You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

Where to get a new fuel filter?

Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Where to get a new fuel filter?

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 02 Feb 2013, 6:09 pm

So, next weekend I'm going to give my bike a bit of a clean up, including cleaning the tank. I've noticed that when it switch to reserve it doesn't pull so well, so figure there's some gunge in there. I want to have spare parts in case the filter is damaged, I understand there's a gauze in there to keep any crap out of the lines.

Thing is, I can't find the filter for sale anywhere! There are various "fuel tap repair kits" available with washers and whatnot - do these include the filter? Any suggestions?
Murray
Godly
Godly

Re: Where to get a new fuel filter?

Post by Murray on Sun 03 Feb 2013, 10:36 am

Try either wemoto or David silver spares.
If you can't find a tank filter then simply fit an inline filter.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm

Hello,

I'm assuming you mean part 2 on this diagram :

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=13MY5WEA&block_02=F__1300&block_03=1612

It is the fuel strainer (not really a filter - as it only stops big lumps of crap!)

It might well be blocked with crap/gunge. So it is worth taking the fuel tap out (if you can - I haven't every tried!) and cleaning it.

While you are there is it also buying a little petrol in a can and swilling it around the bottom of the tank and trying to 'swoosh' it out of the hole - this will hopefully remove any debris that might be lurking in there.

If it is knackered you can buy a new one from lings (the link above) or probably any Honda dealer...
dougxr
Squiddy
Squiddy

warning - don't strain the strainer

Post by dougxr on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 8:20 pm

I've only had the bike 3 weeks, so I'm new to the CB500 and this forum.
A week ago I fitted a in-line fuel filter (out of habit with older bikes) and noticed that that was getting full of rubbish, and the bike was misbehaving.
So I thought that I'd clean the carbs and the tank and fit a new in-line filter.
And have made a right mess of it.
When I've done this with other bikes I've drained the tank mostly and swooshed the fuel around with a few nuts and bolts in there as well to try and dislodge any rust.
So, had some difficulties draining the tank with a vacuum tank with no prime position. I was trying to filter this fuel through a big fuel filter I'd bought so didn't want to use my 'jiggle' siphon, which was too big to fit the filter.
So that got messy.
Threw some nuts in and swooshed away.
Removed fuel tap (full of gunk) and discovered the strainer. Which came out most of the way then stuck fast. A bit of wiggling and it seemed to move a bit, then broke.

So, just be careful when removing the fuel strainer! I don't know quite how it's supposed to be done, but good luck.

In between using the bike I'm going to keep trying to get the rest of it out, since it's not doing anything useful any more and will just clog up the tap or the in-line filter.

And I have to work out how to get those nuts. And the magnet that I sent in after them.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 8:57 pm

Hi chaps. I'm resurrecting this thread because on Monday I was stuck for an hour in the wet on the M6 Toll, out of fuel 9 miles into reserve. Breakdown people were refusing to bring me fuel because "health and safety - we can't fill you up at the roadside" and quoting me £200 to be towed to a garage of their choosing. Luckily the M6 Toll Incident Support Unit happened to drive past, stopped and like fine fellows, gave me a glug of unleaded out of a can they carry for the very purpose, gratis. I'll never begrudge paying the toll again!

Anyway, I've had 28 miles on reserve before now, and there was indeed still a bit of fuel visible in the tank when I was stuck there. This is the second time I've been stranded like this, it happened a few years ago and I took the tubular fuel strainer out and cleaned it, which fixed the problem - the lower part of it gets fudged up first. Anyway, I don't want it to happen again, so I've decided to remove the fuel strainer from the tank and fit a clear, inline filter on the hose, which will be easier to keep an eye on and less prone to the issue whereby you only notice it's clogged when you go on reserve. I'll keep a spare of these on the bike to prevent future petroleum based embarrasment.

Ride safe!
Jameshambleton

Post by Jameshambleton on Thu 18 Jan 2018, 10:04 pm

You much have some terrible luck, 9 miles on reserve is bad as it should be 2.5 liters.

Also sounds like you get loads of contaminated petrol, you can get filler neck filters, I remember reading about them the horizons unlimited site for people having issues with contaminated fuel in africa.
motofan
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Post by motofan on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 4:04 pm

Be careful with what you are doing! Removing the strainer in the tank will let lumps of whatever's in there go through the vacuum tap, this may block it open and tend to let petrol accumulate in your engine via evaporation from the carbs. You will have to close the petrol tap whenever you leave the bike for a time.
Hope this helps, Dave.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

Hmm, hadn't thought about the possibility of blocking the fuel tap. Perhaps I should just clean the tank properly. There are a few patches of rust in there...
hh_12345
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by hh_12345 on Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:04 pm

@Basil Moss wrote:Hmm, hadn't thought about the possibility of blocking the fuel tap. Perhaps I should just clean the tank properly. There are a few patches of rust in there...

My tank is rusty throughout and the filter was not even dirty, what does the dirt that blocks yours look like.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 22 Jan 2018, 9:34 pm

I'm afraid the best option is just to bite the bullet and clean out the existing filter.

Once you've cleaned it up, before you put it back on the bike, it might actually be worth sloshing some petrol round the tank to try and dislodge any loose bits, just in case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:54 pm