Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

magnetic drain bolt and washers

BC3841
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

magnetic drain bolt and washers

Post by BC3841 on Sun 13 May 2012, 3:33 pm

Could anyone recommend a place that sells a magnetic drain bolt (17mm) and drain bolt washers for my 2003 CB500S please?
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: magnetic drain bolt and washers

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 13 May 2012, 10:04 pm

BC3841
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by BC3841 on Mon 14 May 2012, 12:09 am

Thanks very much 'eternally troubled'. I've just ordered them.
BC3841
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by BC3841 on Fri 25 May 2012, 12:20 am

I fitted the drain bolt and washer when I did an oil and oil filter change last weekend 'eternally_troubled'. Though the bolt was a 19mm one whereas mine is a 17mm, it fitted fine, with quite enough room for the 19mm socket. Thanks again.
mikeyg143
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 on Fri 25 May 2012, 10:20 am

just a quick question - what's the advantage of a magnetic drain bolt? seems like a waste of money when a copper washer is pennies.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 25 May 2012, 10:31 am

It's nothing to do with the washer... the drain bolt has a magnet attached to the end of it (look at the picture in the link above) which should attract any bits of metal that get worn off the inside of our engine.

This has two possible benefits:

1. Any loose bits of metal (flakes) are trapped on the drain plug and therefore can't do as much damage to your engine.

2. You can inspect the drain plug when you change the oil - normally there shoudn't be any bits of metal stuck to the end - if there are, you might have a problem, which you might not have realised otherwise.
mikeyg143
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 on Fri 25 May 2012, 8:08 pm

But isn't that what the oil filter is for?
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Fri 25 May 2012, 10:36 pm

Yes but you can't see the pieces of metal in the filter however some will be in the filter and some will be on the magnet.
mikeyg143
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mikeyg143 on Fri 25 May 2012, 10:50 pm

Right I see, is this common then? So it's purely so you can monitor the wear in the engine?
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Sun 27 May 2012, 10:06 pm

I would guess for cost reasons most new vehicles don't have magnetic sump plugs. however, it is a good idea to know what is going on in the engine.
Frog
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Frog on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

Hi

I use neodymium magnets like these (although I bought only25!): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-5x1-mm-craft-warhammer-models-or-magic-5mm-x-1mm-/151012549216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23290ca260

One on the filter and one on the drain plug - the magnetic field is strong enough to magnetise the the entire drain pug and the one on the filter helps hold microscopic ferrous particles in the filter - at least I believe it does and cutting open a filter seemed to support this - a little grey 'fur' where the magnet was (- on a car!).

They are pretty strong and come in a variety of sizes - they seem to stay put on their own or use a dab of epoxy under them. The engine does not get hot enough to demagnetise them.

Frog

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:53 am