Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Boxing Day - CB500 vs. Diesel / Mud / Horse S**t /

georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Boxing Day - CB500 vs. Diesel / Mud / Horse S**t /

Post by georgecb500 on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:39 pm

Thought I’d start a blog covering how I get on with the repairs to my bike after my Boxing Day off! So welcome everyone to my first post …

I’ve made some progress but keep getting interrupted by the weather, so this is where I’ve got to so far.

The crash was a pretty typical RHS low-side at a very steady pace (thankfully!). So hopefully it will be useful as a guide for other newbie crashers on checking/replacing/repairing the typical things that get damaged.

Might as well start with a pic of the crash site from the direction I was travelling in. The bike spun 180 degrees once it started sliding so it hit the barrier top-side first. The screen shattered and clocks took a wack but I think this was probably preferable to forks vs Armco.

Got the bike home and it looked a bit sorry for itself. But so far, I’ve not come across any serious damage, hopefully it’s just cosmetic! Fingers-crossed!! Here’s a quick breakdown.
Screen: totalled

Mirrors: RH one is bent at the mounting point. LH one seems ok.

Clocks: Casing cracked near the mounting bracket and a graze above the tacho where I guess it contacted the Armco.

Bars and throttle: The powder coating has come away where the bars have bent slightly. RH end weight is clean gone and the throttle is jammed up with mud, grass and crap.

Front brake lever: Bent upward. Slightly annoying as I’d only replaced it in September!

Radiator panel: A few extra scratches but most of these were already there! Perhaps time for a new one or a respray?

RHS Footpeg: Snapped clean off at the hinge when the bike started sliding backwards. The hanger looks ok. Brake pedal seems ok, its been dropped enough times on this side that I can’t tell if this seems more bent.

Clutch cover: Corner ground off but not all the way through.
Exhaust can: A few more dints and scrapes.

First off I decided to invest in a pair of paddock stands. I know some people prefer to manage without, but I’m only getting the odd weekend to work on it and don’t fancy leaving it propped up on a car jack for ages. Plus they’ll come in handy for the Bandit too. Found these on ebay at 20% off for the pair [ebay link]. Good price, decent quality and work well enough.
georgecb500
Rossi
Rossi

Part #2

Post by georgecb500 on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

First afternoon working on the bike was to checkout the damage to the throttle and clocks.

From what I remember of the incident on Boxing Day the gauges work ok. I remember the tacho working just before I hit the kill switch! Either way they needed to come off.

Pretty straight-forward, just a case of disconnecting the wiring connectors inside the headlamp and unscrewing the speedo drive at the clock end before undoing the two bolts holding the clock bracket to the top yoke.

Its pretty obvious what happened here. When the bike hit the barrier the mounting bracket has bent until it contacted the casing and cracked it. Should be easy to fix providing I can bend the bracket back into something like the right position. Anyway that’s an indoors job.

A quick glance at the bars and they don’t look too bad. But sitting on the bike you can feel that the throttle side is bent forward and upward slightly. I don’t think I’ll manage to bend them back properly, so a replacements required.

I’ve not decided what to do about this yet … 2nd hand or OEM replacement would be easiest … but part of me fancies trying out some wider Renthals…

Checking out the throttle was next on the list. Opening the switchgear body showed everything at that end was ok. So, I removed the throttle grip itself. Naturally, freeing the cables to take this one item off involves removing all bodywork and the tank!

The plastic throttle tube had shattered, so that was another addition to the parts required list. Anyway, I took the opportunity to take a few photos of the cable routing for future reference, particularly if I go with the Renthals and need extended cables. The light (and temperature!) were dropping by the time I’d got the tank and panels back on so that called it a day.

A quick trawl of ebay later on found someone selling just the bottom casing for a set of CB500 clocks! Bonus! £14 delivered. Also picked up a 2nd hand throttle tube for a fiver + postage.
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Boxing Day - CB500 vs. Diesel / Mud / Horse S**t /

Post by teamster1975 on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 9:31 am

Nice result with those ebay bits and bobs, keep us posted mate!

Sponsored content

Re: Boxing Day - CB500 vs. Diesel / Mud / Horse S**t /

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 9:14 pm