Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Muffs!

mikeh
Godly
Godly

Muffs!

Post by mikeh on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 2:39 pm

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone on here uses handlebar muffs in the cold winter?

I fiitted a pair of heated grips last winter...went of a cheaper pair (roxter) rather than Oxford and they're only ok but struggle in the really cold.

I was thinking of fitting a pair of Oxford Muffs when the cold weather sets in. That way I can switch on my heated grips and should be toastie and dry even with my summer gloves on.

That reminds me, I must fit a relay to my grips so I don't keep killing the battery like last winter.

Cheers
Mike
fryatuck
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Re: Muffs!

Post by fryatuck on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 4:02 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same thing only thing is the mirrors have to be poked throw the muffs, so a hole needs to be cut in muffs I think.
I think that heated grips will be on the list for me too.
Regards
Martin
TimReal
Running out of unique names

Post by TimReal on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

Top of the list for me are Oxford heated grips. Heard a few bad tales about muffs (no, not fannies) in terms of them wrapping around the brake lever etc. Put me off a bit.

What about wind deflectors instead?
fryatuck
Three's a Charm
Three's a Charm

Post by fryatuck on Fri 28 Sep 2012, 10:03 pm

my friend uses muffs on his fazzer 6 and has never had problems
moses

Post by moses on Wed 10 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

Work 100%. Just need to put mirror through and use a piece of threaded bar to take the place of the bar end bolt. Put this through the muff at a point that will stop it moving back onto either leaver and tighten up with washer and lock nut. Toasty hands espically with the heated grips, summer gloves will do.

Mo Very Happy
DermanMk2
Squiddy
Squiddy

Re Muffs

Post by DermanMk2 on Thu 25 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of pairs of Muffs for sale, please see under the For Sale section
andycamaro
Squiddy
Squiddy

Post by andycamaro on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

I used cheap muffs way back when and proved not to be as effective as I would have liked! so junked them off and then went to bushgards for mx bikes and did a lot better at diverting the air away from your hands and ok they would still get cold but not hypothermia level without them!
Heated grips in either application will also be beneficial
alexibrow
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by alexibrow on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm

I use a pair of narrow MX bush guards inside a pair of Givi muffs; there's just enough space inside the muffs to accommodate the bush guards, and they keep the muffs off the levers.

With Dr. Bike heated grips, my hands are toasty all winter!
steeeve66
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by steeeve66 on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:26 pm

Hi alexibrow - do the Givi muffs interfere with the indicator switch etc when installed over the brush guards? I've tried the same 'idea' with a cheaper pair of muffs and the guards had the effect of 'pulling' the muffs out and over the switches.

cheers,
S
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 4:31 pm

Hi,

With the onset of the colder weather, I just ordered a pair of the Tucano Urbano muffs that are compatible with bar ends.  Should come by the weekend.

When they arrive, and have been fitted and tested out, I'll let you know how they perform, both with my winter and summer gloves.

Jim
TimReal

Post by TimReal on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

I have Tucano Urbano muffs on a CB5 I've recently bought. They are superb.

There's a reasonable amount of metalwork involved in them that stops them interfering with hands and controls, which was my biggest fear.

They do take a bit of getting used to, as they are quite deep, so you have to get used to going in and out of them if you take your hands off the bars often.

In terms of doing their job - keeping your hands warm - they are amazing and I don't use the word lightly. My other bike has Oxford heated grips which are good but nowhere near as good as these. Heated grips keep the insides of the hand warm, but don't keep the cold wind off. Highly recommended.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 5:01 pm

Thanks for that TimReal!

Can I just ask you - did you have to adapt them at all to get them to fit on the CB500 - i.e. do the mirror stems get in the way?

Jim
TimReal

Post by TimReal on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

They were fitted when I bought the bike Jim, so I can't answer you fully but there doesn't appear to have been any modding needed. There's a section of Velcro that fastens around the mirror stems very neatly.

So I don't think you'll have any problems. Can let you have pics if you did.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Wed 11 Dec 2013, 7:42 pm

That sounds good - no mod required!

I'll let you know if I have any problems but it seems straightforward enough.

Jim
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

OK,

I've fitted the muffs and tried them out today.  Bit frustrating that I was distracted by a problem with the throttle not closing this morning (see other post!), but I did check that it wasn't caused by the fitting of the muff - it wasn't.

I'm happy that the muffs are going to keep my hands warm - I only used summer gloves this morning and they were toasty despite the air temp being around 6C during the ride in to work.

The only issue I do have with these Tucano Urbano muffs is that they do tend to slip off the bar ends too easily - anyone else had this trouble with them?  Any quick fixes??

Jim
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 11:37 am

I used the Tucano muffs last winter, the type that fit over the bar ends. I found that they did a good job of keeping the worst of the cold at bay and they kept hands dry. However at motorway speeds they had a tendancy to flatten down over the the controls which was something i got used to but it wasnt much fun. I didnt use the the kit supplied to permintely fit them. I also found that they frequently wanted to slip off the bar ends (if memory serves they came with a plastic shoulder to fit on the bar end which would stop that happening, or am I just imagining that??) 
I now have a shorter commute, use large hand guards and good summer gloves, even in the rain, as I've not got on with chunky sweaty winter gloves in the past. My hand are colder than when I used Muffs.

For me the trade off between having colder hands with handguards is far better than the ugly/irritating/slightly unsafe Muffs. Saying that, if I do go on a lengthy trip this winter I may be tempted to stick them back on. Dr. Bike heated grips sounds likes a better idea though.
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:19 pm

Yeah,

It's that plastic shoulder you describe which is popping off the bar end.  If I could just get that to stay put I'd be fine with them.

Jim
geewhizz
the 900
the 900

Post by geewhizz on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 12:54 pm

Would there be enough space between the plastic bit and the bar end to fit some quality double sided tape? the type for laying carpets? if so stick layer round bar end, slip plastic bit over and remove protective top layer from tape? Could possibly use contact adhesive or araldite too, is the plastic thick enough to thread a small grub screw in place?
jimbobs63
the 800
the 800

Post by jimbobs63 on Tue 24 Dec 2013, 1:21 pm

A couple of good ideas there geewhizz - I may well give them a go!

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 5:58 am