Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Front engine spacers

halfspilt

Front engine spacers

Post by halfspilt on Wed 04 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

Hi all,

I'm after some front engine spacers for a 1998 CB500T, the engine bars are fine but the little cylindrical spacers have become powdery and the salt and have both cracked on the potholed roads of the past six months or so...

I've got the bars, rear and top spacers but the two lower/front spacers seem hard to find for reasonable money.

If nobody has any, I'm considering getting some made up by a local engineering firm, but I'd prefer to have to proper parts if poss.

Thanks!
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Re: Front engine spacers

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 1:26 am

To be honest I bought new ones when I swapped the lump out last year; they weren't very dear from memory!

halfspilt

Post by halfspilt on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 7:17 am

My local honda dealer want ~£80 for them , and can't find them online.

Where did you get yours?
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:28 pm

£80?!?!?!?! Shocked Shocked
I got mine from Portman motorcycles in Guildford with the front engine bolt. They're a Kwak dealer but they do me deals on parts because I fix their computers. I'm sure I paid about £30 for bolt & spacers!!
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:43 pm

teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

eternally_troubled wrote:Aren't they about 6 quid!

I'm sure they were peanuts, they're just bits of ally!

halfspilt

Post by halfspilt on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:47 pm

That's what I thought! Hence being outraged at the price that I was offered. They clearly saw me coming, gave me a story of parts being pricey and hard to come by given its age (clearly in retrospect looking for the "PX it and buy a new one, from us!" angle) glad I held off!

Thanks for that link eternally_troubled, #10 is exactly what I'm on about, didn't know that they were called collars, and am loving the associated price tag Very Happy. I feel a spares shopping spree coming on...

Thanks all for humouring my muppetedness! Will tell my machinist mate that it was a false alarm, though some custom milled bar ends couldn't hurt, it'll keep him occupied Wink .
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Thu 05 Aug 2010, 7:37 pm

That's quite a useful link actually, that parts catalogue! Cool
wavie
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by wavie on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 9:18 pm

the spacers are 22mm with a 10mm hole i bougt a piece of 22mm alloy rod from ebay for about £5, cut them to lenth and drilled 10mm holes through them using the old ones as a gide. its done the job and ive got some spare , havent tested them yet but cant see them being a problem.
if u havent got the time to do that i can recomend lings honda i got my bits from there including the front engine bolt and it was quick delivery.

halfspilt

Post by halfspilt on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm

Thanks once again, though I wouldn't trust my hamfisted machining skills! I've got a shopping list put together from the above link, among the goodies I've got a new shifter, the collars obv and some head bearings (darn kerbs...). The postage is a bit hefty if you just go for one or two small items, better value if you bulk up the order (excuse any typos - am at the pub! Aren't smartphones great?).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Oct 2017, 8:01 pm