Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Project Junkfighter part 2.5!

Shadow_Alex

Project Junkfighter part 2.5!

Post by Shadow_Alex on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 6:57 pm

So I finally have the new engine!

One of my mates kindly allowed me use of his car (at a cost of £20 mind!) to go and pick up my new engine from my brothers work.

It cost £180, has 40,000 miles LESS than the original and only has one scuffed side! RESULT!

So now comes the many evenings locked away inside my garage with a wide variety of different abbrasive materials to try and strip it all down to bare metal for painting (too tight to pay for sand blasting!). After about 10 hours of scrubbing, dabbing, whiping, spraying and swearing... i'm about half way there!

but cleaning the engine is the least of my problems... when I got the new lump home I noticed, to my horror that the exhaust studs are in the cylinder head...

"Fuck that!" was my first thought! The bane of my life has been CB500 exhaust studs and now it seems i'm back at square 1! I chose to ignore the rusty bastards and continue on my rediculously monotonous task of stripping paint.

once it is all stripped its going matt black, all over!

On a positive note (sort of), My brand new twin headlights turned up the other day and look the absolute nuts painted matt black! The thing is, it kind of bought up a new problem. I dismantled the original headlight unit and removed it from the bike completely.
Now I knew I would have to do something about all that ugly wiring so the idea was to stash it all under the fuel tank. all except the indicator cables, main beam cables, parking light cables and... oh shit... the speedo cable...

Annoyingly, the CB5's speedo cable runs off on the left hand side (from riding position) rather than straight in the middle. My nice new headlights now can't go far back enough to reach the headlight brackets!

The plan was eventually to buy a new front end including USD forks and yolks, new wheel (ideally magnesium or C.F.) and new clocks with the speedo running off of the front sprocket rather than the wheel. The cost however is about three times that of the bike! Even more if I go for a more exotic material wheel set!

So now it seems my options are either to extend the headlight bracket by fabricating some little extension bars or to try and re-locate the cable into the middle of the front end without throwing off the speedo's reading!

Next step: Finish stripping the engine and paint/figure out what to do about my headlights!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Re: Project Junkfighter part 2.5!

Post by ashcroc on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 9:58 pm

Can't you get a new speedo without buying a whole new front end just yet?
Shadow_Alex

Post by Shadow_Alex on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 1:17 pm

I could but i'd have to buy another for switching it to digital reading off of the sprocket. either that or cut off the speedo cable and keep the speedo drive in place so i don't have a big gap between wheel and fork. might be do-able just need to buy the clocks now!
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Tue 31 May 2011, 7:57 pm

Just spotted these on the bay that'd sort the gap from removing the speedo drive. Wink
WillieD

Post by WillieD on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 4:59 am

I am really liking the sound of project junkfighter, I'll upload some pics of my ever so slightly lightened CB when I can.

You should not leave a man and a bike frame alone with an angle grinder.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:56 pm