the top with lacquer coats but the thicker the better, that way less chance of it chipping! You're never going to get a perfect finish with a rattle can but patience and preparation should result in a good to very good finish. I've been a bit busy last couple of weekends so very little progress but should be cracking on with it in the next couple of weeks, will continue to add pics as I progress.
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

How long does it take for the lacquer to dry im finding mine still soft after a couple of days but it is still cold, do you bake yours ? Im thinking of leaving it in the airing cupboard!
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 5:02 pm

I'm using Halfords PU Heavy Duty lacquer, just have the heating on in my flat and can do second coat after 30mins, no need to sand between coats unless you get a run.
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

Sorry bloody mobile phone!! Just seen you use a heater think thats my problem gonna get them near a radiator or something!!
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:27 pm

hi again Very Happy
just wanted to ask, i was told i need to t cut after laquer has set then polish up. on doing this with a side panel its not coming up as shiny as before. is it just more buffing or am i doing something wrong??

thanks for any help
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 8:42 pm

I wouldn't use t-cut personally. I'm only painting wheels so won't be polishing at all as the lacquer finish is glossy enough. I would suggest Auto Glym radiant wax polish as it's what I use at work on yachts and does a very nice job on cars and bike panels as well, t-cut is more like a fine cutting compound for getting out scratches. Auto Glym may bring back the shine after t-cut.
glen.wilson1@gmx.com
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by glen.wilson1@gmx.com on Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:42 pm

i think your right, i tried "muck off" motorcycle polish and it seems to do a good job on another panel.If i cant bring it up ill re laqueur the side panel. glad i didnt use it for the tank!!! i think I will try auto glym too just to see if its any better, thanks for the help much appreciated Smile
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 11 Apr 2013, 8:14 pm

Update... new finish date, hope to have it all done by beginning of July now as there's now more I'd like to do and I've got some extra booked in for some weekends so won't get as much time to spend on the bike!
New items include:
Re-spray brake callipers (black wheels, gold callipers won't look right so callipers will be red)
New bars (I'd like them to be lower and swept back a bit more if possible)
New mirrors (with built in indicators, mounted on the front fairing rather than handlebars)
Remove front indicators (as they'll now be on the mirrors!)
Small rear indicators (not too small but stock are far too big!)
New instrument cluster (still deciding exactly what to do with it)

I'll keep updating with any progress but so far got a bit p***ed off with it! Reaction between the paint and the lacquer on the front (lacquer cracked :@) so having to sand it back and start again, rear is looking great though!
antonypo
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by antonypo on Sat 29 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm

Id be interested in how to clean up  the engine.Mine looks ok but here and there its sort of flaking off assuming its original. I bought a can of simoniz aluminium enamel spray which is for engines but im scared to ruin my bike if its shite !
How are you going to clean yours?
jimbob89
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by jimbob89 on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:18 pm

OK, so original completion date was missed, revised completion dates also missed. Ended up with a rather busy year and just didn't get much done.
However thanks to some generous parents and grandparents I've been kicked back into gear a bit. Not too mention the promise from my Dad that he'll pay for my tyres if I get the bike back on the road before end of March!
Whilst I got the rear wheel painted for some reason I just couldn't stop the primer cracking on the front wheel, so I bit the bullet and got a quote to powder coat them. WheelSmart UK in Southampton quoted me £60 each however I got lost trying to find them and stumbled upon Trestan Finishers who I hadn't found when originally searching online, they ended up doing them for £30 each, thats shot blasted and powder coated in gloss black for £30 per wheel... BARGAIN! Picked them up yesterday and they're looking beautiful, regret ever trying to paint them. So now they've got my grab rails to do (£10 the pair) and soon they'll have the frame and swing arm which they're gonna do for £100 or less!

So engine came out yesterday, needs a good clean and then re-spray.
My shiny new Hagon shocks turned up yesterday, black springs with black body... no more chrome!!! Also new wheel bearings arrived with them.

So... new target completion date is end of March 2014! Fair bit to do between now and then... first job for this weekend, get the frame stripped and off to Trestan.

Seriously anyone considering painting their wheels/frame/grab rails/yokes/peg hangers... find a finishers near you and have it powder coated just remember bearings and anything plastic or rubber needs to be removed first. If you're in/around Southampton I would highly recommend Trestan Finishers in Woolston

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:07 pm